'45 Ford PU on Chevy LUV chassis (more pics)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolVanilla

Maybe the pics are posting....hope so. Maybe you can tell how these little chassis' seem to lend themselves quite well to our hobby. I've done nothing to the chassis other than some lowering blocks in the rear and replacing the stock steering with a rack and pinion.
I cut the floor from the original bed and welded the Ford bed sides and tailgate to it. This allows it all to bolted to the frame using the stock mounting systems. The front of the cab is exactly the right width to slide down over the frame about 4". It fits where is needs to be if installing a small block chevy. Unlike the S-10 frames, the LUV moves the front wheels out further for a more balanced look.
The seat is the 3rd. seat from an earlier suburban ($30.00). I'd love to have the aluminum bombers but couldn't beat this price. I currently have less than $400 in the entire rolling chassis. Not bad considering power disc brakes, independent front suspension with adjustable torsion bars, and a narrow, parallel rear leaf sprung rear-end.
The cab is chopped 4". I did the style that lays the windshield post back rather than splicing the top. Was a sh--load of work...will probably try the splice-style if I ever do this again!
the truck is currently painted, and just about ready to go for a test drive...current plans are to try to finish by the end of the month - if weather hold out! Hopefully, will be at the Austin Roundup in April!

Attachments

• get-attachment (12).jpg
    get-attachment (12).jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 93
  • get-attachment (13).jpg
    get-attachment (13).jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 83
  • get-attachment (14).jpg
    get-attachment (14).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 84
  • get-attachment (15).jpg
    get-attachment (15).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 85
  • get-attachment (16).jpg
    get-attachment (16).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 79
  • get-attachment (18).jpg
    get-attachment (18).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 98
  • get-attachment (19).jpg
    get-attachment (19).jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 81
  • get-attachment (24).jpg
    get-attachment (24).jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 111
  • get-attachment (25).jpg
    get-attachment (25).jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 88
  • get-attachment (28).jpg
    get-attachment (28).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 87
God looking truck.[cl
From the pics it looks like the chassis works just fine.
Splitting the roof on a chop is a ton of work as well.
Torchie.

The original steering has the box placed in front of the centerline of the wheels atop the left framerail. This works fine for a fat fendered car/truck as all of this is hidden, but looks out of place on an exposed style vehicle such as I'm building.
I removed all of the steering, idler arms, linkages, and front facing strut rods. The only thing left is the arms from each spindle. I installed a rack & pinion onto the front of the crossmember building my own mounts. All of this is hidden under the louvered pan beneath the grill.
I took the wishbones from a '37 Ford (split) and welded the ends from the original strut rods onto the wishbones and ran them backwards toward the cab. From the side this looks quite similar to what the old hot-rodded "I" beam front-ends look like....and I don't think the front A arms care if they are stabilized from the front or rear. I built a drag coupe with this same style and worked quite well.

What's the R&P from? If you could, I'd like to see a few more picks of that front suspension and steering. I do like how far forward the LUV frame puts the wheels.

Looks good. I considered the Luv frame,had one of them lying around too.lol but was afraid the torsion bars were going to crowd things or have trouble mounting air bags so I used a Courier frame instead.
Nice job,welcome to RRR

Kool build
You must have a louver punch. Looks very good
The LUV frames look like a good match to me.
You're doing a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When you post, you need to just click the Post Reply button on the bottom left then click on the Manage Attachment button to add to your build thread.
What you're doing is adding a New Thread every time you post new pics. This is the second thread on the same build you have going. The first build thread is here http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32853
Rat Rod Mod will you combine the two threads for us. Please

Hey thats a nice build you got there ,, and I seen a 40 ? ford over in the corner ??? oh and I did the splice in the middle and wished I did the bent back windshield post,, I think I could have done a little better , than what I ended up with ,,, But hey its a rat rod . so it dont have to be perfect for me anyway

'45 Ford PU on Chev LUV chassis - newest pics - today

Here's some more pics of the truck. Hope to be test driving this thing within the next week or so....

Kool build
When you post, you need to just click the Post Reply button on the bottom left then click on the Manage Attachment button to add to your build thread.
What you're doing is adding a New Thread every time you post new pics. This is the second thread on the same build you have going. The first build thread is here http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32853

Hey, thanks for the info....will try the different approach next time I post pictures.

Hey thats a nice build you got there ,, and I seen a 40 ? ford over in the corner ??? oh and I did the splice in the middle and wished I did the bent back windshield post,, I think I could have done a little better , than what I ended up with ,,, But hey its a rat rod . so it dont have to be perfect for me anyway

You are close!....it's a '37 coupe. I've had it for 39 years. It's been built twice and is currently waiting for it's 3rd. I've also got a '37 convertible hiding in the corner behind the coupe as well as that big ole '60 Pontiac Bonneville. The convertible and the Poncho is the wife's...rest is ours!

Kool build

I do have a louver press...wife got it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago....I built the frameworks for it out of 8" I-beam. seems to work well. You can probably see it (blue) in the background of some of the pictures.

Latest posts

Back