50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like summer time is a hard time to get much work done on the build.(I know that it is for me anyway).
I really have to focus on getting into the shop and working as there is always something going on this time of year.
Torchie.

little progress, welding & priming

Trying to finish up the front of the frame as far as major mounts, finish welding, etc... I believe I have it all done now, except for radiator, grille shell, and front sway bar and shock mounts all which have to be made yet.

Anyhow, tomorrow hopefully some paint will make its way on to the frame, and then put things back together for some final fab work, and brake lines later on....

Attachments

• DSC05146.jpg
    DSC05146.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC05147.jpg
    DSC05147.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 48
I finished up painting the front of the frame, there is no doubt I'll be grinding off some for brackets and such, but I wanted it cleaned and painted to re-install the engine/trans hopefully for the last time.

Also loosely put the front end back together, and started on one of the rear wheel wells.
Once I get the motor and trans back in I'll be working on the grille shell
& mounts, and rear wheel wells, and wiring when I get tired of sheet metal work.

Some pics for the pic hungry

Tonight, not a lot of energy, but started looking at reversing the stock manifolds so I can loop down and under the the frame kickup to put the catalytic converters under the edge of the frame. So started cutting up the stock exhaust which is 2.5" I believe, plenty large enough. :D I think eventually I will fab headers, but for now, it is one less thing I want to worry about if I can make these work temporarily.

Also installed the intake manifold, and all the coil packs to start prepping for some wiring and other stuff...:)

Couple pics of the wheel well progress, don't mind the ugly tack welds, couldnt get my head where I could see what I was doing... :eek:

Attachments

• DSC05148.jpg
    DSC05148.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC05149.jpg
    DSC05149.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC05150.jpg
    DSC05150.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC05151.jpg
    DSC05151.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC05152.jpg
    DSC05152.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 62
that is one wide motor.
why the cat's on the exhaust:confused: state law or have to be there to make it run correctly with the computers.
Later :cool:

Well, for now, until I get a re-tune down the road, the ecm will be looking for pre and post catalytic converter function, as there are 2 O2 sensors per bank of cylinders. Realistically, I would like to rid myself of them, but for now, they will stay. Perhaps I will fab the headers after I get someone to tune out the post Cat stuff.

FINAL ASSEMBLY??
Looking good! Have you fired the beast yet?
Keep pluggin.

Partial final assembly on the front end and hoping that I do not have to pull the motor and trans out again.

My flexible fuel lines are done so I will be picking them up today, once I do that I can start wiring, and then tow the truck over to get some fuel in the tank. The goal is to have it running in the next month.

Partial final assembly on the front end and hoping that I do not have to pull the motor and trans out again.

My flexible fuel lines are done so I will be picking them up today, once I do that I can start wiring, and then tow the truck over to get some fuel in the tank. The goal is to have it running in the next month.[/QUOTE]

That's going to be a monumental day indeed. It's a really motivating thing when you can go out and fire it when you go to working on the next phase.
I forgot you're running hi pressure propane. Stay after it.

Didn't get out of work early enough to get the lines today, so it will have to be tomorrow. I did however get the grill shell cut down and re-welded back together... still need to clear it for the suspension mounts, and sort out a way to mount the shell and a radiator out front without a bunch of bulky bracketry. It is going to sit a bit lower once I clear the sides for the suspension...

Attachments

• DSC05153.jpg
    DSC05153.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC05154.jpg
    DSC05154.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC05155.jpg
    DSC05155.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 78
That's a cool looking grille! I'm diggin' the spring perch covers you have mocked up too. :cool:

[P[P[P

Thanks! Yea, trying to not beat them up paint wise :)

Anyhow, no gas left in the tank to work on the truck tonight, a long week of not sleeping well caught up with me after work today... I did manage to pick up my custom lines, now I just need to make up my brackets to hold the hard lines and put a couple slight bends in the new lines.

Pics:

Attachments

• DSC05156.jpg
    DSC05156.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC05157.jpg
    DSC05157.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 41
No such luck on feeling good enough wednesday, besides we had 93+ and high humidity this week, no weather for working inside a garage with no A/C... Especially after some long work hours... anyhow.. finally got a little time in the garage tonight, and tomorrow I plan on some more. Still have this cold, but its getting better...

Started doing a final mockup on the grille shell and the mounts, I think I've decided on round tube with some "speed holes" I guess to reduce the visual impact of two sets of bars coming off the frame on angles... I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Also ordered some assorted clamps and other things I need to finish up my lines, and work on wiring... I found a radiator, just have to find the green stuff to pay for it now...

Latest posts

Back