50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
car show, swap meet, and no energy

Well, made it to a car show today with a swap meet... managed to deal on a set of '04 S-type Jaguar HID headlight assemblies... I got them torn down and tested both work, so these will find their way into the old 7" round housings.

Best part, they wanted $20 for the set... can't even buy a bulb for that, I talked him down to $14 [cl

Hopefully tomorrow or later tonight I'll have some energy to fab up some brackets for the grille shell and radiator, planning on ordering the radiator this week. :cool:

Well, looks like the projectors are too long to fit in the headlight housings I have, so that will go on the back burner for now, probably make some driving lights out of them instead, perhaps some old school rocket or bomb looking housings with the projectors inside...

Some pics of the progress & lights

Got the mounts on the frame for the round tube setup to support the radiator and grille shell. Its coming together, its going to be setup so that the whole assembly can be removed, each piece, the radiator and grille shell, that way I can work on everything easily. (suspension can travel 4"+ before any interference, pic angle makes it look way closer than it is)

Also a couple pics of the projector beams for some future light project....

Attachments

• DSC05158.jpg
    DSC05158.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC05159.jpg
    DSC05159.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC05160.jpg
    DSC05160.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC05161.jpg
    DSC05161.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 46
grille shell mounts pretty much complete

My radiator is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, so I worked on wrapping up the grille shell mounts, which will also support the radiator & fan assy.

I'm fairly happy with the mounts, but with only one bolt in the mounts at the frame I do have a little play in the setup, but I have some ideas on how to fix that.

Two of the round arms will likely be welded to the framework for the radiator to mount to, and the other two will bolt to that framework so that everything will disassemble for blast and paint work.

On to pics...

Attachments

• DSC05162.jpg
    DSC05162.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC05163.jpg
    DSC05163.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC05164.jpg
    DSC05164.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC05165.jpg
    DSC05165.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC05166.jpg
    DSC05166.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 51
Everything is coming along great.....

Grill looks good and too bad on the lights , was a cool idea.....Which show and swap were you at??

Grill looks good and too bad on the lights , was a cool idea.....Which show and swap were you at??

I'm still going to use the lights, either as driving lights, or get new headlight assemblies... anyone have any of the looooonnnngggg headlight housings from the 30s and 40s?

I was at the Easy Rodders show at Packard Proving grounds... there is a show there sunday as well, all Mopar show and swap meet.

Thanks Sarge!

Cool.....

My wife dragged me up to Port Carling for a week away.....didn't really want to go but then found out the granddaughter was going to come too....so I had a great time boating and fishing with her....she's my ray of sunshine in a sometimes bleak world....

Seriously the work you've done is super....[cl

My wife dragged me up to Port Carling for a week away.....didn't really want to go but then found out the granddaughter was going to come too....so I had a great time boating and fishing with her....she's my ray of sunshine in a sometimes bleak world....

Seriously the work you've done is super....[cl

Family time always has to come first! No problem there Sarge, I'm sure we will meet up some time at a show! Enjoy your fishing, I plan on doing that in late August.

I like the grill mount. Nice and easy to get at. I need another elbow to get at mine.

That was a big point to me considering I may need to get at the rotary shocks I plan on running which will reside between the upper links, or other items up front without trying to work around the grille shell...

Looks great.

I be liking that grille mount, too, DR. :D

All of the front end sheet metal on Buford mounts to the radiator support. Since my cab is so low, it was a major chore to mount mine. Yours looks very sturdy.[;)

Lynn

I be liking that grille mount, too, DR. :D

All of the front end sheet metal on Buford mounts to the radiator support. Since my cab is so low, it was a major chore to mount mine. Yours looks very sturdy.[;)

Lynn

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated!

Radiator showed up today, height is good, width could have been a little wider, but for what I paid for a chopped 32 Ford radiator setup for a ford motor, I'm happy, $200 shipped from ebay, with a fan...

Only issue is the upper inlet is 1.5" instead of 1.75, but that is what adapters are for...

Tonight I'm sketching up what I plan for the radiator mounts, and a couple air diverters inside the grille shell, hoping to get some or all of it made tomorrow... I'll need fan mounts, as those plastic zip ties I'm not a fan of..:p

Radiator mounts complete minus final welding

Well today was productive, made the bottom rail mount for under the radiator, and two side mounts that just trap the radiator with a C-channel, and rubber.
The bottom rail has the same rubber isolation, and some nylon washers as well. I need to drill some holes in the bottom rail so it doesn't fill with water in the rain ;)

Still have a couple things to sort out, and some deflectors to make to force all the air through the radiator, but all in all, I'm pretty happy with everything so far. [;)[;)

Attachments

• DSC05167.jpg
    DSC05167.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC05168.jpg
    DSC05168.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC05169.jpg
    DSC05169.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC05170.jpg
    DSC05170.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC05171.jpg
    DSC05171.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 51
Good goin' DirtyRat. I think you will be very happy that you went with a new radiator. They just work a way better than an old half plugged one. Again, Good going on the whole project, keep on tinkering.

Latest posts

Back