'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progress

Slowly but hey, I'm old and I got no dead line.

Got the axle brackets welded up. I love the new welder.
Made some shock mount plates and added them to the supplied brackets. They didn't have any when I ordered the kit. Sooooo... I copied their design and cut them on the Plasmacam. Got the drive shaft u joints modified. Got it all painted up and put under the truck for the last time. I think. I hope.

I ordered some wider wheels just for fun. Tires should be here next week.
Should be rolling again tomorrow after noon.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Nice! Wiiiide wheels!

I gotta ask because it was a minor issue on mine - I don't see a breather on your diff? My 9" had a 7/16-20 straight thread. I modified a bolt and put on a Spectre filter that is supposed to go on a valve cover. I don't see any provision for one on yours.

Thanks guys.

It's coming along .. I got the brake lines on today and mounted the coil overs. I was hoping to get it buttoned up but as luck would have it I have to do a brake job on my flat bed. Maybe next week.

Nice! Wiiiide wheels!

I gotta ask because it was a minor issue on mine - I don't see a breather on your diff? My 9" had a 7/16-20 straight thread. I modified a bolt and put on a Spectre filter that is supposed to go on a valve cover. I don't see any provision for one on yours.

There is a breather on the top drivers side. Thanks for the thought.

Nice looking rear end and suspension setup [cl
I have only one suggestion.
The panhard bar should be level at ride height.

I agree, but the instructions, and yes I read them, says 2'' high at the frame.
I don't understand their thinking there but this is my first Ladder bar set up.
I figured I would follow the directions and change it later if needed.

Nice work pops! What width are those new wheels?

They are ten inch wheels. I going to put a 12 inch wide tread on them.

Todays progress pics.

Coil overs and mount. Brake lines ran.

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 34
Wow, that's a tiny little breather. I didn't know about them. Thanks for showing me. Like what you're doing with the suspension - you're going to love it.

Panhard bar height affects the roll center height. I suspect you could move it up or down without noticing the difference on that truck, as long as you don't want to go auto crossing.

I didn't see a sway bar. Paul Horton's Welder Series has a great option. Thought it was one of the best products I have ever gotten.

http://welderseries.com/blog/#!/p/49762034/similar-case-recommendation

Last edited:
With ladder bars, the whole rear suspension is the sway bar! That is why they are so hard on parts....the suspension is in a bind if you try to articulate the axle. It only wants to hinge up and down. If only one wheel goes up, it twists the axle housing.

That's a good point. Pop's, I would guess you did lift one tire at a time to see how much articulation the heim joints allow? You only need a couple inches.

I had a Fox body Mustang with aftermarket urethane bushings - they eliminated the articulation. It would lift the inside tire when you punched the gas - scary result. You definitely don't want that result.

I agree, but the instructions, and yes I read them, says 2'' high at the frame.
I don't understand their thinking there but this is my first Ladder bar set up.
I figured I would follow the directions and change it later if needed.
OK, they should know

Back to the truck....

I got more tire under it last week. Should work better.

My new problem....I have a heck of a vibration with this new rear end/suspension set up that I have to figure out this week. I thought I knew how to set up the drive shaft angles but something isn't right. I think part of the problem is the 9'' pinion location is farther off center in the rear end housing than the Chevy rear was. So I have to line up and down angles to deal with as well as the side to side.

The ladder bar supplier says to run 3-4 degrees down from what the drive shaft center line angle is but no mention of side to side. Shouldn't they just be parallel thru the center lines of the rear end and the transmission?

Some one draw me a picture that I can understand. I'm too dense to understand just written instructions.

Attachments

• IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 24
Good to see you back, we missed you.

Cool tires what brand are they?

Parallel is what I know. 3-4 degrees max doesn't matter up and down or side to side - I think. Hopefully someone has a good answer.

Good to see you back, we missed you.

Cool tires what brand are they?

Parallel is what I know. 3-4 degrees max doesn't matter up and down or side to side - I think. Hopefully someone has a good answer.

Thanks. Been crazy around here lately. I installed refrigerated air in the house to battle the heat and humidity, finished the outside walls on the addition I did 14 yrs ago {I don't like to rush into things}, and made a sign for a local chiropractor. Haven't had time to play with my ride.

The tires are Mickey Thompson's.

That's the way I'm thinking on the driveshaft but that's the way I thought I did it. I guess I just need to recheck everything again.

Latest posts

Back