'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slow? I'm impressed that you can clean up the shop in less than a week, much less in "most of the day". I've been working on mine for 2 weeks and I don't think anyone could tell.

Interesting shot of the fan and shroud from inside the engine compartment.

As always, thanks for keeping us in the loop.

I seem to use about every tool in the shop and don't put anything up untill i start tripping over stuff. I need to spend about 2 more days to get it squared away.

that looks similar to the truck on the cover of HOT ROD magazine with the radial airplane engine ........... very cool:D

Thanks and welcome to the RRR site.
That truck was at the winter nationals in Albuquerque last year. Pretty cool..

Progress....

I'm gaining on it. I got the cab back in place after some surgery on the driver side header. By cutting off that goofy loop and dumping that cylinder in behind the collector I got it to clear the steering shaft. Just barely but it does clear. I need to get a little wiggle room with some heat and a hammer and call it good.
Or I could spend some more money and off set the shaft with a set of joints and a support. I'll have to sleep on that tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_1524 (2).jpg
    IMG_1524 (2).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1525 (2).jpg
    IMG_1525 (2).jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1201 (2).jpg
    IMG_1201 (2).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1507 (2).jpg
    IMG_1507 (2).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1511 (2).jpg
    IMG_1511 (2).jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1517 (2).jpg
    IMG_1517 (2).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 35
Good to see you made some headway.
I had the same issue on a 74 Javelin I done some work on here awhile back. I cut the firewall to the side of the steering column by 3/4" and moved just the lower part of the column over for clearance then filled the void on the other side with the piece I cut out.

I had the same issue on a 74 Javelin I done some work on here awhile back. I cut the firewall to the side of the steering column by 3/4" and moved just the lower part of the column over for clearance then filled the void on the other side with the piece I cut out.
Sneaky. [cl

Great idea Old Iron and thanks for your input but I have already done that when I built this thing originally.. I got all I could get. The steering wheel is at a angle to get what I've got at this point.
These little obstacles have a way taking up a lot of my time.

That's a real tight fit, looking good Pops

Thanks Dozer. I'm just glad I changed my mind about trying to squeeze a big block in there.

2 hour delay for snow this morning....

I declared a 2 hour delay for the blizzard. We got a whole inch of snow and I don't want to risk the hazards of the 65 ft commute to the shop. I may even
give my whole crew (me, myself and I) the day off. Can't be too careful!!!!!!!!!

Looking good Pops. I was just wondering how the crew would make it if the boss took a day off. I got a feeling things would head south fast around the homestead in my neck of the woods[My crew, Stupid, Dummy, and Goofy{all me of course}, would have something torn up somewhere else on the farm if we couldn't get to the shop]
Keep up the great work friend and , by the way, Happy New Year to you and the bride. [cl [cl [cl [cl

I thought those headers were weird looking since you first posted the pics of them. Now they're even weirder - at least the passenger side is. In the pics it looks like one of the middle pipes is really kinked. I'd be tempted to make a new one for that side.

We don't have anything like a blizzard, but it's been cloudy - that's enough to get my crew a week off.

Looking good Pops. I was just wondering how the crew would make it if the boss took a day off. I got a feeling things would head south fast around the homestead in my neck of the woods[My crew, Stupid, Dummy, and Goofy{all me of course}, would have something torn up somewhere else on the farm if we couldn't get to the shop]
Keep up the great work friend and , by the way, Happy New Year to you and the bride. [cl [cl [cl [cl

Thanks. When I got this old truck from you I thought I'd spend a couple of thousand on it to get it on the road and just drive the heck out of it. Little did I know what I was getting into, both in time and money spent. Thanks a lot Bud. LOL:eek::eek:

What better way to spend 2 1/2 years of your life and all the spare (?) money you can scratch up?

Hope you and your family have a great year. Good to hear from you.

I thought those headers were weird looking since you first posted the pics of them. Now they're even weirder - at least the passenger side is. In the pics it looks like one of the middle pipes is really kinked. I'd be tempted to make a new one for that side.

We don't have anything like a blizzard, but it's been cloudy - that's enough to get my crew a week off.

Yeah the header on the drivers side is bad. Not alot of choices for a
5.9 Magnum in the way of headers. I wish I had just built a set.

After a day off spent wife my bride (she had school canceled) and a little more thought I think I got it....DUH!

I've got two things wanting to be in the same space at the same time. But I was focused on moving the shaft when it is the header pipe that needs to move. My simple little brain just realized I can solve my problem by pulling the header off again, a little more slicing, moving and a little more welding, I won't have to mess with the steering shaft. While I have it off I may decide to just completely rebuild that side.

I think my brain might be getting old along with every thing else I've got to work with.

So now I know what I'll do next week.

After a day off spent wife my bride (she had school canceled) and a little more thought I think I got it....DUH!

I've got two things wanting to be in the same space at the same time. But I was focused on moving the shaft when it is the header pipe that needs to move. My simple little brain just realized I can solve my problem by pulling the header off again, a little more slicing, moving and a little more welding, I won't have to mess with the steering shaft. While I have it off I may decide to just completely rebuild that side.

I think my brain might be getting old along with every thing else I've got to work with.

So now I know what I'll do next week.

I looks to me that you might be able to use the flange; get a few J bends and make that sucker go where you want it to. Your new one would be more efficient as well.

Anyhow, carry on. We'll keep watching.

[S this thing ain't done yet?
Just kidding pops. I can only wish to have a ride like this one day.
Mopar or no car,or in this case truck.

[S this thing ain't done yet?
Just kidding pops. I can only wish to have a ride like this one day.
Mopar or no car,or in this case truck.

It's been "done" several times. Then I get a wild hair and do something else
to it. I don't think I'll ever get it finished.

Good to have a plan, even if it's plan B....[cl[/QUOTE

Nice to see you made it back young man. My plans don't always work but
but I'm too hard headed to give in.

I moved the front header pipe enough for clearance. Not a show piece by any means but it will work. I going to build a set of headers some time in future cause these cheap Chinese things are junk at best. I just itching to drive this thing right now.

Attachments

• IMG_1529.jpg
    IMG_1529.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1533 (2).jpg
    IMG_1533 (2).jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 33
Still got that gitty grin on my face.....

Got all tuned and dialed in today. I put 58 miles on it this afternoon with no problems and I couldn't be happier with the way it runs. LOT'S OF TORQUE AND PULLS FOREVER!!!

Latest posts

Back