'39 dodge truck powered by a 6.7 cummins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I never said you couldn't collect for the next project :)
I've got a 3rd generation camaro and a totaled Avalanche for my turbo 5.3l project.
But it's just collecting dust for now.

Lol keep an eye out for my newest quick build...it will be a foundation for a T76 6.0L 4l80 daily parts hauler.....and I just picked up the rest of my parts for an LSA blown LY6 6.0L....:D

A little update. Not much going on lately but started framing for the floor and building the rad and intercooler support.

Going to have to get creative with the intercooler piping in order to get to the intercooler

And one more. A "cool" pic.

The plan is to just use pins to hold the top grille piece on and have the bottom two pieces hinged so when the front end lays out the bottom pieces can move up and and be at ease on the ground.
That's all for now. It's been slow going lately.

Glad to see you back at it, some good progress. I'm about to start figuring out my rad install as well, I don't think it is going to be as complicated as your;) Looking real good.

Slow and steady, it's coming along nicely. [cl
Slow and steady seems to be the pace but I'll take it. Thanks soltz.

Looks like a lot of progress to me. Keep up the fine work, Axel.
Thanks bob w. I'm at that not picky stage so sometimes it doesn't feel like I'm getting much done.

Glad to see you back at it, some good progress. I'm about to start figuring out my rad install as well, I don't think it is going to be as complicated as your;) Looking real good.
I want to think I'm onto the "finishing" touches and possibly over thinking things a bit. Every item on my long to do list can be done many ways and I'd sure hate to have to redo something at this point. Oh well, nothing but time.

Well I have been puttering away lately. Just picking away at things.
Started to get the tunnel built.

Started messing with the master cylinder/gauge cluster/steering wheel bracket do dad who ha. The one that came from the donor wasn't going to fit under the dash so I had to get creative and come up with something on my own. It's a work in progress but I think it will work out alright.

I'm going have to do something around the gauge cluster and fill it in at some point and that will come. My plan is to hide all the necessary switches/buttons under the dash to minimize the modern look inside the cab.

As I go I have been putting the cab back on the frame to ensure fitment and good thing as I have learned when airing out the bags the cab doesn't follow the frame to the ground due to the rear drive shaft limiting out its travel and holding the transmission up. The cross member mounts to the transmission with rubber dampers which stretch a bit as the frame drops completely. There's a few ways to remedy this but I'm thinking the easiest will be to space the cab two inches up off the frame to give clearance between the trans tunnel and trans.
My next issue is getting a floor shifter figured. I kind of overlooked this when putting the tunnel in. Oh well. I'm learning as I go.

Wiring

Well I finished making the last piece of the trans tunnel made. It took a little bit of work and time as it required the bend to form over the tunnel as well as a slight bend up towards the firewall. It's anything but perfect as I don't have the fancy tools like an English wheel,just a hammer and a few different objects to beat against. It needs a little bit more work but I'm happy with it so far.

As I was fitting the last of the trans tunnel I figured I better face the wiring harness and get it tucked away while the cab is off and there is room to work. So this weekend I broke out the soldering iron and trimmed as much wire off as possible and started the routing of the harness.

The brain (main computer and fuse box) is located in the glove box so I won't have to get all out of shape to get to the fuses.

Anyone familiar with the newer dodge trucks knows about the buttons in the steering wheel to access the trucks display which gives you a hand full of options and I wanted to keep that feature so I built some brackets to house these buttons as well as the headlight switch and 4 wheel selector and signal lights/high beam and wiper leaver.

I'll get these welded in under the dash out of sight along with the air valves once I get the harness secure and out of the way. The goal is to have everything in place and plugged in before setting the cab up right. At that point all wiring that has to be ran through the firewall will be ran and I'll set the cab back on the frame and plug everything in.
I've also started on figuring out the shifter. Since the original has the park lock out sensor on it I have decided to just go ahead and re use it.

it's just a column shifter and instead of pulling it back then sliding it down to select the gear I'll just pull the shifter sideways (to disengage the detents) and slide back to select gears. I think it'll work just fine.

My biggest fear when I started this project was all the wires but once I got at it it wasn't that bad. I guess I'll see once I go to turn the key.

Yup wiring is not my favorite thing either, I got help coming for mine. I can't imagine trying to figure out the mess of wires your dealing with. Progress looks great.[cl

Not sure what happened the last three months but it's safe to say I've been slacking.
The cab has finally made its way back onto the frame. Hope I got it all right under the dash.
Here are some pics of the progress.

Where you hiding gunz. Missing following your build

I think is was a big rock.
Had a bunch of life hit all at once and it nearly destroyed me. Not a good place to be.
Put the rat on rollers and pushed it off to the side to collect dust.
I'm back. It's been awhile it has. Progress is going to be slow as I get back up In the saddle as they say. But I am back.
I've taken a quick look on the forum here and it's good to see the usual suspects still plugging away. Some of you fellas completing your projects or at least driving them,which is just awesome. Brings a much needed smile and some inspiration.
Anyway, figured I'd check in and let you know the show will go on.
My goal has always been to drive my son to his first day of school when that day comes. I have a few years yet, however I'm as anxious as ever to join the 'completed' driving it gang and get as far away from the 'I stalled out so I sold it' club as I can.
I guess I could post a video of pushing the rat back to the centre of my garage or something but that would be all the progress I have. Pretty exciting stuff I know.
I'll be sure to add some pictures as I do actually gain some real progress this year I promise.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back