48 fire truck roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exhaust

I have progress!

I've been working on the exhaust. Got the pipes cut and joined, the mufflers mounted and one tail pipe running out the back.

The muffler brackets are slotted so when the pipes expand the hanger can move. There's also a a rubber isolator bushing.

Attachments

• 3 bracket.jpg
    3 bracket.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 4 front pass.jpg
    4 front pass.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 5 rear.jpg
    5 rear.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 6 front.jpg
    6 front.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 2 both.jpg
    2 both.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 92
I fell behind on this build. Good stuff all the way through. That exhaust is top notch! The wheel will probably smooth out with use.

man.. that looks good. I would love to fit a full exhaust on mine.. but I really dont think I have the space...

I made a removeable transimssion mount and added the urethane mount.

Also new are the 1 1/2" diameter tubes. Their mission is to provide mounting support for the transimission cooler, fuel pump, fuel lines, brake lines and hydraulic lines for the hydroboost.

There will be gussets to tie the tubes into the trans mount brackets, and cross bars when I figure out where to put them and still be able to get the driveshaft in.

The driver side tube is close enough to make the master brake fittings a challenge.

Attachments

• 1 Trans cooler and mount.jpg
    1 Trans cooler and mount.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 2 detail.jpg
    2 detail.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 41
  • 3 brake.jpg
    3 brake.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 39
Last Friday I tied up a loose end - the front frame rail end.

Then I went to work on the headlights. I moved them all over the place. The steering arm is in the way. The monster tires block the light if they're too far back. Finally I decided on this.

The steering arm clears by 1/2".

Attachments

• 3 light bar rear.jpg
    3 light bar rear.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 76
  • 5 steering clearance.jpg
    5 steering clearance.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 4 quarter view.jpg
    4 quarter view.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 2 light bar fr.jpg
    2 light bar fr.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 1 frame end.jpg
    1 frame end.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 77
Light mount looks killer. Hate to be a nay sayer but I think your tie rod will hit under a good bump. You usually need 3"-4" clearance over the top of suspension stuff for full compression. Maybe if you slid the lower mount back and to the side of the front frame rail? just my $.02.

Actually, the bracket is behind the tie rod. Doesn't look like it in the pic, but it can more 4 to 5" before it hits the radiator shell.

Light mount looks killer. Hate to be a nay sayer but I think your tie rod will hit under a good bump. You usually need 3"-4" clearance over the top of suspension stuff for full compression. Maybe if you slid the lower mount back and to the side of the front frame rail? just my $.02.

Woke up last night worrying that jfg455 might be right; ran out to the shop this morning to check it out. Well...

The frame ends were designed on the passenger side because the steering arm was in the way on the other side. The tie rod is in front of the light bar mount.

The driver's side, however, is 1/2" farther forward (the frame rail was a little longer) and the tie rod is larger diameter on that side. So, the tie rod will, in fact, contact the light bar mount. Also the driver's head light is further forward.

Good thing I only tacked those in place it will be an easy fix.

I don't think I would have caught that until it was too late.Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 7 pass.jpg
    7 pass.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 6 driver.jpg
    6 driver.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 56
Good save! and good heads up by jfg455 there!.

I have been monitoring your work since you got back at it again, just haven't had time to post up.

I continue to be amazed at the level and detail of workmanship. I originally envisioned this as a "Rat Rod". You have taken it a whole other level. Not much Rat left in this Rod; and I mean that as a sincere compliment.

My mother used to say.....

"two heads are better than one" and my grandpa used to say "another set of eyes never hurts anything"... good call jfg.....don't you hate waking up and thinking "what if"????? No worries now...

"two heads are better than one" and my grandpa used to say "another set of eyes never hurts anything"... good call jfg.....don't you hate waking up and thinking "what if"????? No worries now...

Yeah, I do hate waking up with the what if... But the problem is that the whole build works that way. "You don't know what you don't know" always worries me.

Maybe it's not a rat anymore, but I have no idea what it ins Not a rat, not a race car, not a truck. If people ask me what I'm building I just say a hot rod and skip the rest of the details. Don't want to hear the "It doesn't sound like a hot rod to me" line.

No worries! I just hope you all do the same on my stuff. The way you had the pics earlier it looked like the tie rod was all the way back in the "C" opening of the mount. Looking down from the top I see it is farther forward. Still good call to shorten it up a little and it will be golden. Carry on![P

Carrying on....

Bought the Blue Holley fuel pump to feed the duel quads. I remembered someone's idea of mounting the pump on a transmission mount to quiet it down. Found this mount in my parts stash, with one bolt and a square boss. I milled a pocket in a 1/4 plate so the square boss will keep it from rotating, drilled and tapped holes and rounded the corners. Mounted it on the frame.

Headlights: Following Earthman's instructions I enlarged the hole in the reflector and use high temp RTV to hold the bulb in. Found some foam weatherstrip to replace the original dried out cork.

Grille shell: There is a gap between the top of the radiator and the grill shell that has been bothering me and the lip around the shell has been giving me fits. This cover is far from done, but I think it will help keep the air flowing through the radiator instead of over it and clean up the ugly lip.

Attachments

• 1 fuel pump assy.jpg
    1 fuel pump assy.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 2 fuel pump installed.jpg
    2 fuel pump installed.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 4 headlight bulb.jpg
    4 headlight bulb.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 3 headlight seal.jpg
    3 headlight seal.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 5 radiator gap.jpg
    5 radiator gap.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 6 radiator cover.jpg
    6 radiator cover.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 60
Excellent fab work as always..that vibration damper for the fuel pump is a great idea..I'm stealing that for future use:D

Tim

Thanks guys.

I forgot what that mount was for or why I got it, but I was annoyed when I had to put a metric nut on the stud. I liked it because looks like it has more "dampening ability" than the standard 2 or 3 bolt mount.

Latest posts

Back