'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my new radiator from Champion.
I want to try and mount it to the frame instead of in the front sheet metal.
So I can set up my a/c and transmission cooler.

The stock radiator was mounted inside the front sheet metal with no access to the front of it.
This is as far as I've gotten, fin protection.

Attachments

• IMG_3180.jpg
    IMG_3180.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 25
Pops, take care of that knee!!!!! anyway nice work on the bed, looks
great. we used a lot of that conveyor where I used to work, very handy.
and you can never have enough space to pile crap on......

Pops, take care of that knee!!!!! anyway nice work on the bed, looks
great. we used a lot of that conveyor where I used to work, very handy.
and you can never have enough space to pile crap on......

Hey I just caught up on your build. looks like it is coming along nicely. great work, love the expanding roller deck never thought of using that for a work bench lol

Thanks guys.
The conveyor table makes it a lot easier to handle a 4' x 10' sheet of steel by myself.
I can back my flat bed up to the door, slide the sheet onto the table, roll the table in front of the plasma table, and easily roll the sheet onto the plasma table.

The conveyor section was free too!!

Progress

Still working on the new bed. Man I'm slow.

Attachments

• IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3192.jpg
    IMG_3192.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3195.jpg
    IMG_3195.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3200.jpg
    IMG_3200.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3204.jpg
    IMG_3204.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3201.jpg
    IMG_3201.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 44
One thing good about being retired. If the boss says your slow, pop that sonofagun in the kisser, careful tho, it might hurt.:rolleyes:
You're doing a real nice job on the bed, slow or not.

Your not only slow but terrible workmanship as well.;)

When I need to build mine I will use yours as a benchmark.[cl :D [;) [;) :cool:
Torchie.

X2^^^^^^^ What ????????????? slow
You're making more progress than I am and I don't have a bum knee :)

The bed looks really good. Slow? I was thinking you were making a ton of progress, especially with the knee.

Thanks guys. I guess it just seems slow to me cause I can't stand for very long. It's going pretty good tho.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do for the tailgate. I'm too cheap to pay $400 for a tailgate made out of $40 of material. I'll probably make one that doesn't have the Dodge script on it for now. Maybe later down the road when I'm not trying to build a truck I'll spring for a new repop of maybe find a good used one.

One thing good about being retired. If the boss says your slow, pop that sonofagun in the kisser, careful tho, it might hurt.:rolleyes:
You're doing a real nice job on the bed, slow or not.

Great minds think alike.
Since I retired, I don't know how I put up with myself while working for a living. I always just thought it was everyone else that was hard to get along with. Not a problem now.

Thanks for the kudos.

Thanks guys. I guess it just seems slow to me cause I can't stand for very long. It's going pretty good tho.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do for the tailgate. I'm too cheap to pay $400 for a tailgate made out of $40 of material. I'll probably make one that doesn't have the Dodge script on it for now. Maybe later down the road when I'm not trying to build a truck I'll spring for a new repop of maybe find a good used one.

Pops, with that plasma table, can't you cut out whatever you want it to say and cut that into an insert, then add that to a flat tailgate??? The work you're doing everywhere else tells me you could do it. Just come up with a neat design. I think that would personalize your build rather than waiting on a buy for an original.

Something tells me there is a very cool tailgate design building in the collective consciousness of the RR continuum. [;):D

Here is a video on embossing metal sheets - in this case a stop sign. You could skip the first 5 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z74t1OxxZvs

We would use urethane sheet 1/2 - 1" thick instead of the folded up things he uses. The urethane gives a very crisp impression. You can get it from MSC in a few durameters. Higher number is harder. Harder = crisper; requires more pressure. You could plasma cut the design. 1/8" would give a crisp accurate emboss that would look original. Thicker might work as well.

You would probably want to cut a piece a little larger than the logo and weld it in the tailgate.

You guys are always thinking. Thanks for the input.

I went out to the shop but it was too cold and would take too much heat to
get the chill knocked off for just a couple hours work.
So I snapped a couple pics and came back in by the fire. 22 degrees and a 25 mph wind today.

This is a distinct possibility.

Attachments

• IMG_3205.jpg
    IMG_3205.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3217.jpg
    IMG_3217.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 40
You guys are always thinking. Thanks for the input.

I went out to the shop but it was too cold and would take too much heat to
get the chill knocked off for just a couple hours work.
So I snapped a couple pics and came back in by the fire. 22 degrees and a 25 mph wind today.

This is a distinct possibility.

Well there you have it.[cl [cl [cl :D
Torchie.

Back