50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I guess I can't wear my one legged out fit with Raybans if you are too . Going to try to make it down there . If I do I will be wearing a black Cornfield customs shirt .
icebox

Neat.....

Beautiful work, Dirtyrat. Hang in there. Me and Buford are going slower than I'd like but I have summer allergies so I know how it is. I'm shootin' for the Redneck Rumble in September.:D

You're lookin' good. Keep on keepin' on.[;)

Lynn

I didn't make it to the show but from what I heard they changed the format somewhat.
You had good weather though.
Torchie.

Yea, our local friend mentioned that a couple years ago the original sponsor moved their show to another city, so its been under new management for the past couple years.

Anyhow, finally feeling up to working out in the garage again.
I put the tank back on the mounts, and it fits like a glove now :)
I put the other multivalve on the tank, and got my hard lines ran tonight for the tank. I measured up all the flex lines so I can get those ordered tomorrow hopefully. I used old extension cord to make the measurements, works really well.

Tomorrow I hope to sort out where the sending unit will mount in the tank, get that mounted, and maybe finish wrapping up the tank so that I don't have to open it again.

Couple pics for the pic hungry:

Attachments

• DSC05092.jpg
    DSC05092.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC05093.jpg
    DSC05093.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 24
One other thing of note

One other thing of note, I found an engine I am planning on picking up for a future mustang or other ford build, I think some of you should be able to ID this one...

Attachments

• P6080104_Small.jpg
    P6080104_Small.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 56
  • P6080106_Small.jpg
    P6080106_Small.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 49
Dirty rat, you dirty rat, a surprise quiz. I was agreeing with the good Doctor up until you shut him down. It is an FE motor and it looks so much like the motor I have in my old rat rod one ton. The power steering bracket and lines look the same and the brake booster too. Now, because I'm a Ford fan I get two guesses. It's either a 352 or a stroked 390, with 410 cubic inches. My 410 came with cooler tappet covers, though.

Attachments

• 78Ford one ton.jpg
    78Ford one ton.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 34
  • chrome FE valve covers.jpg
    chrome FE valve covers.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 36
OK, I'll try all the ones I know....
FE's - 332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 427, 428
Big trucks - 361, 391
MEL's - 383, 410, 430
I know there are more but I can't recall them without digging in the archives...:confused:

460? Well spill it. It is a FE block, and if it is not original to that truck only god would know without dropping the pan and checking the crank numbers.

Well I'm out... but I like the Model T timing setup. :D

Yea, when heavy towing, the timing can be backed off, and when the truck was unloaded he could run more timing, all from the dash.

Its actually a 428, and what I believe is a super cobra jet, according to the crank number I was given it seems correct. Once I can get the motor and start looking at casting numbers, I'll put more info up... plan is finding a late 60s mustang to put it in... I have a couple leads on some, even though I'm not in the market immediately, I may make it happen as its been a dream of mine for years...

Nice.
Back in the day a friend of my brothers had a Cobra Jet stuck into a ratty 4dr Torino.
Used to run it at Motor City Dragway all the time.
I remember the first time the guy rolled up to our house so we could all caravan to the strip. I said to my bro "He's gonna run that piece of ****". Bro says, "ask him to pop the hood". There it was . All brand new and very Ford blue.
Talk about a sleeper.......
Torchie.

Some progress tonight, mocked up a new bracket for the sending unit in the new tank, had to sort out how high the liquid sensor needed to be for 80% fill, so sorted that out, and mocked up a bracket from some aluminum angle iron, but I have to make it out of stainless steel to be in the tank... going to try to find some material tomorrow at work.

Also cut out all the inner wheel wells up by where the tank sits so I can finish up some of the sheet metal work. I also finish welded all the tank mounts, and did a little finish welding on the trans crossmember on the top, still need to do the bottom.

Keep the push on buddy!!! We swore last year that we were going to roll together this summer!!! I am hoping that I can get mine on the street next month so we shall see.

little progress every day

Picked up the lock nuts and washers to hold the sending unit bracket in the tank. Also drilled the holes and attached the original bracket to the extension I made...

I started thinking about the length of the sending unit arm and realized that it will read Full properly, but empty will come way sooner than it should as it was in a 13" tank before, and its now in a 20" tank... [S[S

I tried straightening the arm as much as I could but it didn't gain enough length to do what I need to do. So I'm going to look for some music wire tomorrow that is about .090 so I can bend up a new one to give the proper swing for empty...

I also fabbed up the filler panel for the opening where the seat used to be on the poncho, I tried to emboss it but its too thick for my crappy bead roller... some day I'll have cool tools ;);) I started thinking of the wheel well area since I cut out the old tin foil metal, as it was in the way of the tank anyhow...

On to pics...

Attachments

• DSC05094.jpg
    DSC05094.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC05095.jpg
    DSC05095.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC05096.jpg
    DSC05096.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 42
Not a lot to report, I did get some tempered wire to make the sending unit arm from on friday, just have to sort out how long the arm has to be for the 20" tank...

I probably won't be posting much after today for a few days, we are heading up to Higgins lake for some time away, just me and the little one...

Latest posts

Back