'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been busy with the sale of the '48 dually and haven't even looked at this thread for a few days.

Thanks for the comments on the wheels. I didn't mean to ignore yall.

Invited to Prom......

Well the truck is not me. I was invited to haul it to Spearman, Texas so my oldest grandson can take it and his honey to his senior prom May 7th.

I'm such a push over when it comes to my grand kids. My biggest problem with it is, I still remember what I did during my senior prom night. Man that's been 46 years ago. :eek::eek:DAMN:eek::eek:

PAINFUL PONDERING;
If I put a receiver hitch on the rear of my flatbed goose neck with the '48 on it and tow the '47 on a dolly, I will be nearly 400 miles closer to Pa. to deliver the '48.

Is that even legal? It should be, I think. We used to pull the Jeep behind a fifth wheel camper. I may have to look into that further tomorrow.

Truck is dressed up with wheel mod and new skins on the front.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I think it's legal. Just don't go over the allowable length.

As long as it's 65 ft or less should be good.

?? You're delivering the dually to Pennsylvania??

Yep I like road trips and seeing the country. Not to mention the $1200 bucks plus fuel.

Now there's a motivated seller...:D

Living the good life. I flew to your part of the world in 2009 and picked up a Mercedes diesel and had so much fun it took me 2 weeks to get home.

I finally got around to putting a submergible fuel pump in my fuel tank.
I found a pump stand for a '90 mustang that was perfect height. I had to use an earlier pump assy for the lower psi.

Cut a new bigger plate for the top of the tank and ran a return line back to the tank. Patent pending on the return line fitting set up. A cheap pressure regulator and gauge and all is good.

Nice and quiet now. I like it.

Attachments

• IMG_3412.jpg
    IMG_3412.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 18
And then...

I ordered a 408 Stroker kit for the 5.9 magnum. Gonna build a big inch small block just for the fun of it. Should make between 450 and 500 HP depending on which way I go on the heads.

With that said I decided I'd better beef up the rear end situation to get the power to the ground. I started tearing it down and decided it wasn't worth the money to build a 8.5 inch 10 bolt GM rear end that may or may not take the horse power I'm going to build. Soooo I ordered a bunch of parts to put together a 9'' ford rear. Going with a 3.50 ratio with 31 spline axles, posi trac and disc brakes.

No more hot rod for a couple of weeks. I'll get the rear end under it then I will be back to driving it while I build the engine.

Fun and games!!!! I love it.

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 16
Nice, clean install on the fuel pump. After seeing your set-up, I'm trying to figure out why I don't have a fuel pressure gauge on mine.

Have you thought about 4 link and coil overs while you're there?

What is this "FINISHED" word mean? Is that the nirvana of rat building? I never found this place...[S

Didn't you just finish this thing????????
That's a "not" joke.:D :D :D
[P [P [P
Torchie

I have come to the conclusion that I don't know want finished means.
I've told myself several times "That's it. I'm just going to drive it for a while."
Then I have another brilliant idea and a few bucks and back into it.

Nice, clean install on the fuel pump. After seeing your set-up, I'm trying to figure out why I don't have a fuel pressure gauge on mine.

Have you thought about 4 link and coil overs while you're there?

Thanks. I knew the carb was running too rich but just never addressed the problem. I cut the pressure back to 5 1/2 psi and it runs great now.

I am going to go the triangulated 4 link and coil overs. I just need to figure out how to do it. Never done one,

He he he
Pops isn't scared :p
[P[P[P

I've never been scared of new and different things. I have been too broke to do a lot of things most of my life tho!

I highly recommend having a good woman with a good source of income so you can retire and do what you want. [ddd:cool:

Pops,

I have a 4 link with a panhard bar on the '53 and decided to go triangulated on the Ranch Wagon. So I have done both, recently.

The parallel 4 link is much easier to lay out and make brackets for. Often it is also easier to find room for the parallel bars. When you're done you have a little bit of adjustment with the panhard bar.

What I'm running into on the Wagon is that the axle is centered dead nuts on the frame, but the driver's side quarter panel is farther out than the passenger side. The triangulated has no adjustment. It's a small thing, but if I had it to do over, I'd go parallel.

Thanks for the info.. That makes perfect sense to me. I have a 3/8'' off set from side to side some where on this thing too. It used to bother me but I got over it. With the panhard bar I could just adjust it south a touch.

The parallel system would save me time and money I think.

Not sure about the money, but the time savings is huge.

By the way. I bought RideTech for the 3100. The ranch wagon is generic from Amazon and tube size and wall thickness, brackets, joints all seem the same. Amazon was 1/2 the price. RT had junk in the threads, so I had to tap them out (some oddball size tap that I just happened to have). The Amazon parts were clean.

Parts are piling up...

All I need to build the rear end is the 3rd member. It should be here tomorrow. Then the fun begins. I feel like I'm starting over here for some reason.

Decided I go ahead and tub the thing for better tire/wheel clearance. I used a couple of trailer fenders from tractor supply. Cut them down and cut a filler piece on the Plasmacam.
When I get them all finished then I can start on the rear suspension.

Funs and games.

Attachments

• IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0590.jpg