'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gremlins

Tromped thru 6" of snow with my cane to the shop so I could get a shovel for the bride and found about a gallon of anti freeze mix on the floor. Seems the water pump decided to puke.

I should have replaced it when I pulled it but it wasn't leaking.

Go easy with the tromping thru the snow POPS.
I like the tutone paint scheme but to me the darker color always looks better on the bottom. JMHO :D
Not surprised at the $6000-$8000 estimate. That's one of the reasons that I do all my own painting.
Plus I still like to shoot single stage enamel. I used to shoot lacquer till it become verboten. You can buy lacquer based primer but not color here in Mi. Makes sense to me. [S [S
My paint supplier is trying to get me to go with base/clear coat on my project.
We will see.
Torchie.

Go easy with the tromping thru the snow POPS.
I like the tutone paint scheme but to me the darker color always looks better on the bottom. JMHO :D
Not surprised at the $6000-$8000 estimate. That's one of the reasons that I do all my own painting.
Plus I still like to shoot single stage enamel. I used to shoot lacquer till it become verboten. You can buy lacquer based primer but not color here in Mi. Makes sense to me. [S [S
My paint supplier is trying to get me to go with base/clear coat on my project.
We will see.
Torchie.

I will reverse the colors on the other side of my metal replica and see what it looks like. I have way to much idle time on my hands.

Better coolant on the floor and not on the HWY.
I had already decided to put heat n air in the rides I'm building for myself from now on.
The paint deal is also in on the deals.

Guess I'm in the wrong wave length or sumpin. I put heat in mine but not AC and I'm in warm weather climate. The paint...ah yes, it'll get painted one of these days, but not a paint job that costs more than the build. I'm a realist. Nothing with a nice paint job ever stays that way around here. Live in the boonies and it's an off-road event just getting to the house. My paint costs about 22 bucks a gallon...and equipment paint is pretty stout stuff. Besides, this one is no trailer queen. Hopefully, the only time it will see the trailer is the time I brought the rust pile home.:)

Better coolant on the floor and not on the HWY.
I had already decided to put heat n air in the rides I'm building for myself from now on.
The paint deal is also in on the deals.

That will give me and my grandson something to do Tuesday. He like working on the engine and he learns well and fast.

Well, I might as well come clean. Windows and a roof are also mandatory. And right now I'm pretty darn anti-rust as well.

I think all three of us are thinking a lot alike. Maybe the moon phase or possibly just older and priority changes. I still like my rusty old dually tho.

Guess I'm in the wrong wave length or sumpin. I put heat in mine but not AC and I'm in warm weather climate. The paint...ah yes, it'll get painted one of these days, but not a paint job that costs more than the build. I'm a realist. Nothing with a nice paint job ever stays that way around here. Live in the boonies and it's an off-road event just getting to the house. My paint costs about 22 bucks a gallon...and equipment paint is pretty stout stuff. Besides, this one is no trailer queen. Hopefully, the only time it will see the trailer is the time I brought the rust pile home.:)

I hear you on the paint. It's nuts what a "good" paint job costs. I'm going for the decent level. I think that's all I can afford.

No trailer queen show truck. I do plan on towing it on a dolly behind my motorhome when I don't need the Jeeps 4 wheel drive. And that sure keeps the shine down.

Got the water pump replaced today. Then I noticed the hole I needed for my
mechanical temp probe was underneath the A/C compressor. I had to drill and tap a hole in the intake on the passenger side. I put air pressure in the water passage as I did it to keep the shavings out.

New radiator showed up this afternoon so I'll putz around with that as I can.

Attachments

• IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3152.jpg
    IMG_3152.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3153.jpg
    IMG_3153.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3157.jpg
    IMG_3157.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 35
Started working on a new bed. Got the steel house to shear and brake the sides. I tried to find some place to roll the top edges to no avail so going the welded top rail route.

A few hours a day in the shop is good therapy.

Attachments

• IMG_3165.jpg
    IMG_3165.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3166.jpg
    IMG_3166.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3168.jpg
    IMG_3168.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3176.jpg
    IMG_3176.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 54
[cl [cl [cl POPS.
Most likely going to do mine the same way.
Whats are the specs on the pipe that you are using and what gauge sheet is that?
[P [P [P
Torchie.

Glad t o see the knee is letting you do a little more. The sides and corners look great.

I have to ask - what are the saw tooth things on the bottom side of your work bench?

Your bed is looking great Pops!

Thanks I like working with nice new, clean metal!!

[cl [cl [cl POPS.
Most likely going to do mine the same way.
Whats are the specs on the pipe that you are using and what gauge sheet is that?
[P [P [P
Torchie.

Torchie, the sides are 14ga. and the pipe is 1 1/4" OD and .105 wall.
Probably overkill but it doesn't draw as much when welding is my thinking.

Glad t o see the knee is letting you do a little more. The sides and corners look great.

I have to ask - what are the saw tooth things on the bottom side of your work bench?

Thanks. Slowly but surely I'll get it.
That's my steel sheet transfer table for my plasma table. I made it from a short section of expandable truck unloading conveyor. Ugly but effective. And it serves as another place to pile crap on.

Attachments

• IMG_3178.jpg
    IMG_3178.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3179.jpg
    IMG_3179.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 29
Good to see ya back to the ole Dodge.
The bed is already taking good shape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Old Iron.
Obviously I spent to much time on my knee Friday, judging by the way it
was swollen up Yesterday. So I'm staying off it till Monday and try easing into it a little bit slower.
Patience is boring.

Latest posts

Back