48 fire truck roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a plan! Joe?

It seems this elusive "Joe" has squirreled the big roadster away from prying RRR eyes! Maybe he is chroming everything......[P

I know how you feel about burning out on stuff. Just look around my place and you will see projects litterally left with the tools I was working on them with sitting for years. I really have to make mental effort to stay on track to get just one done. Hard to do with A.D..D.... oh look shiney.... (wander away)

It seems this elusive "Joe" has squirreled the big roadster away from prying RRR eyes! Maybe he is chroming everything......[P

I know how you feel about burning out on stuff. Just look around my place and you will see projects litterally left with the tools I was working on them with sitting for years. I really have to make mental effort to stay on track to get just one done. Hard to do with A.D..D.... oh look shiney.... (wander away)

He's probably over at the transmission shop going "How come it's not done, I brought it in last night at 6:00, you've had 14 hours". Seriously, I'm betting he'll have the trans bolted in and the driveshaft installed by Monday. Oh yeah and the new 3" tail pipes bent so he can bring them down Friday to get ceramic coated.

Joe is the guy to get this project finished. I'm guessing by 4th of July. Given his work on the Gothic Bike it will be a gem when done.

Keep us posted Joe.

Lucky New Owner !!!!!!!!!!!

Hi every one and thanks for your interest and confidence in me on the 48.
I feel so lucky and blessed to have this truck in my shop and I don,t think I can ever thank Dan enough for selling it to me the way he did.
I want to thank Truckster for a great start and a great vision as i think with a convertible top this truck will be a sight.
I also feel it is a great honer to follow Dan as he is an unbelievable craftsman and his attention to detail is next to none.
Dan thanks again.
Dan has laid the law down to me that I have to post progress on the RRR and I will do my best. Thank heavens a picture is worth a thousand words as this really helps out when your a border line alliterate. My spelling is so bad sometimes my spell check asks my what language I am using.
Truckster, That ride will be waiting and I hope to keep a fairly fast schedule and depending on my other jobs I hope to finnish sometime this summer .

Transmission

I took the 700r4 down to a friend of mine that owns a trans shop and got it getting rebuilt to handle the 454. I am going to run a 22 hundred stall and a manual switch for the converter lockup. I ordered a B&M street rod shifter and I plan to adapt an old truck handle with the regular old black common ball of the 48 era. I am going to use an old eaton 2 speed button switch to switch on and off the converter lockup. It will be mounted on the shifter just like they always were. I am going to install a manual line lock in the console right behind the shifter so I can have some fun ,but at the price of those 19.5 Michelins i better not have to much fun.

Thanks for posting up Joe. I am happy that it went to you, and eagerly look forward to your progress and pictures. And yes, Dan and I will make the trip for a ride.

Steering wheel.

While I am waiting on drive train things I thought I would build a steering wheel and Have an old cowboy buddy of mine cover it in rawhide like he did the brake and clutch lines in the bike. You can see his work on the last page of the gothic bike build and his work is unreal. I got started this mourning and will post picts. I used 1" Dom for the ring and rolled it to 15"od. I drew what I wanted to build on a table and went from there. The center spoke section is going to be cut out of 3/8 cold rolled and hand shaped edges. I plan to lightly rust it and wax. The center overlay my be forge scared and gun blued so the center of the wheel won,t be so plain and boring. at this time it is a thought in progress. I am going to use a old time turn indicator switch and horn button that mount on the column. the indicators won,t turn off automatic and I guess I can run around with one on annoying people just like the good old days.

steering wheel Picts

Here are picts of wheel work. I cut a pattern out of a piece of 1/4 that was laying on the table just to see how it was going to look. Getting that 1"dom rolled to 15"od is a tough because you have to let the ends pass each other in the roller. I will get back on it in the mourning

Attachments

• DSCF1334.jpg
    DSCF1334.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF1330.jpg
    DSCF1330.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF1336.jpg
    DSCF1336.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF1338.jpg
    DSCF1338.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF1341.jpg
    DSCF1341.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF1343.jpg
    DSCF1343.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF1344.jpg
    DSCF1344.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF1346.jpg
    DSCF1346.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 70
Looks like the 1" is there. That steering wheel is looks just right, can't wait to see it braided. It's really fun to see some real energy going into this.

Just all those paying jobs that you've got a big job you have to finish before you can take on any more work.

Steering wheel

Sgtpontiac, I don,t know why it is mine but I am just glad it is.
I worked on the wheel rim and got it all done and I should get the whole steering wheel done tomorrow. I took picts but forgot the camera at the shop so I will post picts when i get it finished.

Nice work man.....

Sgtpontiac, I don,t know why it is mine but I am just glad it is.
I worked on the wheel rim and got it all done and I should get the whole steering wheel done tomorrow. I took picts but forgot the camera at the shop so I will post picts when i get it finished.

so many guys with so much talent...yeah, was just being a smarta$$ with jfg455.....brothers in blue thing....lol

steering wheel

Just got done with the steering wheel and it is ready to send to get the rawhide braided over the rim. It was a lot of work and I hope it was worth it. It sort of has a little bit of a early european roadster flair to it. I hope the rawhide manlys it up a little for the truck. I cut a spare wheel so I will have one for mockup while this one is gone. I got some picts and one is of the raw hide braid in me motorcycle lines.

Attachments

• DSCF1347.jpg
    DSCF1347.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF1351.jpg
    DSCF1351.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF1219.jpg
    DSCF1219.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF1350.jpg
    DSCF1350.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF1361.jpg
    DSCF1361.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF1357.jpg
    DSCF1357.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF1366.jpg
    DSCF1366.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF1368.jpg
    DSCF1368.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF1369.jpg
    DSCF1369.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 53
steering wheel

A few more picts.

Attachments

• DSCF1371.jpg
    DSCF1371.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF1374.jpg
    DSCF1374.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF1377.jpg
    DSCF1377.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF1360.jpg
    DSCF1360.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF1379.jpg
    DSCF1379.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 73
Sweet. That braided leather is amazing.

Joe, you could use some of that guitar rosewood or ebony or whatever you have left and cover that mock-up wheel like a 60's Mustang. but way better. Or you could put frets around it and make you a round guitar neck. Get some more hubs and have your choice of interchangeable steering wheels.

Latest posts

Back