'41 Chev panel gasser build!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
I recently scored this '41 Chev panel & have been threatening to build a gasser so here we go!!! Got the front end off & will proceed to build a box up front to attach the gasser suspension to... will order that shortly & post from there! Got a LS1 & tranny from a '02 Camero & plan on fakin' in a stack of injector style pipes. It'll be sorta ratty with red oxide primer where truck is currently red & shiny black fenders. Gasser front wheels & probably wide Cragars on da back! This should be fun!!!

BoB

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 145
  • panelfront.jpg
    panelfront.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
All Right !!!!!

Sounds very cool.... :cool:
I am looking forward to following this one... :D '22

That happens to be a sedan delivery which is sized more closely to a car. Makes your panel/gasser project all the more unique. My brother in Kansas has the Suburban equivalent to your panel and he has a 468 BBC for it. I don't know if he'll ever get it together unless I visit him for a week or two to motivate him and do some preliminary work. You are going to have a truely one of a kind machine!

Front end!!!

Got the front end off the panel & measured up for the gasser front end! Ordered a gasser front end kit from Speedway on Friday. 48" wide lowered 4", 11" disc brake kit - Ford bolt pattern... should be here mid week. Doesn't look like I'm gonna have to build a box for the front but will box the existing frame instead! Also ordered motor & tranny mounts for the LS1 & 4 speed OD. Gonna get this sucker on da road quick for some of the comin' shows! Anyone local want the old dual leaf front end? Have a dual leaf front for a '46 Dodge pu too... er... did I mention... free!

BoB

Attachments

• panelfrontend.jpg
    panelfrontend.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 81
More Christmas presents!

Sweet!!! The gasser front end, motor & tranny mounts for the LS1 came in today!!! Still in da boxes but pictures real soon!!!

BoB

You'll truly have a rarity there, Tripper.:cool: I look forward to following this build.

Hey i have one exactly like it ...going to folow this one closely.Hurry up and get back to work. but first have a cool one.Den

Part #'s

I'll post all the part #'s in the next couple of days! The kool thing is I'll be able to use the stock steering column & box & it looks kool too... I'll post some pictures of it!

BoB

Progress

I'm pretty much in a rush to get this panel on the road so here is the engine & tranny gettin' mocked up. Measured for an rear axle & found a guy who has a 1 out of an old Cougar that is perfect & only $250.

BoB

Attachments

• panelmotor1.jpg
    panelmotor1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 100
  • panelmotor2.jpg
    panelmotor2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 94
  • paneltranny1.jpg
    paneltranny1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 67
ADD

Tripper, how many vehicles are you working on? I can hardly stay focused on 1 or is it 2, man I confuse myself. :confused: I'm pretty sure they will all turn out awesome! :D

Er... did I mention my ex once gave me a book on ADD. Said I should read it as it might answer some questions for me! Never could finish that book!!! Ha!!!!!!!!! Plus... it sorta helps that I'm semi-retired.

BoB

I'm really workin' to get this on the road & got hte rear end yanked... out with the bad... in with the new! Cougar rear end supposed to be delivered this afternoon.

Hey Bob, is there an engine under all of those tubes and wires? :D

I hope so & isn't that disgusting!!! I'm definitely gonna cover that mess up!

BoB

Attachments

• rearout1.jpg
    rearout1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 50
  • rearout.jpg
    rearout.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 45
Fits!

And you would not believe how well this LS1 fits in here... everything lines up... tranny mounts & ck the orig steering box which I wanted to maintain... it fits *perfectly* in a small space on the motor... like it was made for this swap! Awesome!!!

BoB

Attachments

• LS1mock.jpg
    LS1mock.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 104
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 109
And you would not believe how well this LS1 fits in here... everything lines up... tranny mounts & ck the orig steering box which I wanted to maintain... it fits *perfectly* in a small space on the motor... like it was made for this swap! Awesome!!!

BoB

Man, those engineers back then were thinking way ahead and designed the chassis for an LS1. Wow, that's amazing. Bet a 216 won't fit in C5 Corvette or an '02 Camero.

Latest posts

Back