41 chevy 1.5 ton, second build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i got back at it again this week, since i got the drive train mounted it was time to
put the body back on. i forgot, i went to the junk yard this week to return some coil
springs that were to big, i found a set off of a 2009 ford focus, pretty compact and i
think they will do the job for this light truck. i made some axle mounts, put in a cross
member/ top mount. i havent nailed anything down with the springs just incase i need
to adjust ride height.

brakesbed001.jpg

brakesbed002.jpg

brakesbed004.jpg

brakesbed008.jpg

if you look close and infront of the rear 2"x4" cross member
you will see some square pockets in the lower frame, that is where my cab bolts down
with the oem mounting holes. next it was time to figure out where to put the 86 stang
brake booster and battery, well i spent 9hrs today getting that done. there just enough
room to get all that in there.

quiz time, what do you think those u shape, 1 hole pieces are? next to the battery box and booster
on top of the frame?

brakesbed005.jpg

brakesbed009.jpg

brakesbed012.jpg

then i started on the bed frame, took some time to plan out but i think i got it.
how do we get to the battery, brakes? well we make a dump bed. im going to get 1 of those electric
ram to operate it. this is what i like to do and see progress happen infront of you eyes.

tell me what you think!!

brakesbed013.jpg

brakesbed014.jpg

brakesbed015.jpg

brakesbed016.jpg

Don't want to be a wet blanket, but if the battery is under the electrically operated dump bed, and the battery goes dead, how are you going to get to it to charge it?:confused:

well you got several options.

1. hook hot to starter.
2. hook to alternator
3. install a set of jumper posts in the cab under the seat/ kick plate, or in the roll pan like most drag cars.

Makes sense. I like how you mounted the master cylinder in what would otherwise be wasted space. Lookin' good so far.

well ive been working on the bed and brakes.

tbrake001.jpg

have to give a little clearance for the tilt option.

tbrake002.jpg

yes its uneven, had an issue with the one side not sitting flat on the stop. its fixed now.

tbrake005.jpg

tbrake003.jpg

the start of the brakes. the lever is on a 45* right now. it works threw its range of motion.
i think i might redo the linkage/ lever/ pivot arm with 2 arms and a shaft conecting the two on
bearings. 1 arm will be 90* to the shaft and the other arm 180* from the other arm.

tbrake011.jpg

the pedal i used a piece of 3/4" solid rod. drilled and tapped for 1/2", welded to the frame with
a bushing.
tbrake008.jpg

tbrake009.jpg

well a little update on the pickmup truck.

i went to a car show a while ago and they had a chinises (sp auction. i seen these block hugger headers in the line up and noticed
there wasnt to many tickets, so $15 bought me 18 tickets. as you can see the odds were stacked in my favor, lol.

41truck001.jpg

also a little more bed work. got the rear pan welded in and made my stake sides.

41truck004.jpg

41truck006.jpg

i also redid my brake linkage with bearings, 3/4" solid rod and its smooth now.

41truck002.jpg

thats it for the pictures for now. but i just happened to pick up a front leaf spring, shackles and perch bolts today.

i also went to a swap meet last weekend and got a set of rubber 8 rod ends with bungs and 2 hiems with bungs brand new for $40.

a set of rear stainless steel hair pin/ ladder bars with rod ends for $15. the hair pins and rod ends might go to the next build.

well i hung my front spring and sat it back on its feet, been a allmost a year since it was a roller.

trucks016.jpg

trucks017.jpg

trucks018.jpg

trucks019.jpg

ok i need some help.

its kinda hard to keep a game plan when you have a hot rod buddy down the road with all kinds of parts laying around. well he came over and said, i wonder what it would look like with my pie crust slicks and bucket headers on it. the slicks i really wanted to try, the headers was an option. then i pulled down the early chevy grill to top it off.

what do you guys think on the direction?

ohboy005.jpg

ohboy001.jpg

ohboy002.jpg

ohboy004.jpg

Headers look good, get the chrome off of them and wrap them in exhaust wrap. The grille looks stupid so you should send it to me.....

did some work to the truck since the weather has been good.

i mounted the grill shell and radiator, then moved it back and up a couple of inches and remounted it again.

P3210025.jpg

P3210028.jpg

i also got a steering from speed way and set my steering up.

P3210026.jpg

P3210027.jpg

also added some struts to my bed to help support it when working underneath, also added the pipe to the top of
the bed rails to finish off the look.

P3210031.jpg

P3210030.jpg

then my buddy gave me a 9 gallon air tank, i added 5" to it and turned it into a 11 gallon gas tank.

P3210029.jpg

P3210032.jpg

Latest posts

Back