41 chevy 1.5 ton, second build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beltline repair

Good idea on using the hood for the beltline repair,I never thought of that.....keep us posted with lots of picks when ya start on that, Im shur there are others that have the same repairs to do...D

Looks great but I have a general question if u dont mind.....How do you grind down all the welds without removing too much material in and around the welds .....I struggle with this and my weld will crack in some places after grinding and cannot figure out how to beat this problem

Most don't do it this way, but I left extra material and used a flanging tool so there is metal left below the weld. It works better for me anyway. Then just seam seal when done.

100_0086.jpg
[/IMG]

well, i got the body sand blasted today, rushed home after work (after unloading my wallet at the paint shop) and put a coat of metal etching primer on inside and out. try to get another 70yrs out of this truck.

pics tomorrow.

well here it is primered. didnt get any pics of it in the raw blasted state. i had it blasted inside and out. i laid 2 coats of metal etching primer down, its green in color but it shows up gray in the pics.

primed001.jpg

primed012.jpg

primed002.jpg

primed011.jpg

the areas where the fender was attached looked really bad before it got blasted. there are some holes but it looks better than it was.

primed003.jpg

primed009.jpg

primed010.jpg

primed004.jpg

well, here are my patch pannels for the rear body line. they were removed from a hood i bought a while ago.

primed007.jpg

primed006.jpg

nice man... i wish i could shell out to have my cab blasted.. but my cheep self will just continue to toil away with the wire wheels

heres the rear body/ hood line lol. i cut 2 1/2" from the bottom of the hood lip. then on the other cut where the hinge is i cut from the outside hood line 1/4". i think 5/16" would be better. the hood body line is a little smaller in height, that is where the 5/16" would come into play because you have to hammer it open just a little. you also have to set your vice close and give a pull back on the top seam to lay it out some. give it a little arch on the knee and install it.

bodyline002.jpg

bodyline005.jpg

the holes are there for 2 things. 1- to weld it back to the bottom pannel as chevy spot welded it there. 2- i used self tapped screws to pull it tight, if they stripped i just used a 1/4" bolt and nut to get it tight and welded it.

bodyline006.jpg

heres where im at now.

bodyline008.jpg

Hi Deerchopper,

I just found your build this morning for the first time. It looks like your doing a great job.

You asked about taking some off the bottom of the cab. I have the same cab as you and chopped mine five inches. I took three inches off the bottom of the cab and channeled it three and a half inches over the frame. I am six feet tall and still have plenty of head room inside. I do use a signal light viewer so I don't always have to bend down to see the signal lights. In normal driving it's pretty comfortable. I have over 4000 miles on it since March and wouldn't change a thing about my chop.

Here is a link to my build. http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10825

Here is a link to all my build photos on flicker. http://www.flickr.com/photos/five_wide_club/sets/72157612192731377/

Keith

nice build keith.

what year econoline did them seats come from?

my progress is slow right now, but i plan on hitting it hard next week. i really really REALLY hate body work. but im going to forge ahead and get the cab done 1st. my buddy is a body man and he is going to help me finish it when i get all the welding done. once that is over things are going to move quickly with the rest of the truck. im more of a mechanical/ frame type and not to happy with body stuff.

i did get some parts while moaping on the build. i got a set of megs, 41-48 tail lights, spoon pedal with cable, sw gauges (dont know if there going in this) and a couple of other things i cant remember. i also got a 35 chevy truck grill and shell for christmas.

i did finsih welding the rear patch in yesterday and started on the pass side door frame top. tomorrow i will get out in the cold and see what i can finish.

I'm not sure what year the seats are out of. They were already out of the van when I found them at the wrecking yard. My grill is out of a '35 Chevy. I cut it down three inches so that the top of it was level with the cowl.

Keep up the good work and Merry Christmas. Keith

i hate winter, even the 165,000 btu torpedo heater i have hates it, lol. it just makes things go slow for me, kinda in a hibernation mode.

anyhow, i plugged away at the door some more and the pass side a pillar. not done but getting there. the out side of the door skin looks good where i patched in the door top. but what i didnt figure in is all the missallined inner structure that i have to play with and make look good. i just dont recall anybody showing that in there builds.

enough gabbing heres some pics.

yes001.jpg

yes004.jpg

heres the back repair, next trick is to figure out how to make the hood side wrap around the cab.
yes006.jpg

heres some of the parts ive been getting. i just got the bones today. i might take the headlights and put them on my olds. the grill shell, well i dont know where that is going yet, lol. the megs i got online

yes013.jpg

yes007.jpg

yes010.jpg

yes011.jpg

heres the door and b pillar missalignment and my fixes.

i took a pic of the driver side to give you an idea of what i had to work with on the pass side.

door001.jpg

door002.jpg

i took a piece of what was left of the section i cut out and made a bridge to fit on the inside so it was flat for the window seal. the out side of the rear door i tapped into place, cut the funny square shape and laid it back to match the upper section.

door003.jpg

just a pic of the top repair/ fix.

door004.jpg

i then moved on to the b pillar/ door sill. i cut it a few times and hammered it back to blend it in. once it was welded i cut a little piece to fill in that recesed are as well to make it look like it was never there.

cut and hammered
door005.jpg

welded together.
door006.jpg

added filler and smoothed.
door007.jpg

i also got the a pillar welded up today on the pass side, i still have to do the inside of the a pillar. i also started with the drivers door top and got that tacked in and the upper filler strip installed. those pics will come tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back