41 chevy 1.5 ton, second build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good man...! That's a pretty big chop, going to look wild when it's done...

It's odd on those cabs how the body line on the backs rotted, I know a guy working on a 46, his bodyline has the same thing going on... I suggest when u have the top off working on that if you ate planning too... I had a bunch of dents in my bodyline and it was nice and easy to work them out when the top was off lots of access! I also worked out the dents in my roof when it was off much easier then trying to hammer up crouched in the cab

thanks corpo.

i did cut the top off today, started to weld it back down on p side a pillar. had to stop for my boys bd party and we got a shin dig to go to today. tomorrow i will be full steam ahead, lol. im going with the section top instead of the lean back pillars.

i did pound out the roof dents when it was off. i also bought a spare parts hood that im going to take the body line off of that to put on the back of the cab.

well off it came yesterday. got it started back on.

chop002.jpg

chop004.jpg

chop005.jpg

chop006.jpg

i like the way its turning out. im going to have to do the releaf cuts on the rear section on the corners. i have the window tacked in. it was starting to warm up today and i felt i better jump into the olds and take it for a ride before i dont have the chance.

chop008.jpg

chop009.jpg

chop011.jpg

tomorrow i will fit the missing pieces in and start to mow down the welds. were doning some sand blasting at work tuesday, i would like to drop it off and get it cleaned up for next to nothing.

clo011.jpg

clo013.jpg

clo014.jpg

Looks great but I have a general question if u dont mind.....How do you grind down all the welds without removing too much material in and around the welds .....I struggle with this and my weld will crack in some places after grinding and cannot figure out how to beat this problem

Lookin good .....just wondering how you or if anybody else knows how to redo the beltline below the rear window or if anybody repo,s this piece.

Looks great but I have a general question if u dont mind.....How do you grind down all the welds without removing too much material in and around the welds .....I struggle with this and my weld will crack in some places after grinding and cannot figure out how to beat this problem

i do that to. i just take my time and make sure i dont heat up the area.

Lookin good .....just wondering how you or if anybody else knows how to redo the beltline below the rear window or if anybody repo,s this piece.

im going to cut it out, i got a spare hood that has the belt line that im going to weld in.

getting closer.
cut a piece of 2" sq tubing like this for the door jamb filler.
roof001.jpg

weld it in.

roof002.jpg

salvage a piece of rain gutter that you hacked off earlyer and tac it in.

roof007.jpg

roof005.jpg

make sure everything lines up and go to town.

roof005.jpg

then cut the top of the door off and make sure it shuts. it does lol.

roof007.jpg

now for the bad part, have to do it again on the other side, lol.

ok, its early to check height with me in it but i would like some input.

im thinking of raising the bottom of the cab as well. i would say 4 to 5" to take away for the overall height of the doors and make it look more to scale.

heres a before.

roof007.jpg

heres my photoshop (paint, lol) version. i would like to take it up the entire way of the patch pannel on the bottom of the door. move the bottom body line up as well to match.

roof007-1.jpg

what do you think?

heres a little better photoshop ( paint, lol) pictures.

now,

ohy005.jpg

what it could be,

ohy006.jpg

thanks for your comments.

i would like to ask you why you would not raise the bottom of the cab?

Room in these cabs is pretty limited... you might want to hold of on sectioning the cab till you get it on the frame and the engine mocked up and see what sort of space you have...

just my 0.02

Another thing to keep in mind is the grill shell/radiator.

When you cut down the body, it is hard to make the nose line up. I don't care for the grill being taller than the cowl.

thanks corpo and flipper

flipper, i still have to cut the grill shell on my olds. i got a bunch of stuff planned for that over the winter as well.

Latest posts

Back