50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd build the mounts, weld them in, bolt the body to it, then cut the old mounts off.

I think you misunderstand. It is channeled, and where it is channeled it is also welded. The floor would have to be cut out of the cab to pull the cab off. When my buddy built this thing, it seems that he didn't use much common sense. That could also be the reason that he gave up before it was half done...

Anyways, take your time and you can do it. and remember it will all pay off in the end.

Looking good

Great progress! The cab work is what makes the build look right IMHO and it takes so much work.

I can't work on mine sitting at this hospital (38 yr old son had to have hip replaced) so I'm watching you work.

Keep after it.

POPS [P

The goal is to hit some shows next year yes!

The rolling chassis is the next big step, but gotta get the body in place first before I can get the rear axle located where it needs to be....

Pops, sorry about your son's hip!

No pics, but got more of the rear body channeled over the frame, and got the front portion of the rear body welded in on the passenger side, at least tacked in... one more good night on it and I'll have a couple mounts done and tacked in.... Felt like I was spinning my wheels tonight, but it will go quick once I can pull the body off and on quickly and repeat the mounting position...

Thanks Corsair!

Well tonight I made some mounts for the poncho rear... only made two, and got them tacked to the frame, still sorting out what mount to use (rubber mount) as well as trying to sort out how to make sure I have the ponch rear true to the frame in all directions, level, etc... sorta frustrating to do by myself, and I spend a couple hours trying to sort out if its the crappy build quality of the late 40s and 50s having the sheet metal different from side to side or what...

So after much contemplation, I'm going to just work everything off the frame like I did when setting the cab on the frame... thats all I can do as there are too many unknowns, and too many differences left to right on the poncho sheet metal...

Tomorrow is another day...

It is a tough road to walk as a perfectionist in an imperfect world DR... Sounds like you are still moving ahead. [P

Hey Dr. See if you can come up with a mount system that allows you to adjust thing before you weld or bolt things up tight. Square it all up, clamps and then weld. Or a jig to hold the body while you measure and true things up.

I get the challenge of doing this alone though. I always say that if evolution was true I would have four arms like I need.

You are likely one of us who feels that unless they see progress, it isn't happening. Just remember how much of this kind of creative work is accomplished in our noggins then translated to the steel. Your progress is going great.

It's one of the few builds I check daily.

Gold03

Yea, I probably should have braced up the body more when it was sectioned... Flex is an issue...

Anyhow, I did manage to get the body mounts for the front portion welded in, and welded in some 1" square tubing from one side to the other to stiffen up the body some... I have planned out the rear, just need to fab up the mounts and weld them to the frame... I didnt have any 4" square tubing or 4" "C" channel, so I'm going to look for some scraps, if not I'll just fab up each mount I guess...

I just ended up taking a lot of measurements, a lot of level checks, and going back to 2x4 clamped to the frame to support the body rather than hanging it... worked off the frame mostly, and the rear of the cab some as well... It's just tough when you only have one set of hands available and no mounts to work from or to...

I'm not far off now, just needed a break and I was out of 4.5" cut-off wheels so went and got that and a hole saw to make the holes for the stock Ford mounts, going to use two of them on the rear of the poncho for mounts, and 4 more for the cab...

I'll try to snap some pics and get them up sometime here...

Well, I think some progress has been made, still need to brace up the body/floor some to finish up the middle body mounts for the poncho rear... gonna get some 1" sq tubing to go across from mount to mount, much like I did on the front mounts... (probably add one more set of mounts at the forward most area, and one set at the rear most part of the poncho rear)

Still need to weld in the gussets and round off the areas outside where the rear mounts sit.

Also, the front set of mounts, right in front of that area is where the fuel tank mounts will be welded into the frame, that is why it is open underneath the body mount.

I'm feeling good about everything, looks like the next steps will be centering the axle L-R & F-B in the wheel wells... Hopefully this week...

[;)[;)[;)

Attachments

• DSC04824.jpg
    DSC04824.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC04825.jpg
    DSC04825.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC04826.jpg
    DSC04826.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC04827.jpg
    DSC04827.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC04828.jpg
    DSC04828.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC04829.jpg
    DSC04829.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 82
Little more progress

Welded in some plates, and 1" tubing I had from cutting up storage racks from the stunt van, the shelves are going to go on the garage walls eventually... The 1" tubing is abotu an inch behind the rear of the frame.

Anyhow, rear mounts are just about done, need some bolts the correct length, and some more sheet metal work but good enough to start centering up the axle this week...

Finally feeling like something is happening...

[;)[;)[;)

Attachments

• DSC04831_1.jpg
    DSC04831_1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC04832_1.jpg
    DSC04832_1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC04833_1.jpg
    DSC04833_1.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts