48 Plymouth Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hkestes

I have had this car for just over a year now and so far I have rebuilt the front suspension, complete rewire with the help of a local HAMBer, installed a rebuilt 53 flathead 6 and R10 overdrive I bought, new 2 inch dual exhaust, and lizzard skinned the entire interior.

I bought the rebuilt engine because it was attached to the R10 overdrive I wanted and the guy wouldn't seperate them. The engine that was in the car when I bought it was running fine but I figured it had major miles on it so why not install the rebuilt engine.Two days after installing the rebuilt engine it started smoking like I was fogging for mosquitos. Pulled the head to find about a 1 inch long x 1/16 wide piece of the edge of the #2 piston missing.

Pulled the head and pan off the engine that was in the car when I bought it and to my surprise it had been rebuilt not long before I bought it from the looks of the internals. It had been bored 60 over during the rebuild and had a valve job done. So, threw the 53 head (higher compression), intake, headers and HEI on the old engine and did one more swap. Now its running and sounding great, the improved breathing of the dual intake and headers really woke the old flatty up.

Next up is disc brakes, rack/pinion from a Cavalier, and an 89 Dakota rearend. Then I can get started on the interior and body work.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AxfKQ4KMM9s

289346451_Dd9QP-S.jpg

270928215_zXsGA-S.jpg

Here are a couple more from the day the car was delivered.

166780277_Lo3g4-S.jpg

166780721_n7TFL-S.jpg

166781167_bkaJp-S.jpg

166780970_qYizP-S.jpg

Since then, I have changed out the vacumn wipers with an electric motor and fixed them so they park at the bottom not up and down. I also have painted the dash and window rurrounds gray. Don't know why in the hell they were ever painted orange in the first place.

Here is a pictures of the color I am planning for the body. It is a Chrysler Electric Blue with Flex n Flat clear for flexible bumpers. I don't plan any major body mods just lose some of the chrome and lower it a few inches.

375380976_pcBxE-S.jpg

Again, the car sure looks nice. The body plans sound nice too. I've seen that blue truck (Clark's) in person. The color will look great on the Chrysler IMO. Here's another pic I took of the truck in different lighting.

Yeah, Clark is the one who told me what color it was and what clear to use to achieve the semi gloss. He also did a T coupe with the same technique and I love the way it "glows". Not too flat or too shiney, just a little different.

375380872_t5A24-S.jpg

Latest posts

Back