50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to toss around some ideas tonight on it... In my head it is bothersome, but it may not be that much of a real issue... I tend to over-think things at times...

Mustangs (99 era ones) had 1 1/2" of offset. I found out when I dumped an LS1 into one. I would just ditch the factory mounts and make up a simple set with a eurothane bushing. Simple plate and 2 tabs to a tube on a Tee. Then you can put it where ever you want it.

So far unless I see something major, I think the extra 1" will be helpfull for more room for everything on the driver's side... I'm close to having the engine crossmember ready to tack weld in now.. unless someone or something smacks me in the face I'm good with it being over slightly.

I think that is a good choice....

So far unless I see something major, I think the extra 1" will be helpfull for more room for everything on the driver's side... I'm close to having the engine crossmember ready to tack weld in now.. unless someone or something smacks me in the face I'm good with it being over slightly.

sometimes we have a tendency to over engineer things and Lord knows nothing is perfect....lol

Just leave it. No one will ever notice.

If it makes you feel better.......
My Dodge the whole cab is offset from the frame....by about an inch and a half to the driver side. Found that out about 2 months after I bought it. Some things weren't adding up so I started doing some measuring and found out that is why. My buddy that built the frame didn't know either. He said to build the frame He tacked the tube to the bottom of the old frame then welded it together so for the most part it would follow the lines of the old frame. Then he channeled the Cab where the old frame was and sat the cab down on the new frame. So apparently it came from the factory that way. Built on a Monday I guess.

I have never showed it to anybody, and they have never said anything to me about it so I just let it go.

Interesting for sure....

Well not a whole lot of progress today even though I had the day off.
Yesterday I found an ad on craigslist for a 3 Ton Allied floor jack, so I called on it, ended up that I had to take everything he had for $100 which included the Allied jack, a Hein-Warner 1.5 ton bottle jack, a cheapo 1.5ton bottle jack, a grease gun, 1 large Columbian USA made vise, two smaller machinest vises made in USA, a tow chain, a grease gun, jumper cables, and a 6V battery tender....

So, not needing the vises, I took them to the local tool reseller and got $80 which is a little low, but I ended up spending another $80, got two forged wilton 8" C-clamps, and a 1/2HP 8" Delta bench grinder, and got it mounted on one of the benches, the old one I could stop with a finishing nail I swear!

I did do a little work on the truck, looked at the mounts a bit and got them lined up, and scribed on the frame where they go, so now I need to pull the motor out and tack weld in the engine x-member.

Now, I'm heading to a performance shop's moving sale to see about a couple other pieces of equipment I need...

Headache

Looking good.
Does it ever just give you a headache?
That's where I'mat today so I called time out and here I sit.
Don't weaken.

POPS

Oh yea, I only work on it when I'm in the zone, which is pretty often, but there are days I know better than to go out and wrench!

Wish I could learn to work like that. I just pick up tools when she is not at work and start doing something. Sometimes not even sure what I am trying to do other than get something accomplished...

Slow but steady...

Moving forward, got the engine crossmember tack welded in, and the motor mount studs tacked in so they don't fall out (inside the crossmember) when I remove the mounts.

So now the motor is in the hole, and it appears that the stock motor mounts were setup to tip the motor back, which may prove helpful when setting the driveshaft angle, and also to help with the size of the tunnel toward the middle of the cab...

The motor is now only 3/4" to the passenger side as well, and I have almost 3" in front of the crankshaft pulley to the front of the frame.

Anyhow on to pics... I'm feeling like this was a big step...

Attachments

• DSC04818.jpg
    DSC04818.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC04819.jpg
    DSC04819.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC04820.jpg
    DSC04820.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC04821.jpg
    DSC04821.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC04822.jpg
    DSC04822.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC04823.jpg
    DSC04823.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 85
Yea I am not sure where he is coming from when saying moving along slowly.....

Maybe my brain is just stuck on fast forward I dunno...

Thanks for the inspiring words... tonight I am channeling the rear body over teh frame, wish me luck getting it put position. Going to make some temporary mounts so I can lift the body off and get it RIGHT back where it was for all the fitting, etc, and so I can place the rear axle properly in the wheel well

Awesome!!!! Wish I could pull the body off mine, cab is welded solid......

No body mounts? [S[S[S

I'm thinking if I keep the floor tight to the trans tunnel I'll either be raising the front of the cab, or really lifting the front end up to get the engine and trans to go in together when I put it all together the last time around...

Nope. That was something done before I bought it also. I thought about cutting off and putting mounts on, but that sounded like way to much work.

I'd build the mounts, weld them in, bolt the body to it, then cut the old mounts off.

Anyhow, tonight I started channeling the rear body and I'm close to getting the body down where it needs to go, and also started marking out centers and leveling it, it can be very trying to get everything square, level, and centered all at once... [S[S[S

Latest posts

Back