'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Made in the U.S.A." on the grille seems very unique. In '47 there weren't a lot of other choices. I can't think of another instance where I have seen it that prominently displayed. I would like to see that on modern car - probably no manufacturer can say that though.

Three hours to install the seat belts doesn't sound so bad. I'll be happy if it doesn't take 3 days.

It's nice to work on this old stuff that is all USA made steel. I felt bad when I screwed a temporary plastic cup holder to the transmission tunnel after chasing my coffee cup the other day. A steel console in in the plans soon.

Interesting comment DJ. I recall reading that in 2014 the car that was rated as the most "Built in America of American Parts" was the Toyota Avalon :eek:

I love it POPS. A little known fact is that the Dodge company invented the word "Dependability"in it's advertising campaigns for their trucks.
Torchie

Thanks Torchie. And the ''JOB RATED'' term dates back to the '40s too.

The truck looks great pops and I'm glad you're getting use out of it.

I hope you're still using the 48 as well!

Thanks, it's a blast to drive. I still like the '48 too. I've been using it to chase parts and be obnoxious. Something I find satisfying at times.

I got tired of looking at the divots in the top of the front fenders and decided it was time to so something about them.

I used a 1/4'' rod for the radius and cut some patch pieces to fill in. It worked
better than I expected. A skim coat of body filler and it will be good to go.
I'll get the other side tomorrow if all goes as planned.

I got my "Horseless Carriage" plate today. Good for 5 years.

Attachments

• IMG_3819.jpg
    IMG_3819.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3820.jpg
    IMG_3820.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3821.jpg
    IMG_3821.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3822.jpg
    IMG_3822.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3826.jpg
    IMG_3826.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3828.jpg
    IMG_3828.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3829.jpg
    IMG_3829.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3831.jpg
    IMG_3831.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3832.jpg
    IMG_3832.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3833.jpg
    IMG_3833.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I have to add that I would have never thought of using the rod to make the ridge :p
You're so ingenious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:
My first thought was to cut the divot out, turn it upside down and track it back in :confused:

Yeah, using the rod to create the detail line wasn't in my thought process either. I know they used to peak hoods that way, but I never think to apply it to other problems. Very nice job.

Now I am wondering how square rod would work out. I have a bunch of 1/8 square stock, I may just have to try it out. The spare tire divot in my right rear fender bugs me. Trick would be getting to stay straight with the corner up. [S

Thanks guys.
I got the other fender done today. It turned out good.
The rod thing turned out to be one of my better ideas.
Now it looks a whole lot better.

Attachments

• IMG_3839.jpg
    IMG_3839.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3840.jpg
    IMG_3840.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 43
Now I am wondering how square rod would work out. I have a bunch of 1/8 square stock, I may just have to try it out. The spare tire divot in my right rear fender bugs me. Trick would be getting to stay straight with the corner up. [S

You would have to be careful welding it so you didn't pull it with too much heat. It would work good I think. Go for it.

Wow Pops! As my old boss would say "you're a fart smeller, er, I mean, a smart feller".

But seriously, awesome idea.

Latest posts

Back