50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a lot of progress tonight, I did get the rear section of the frame mostly in primer, but I need to weld in a couple end caps yet on one of the frame sections.

The other thing I got done was to order the 2 brackets I need for the rear sway bar... searches yielded me no real options except from the dealer... Also ordered the upper spring isolators as well... ugh, more money than I wanted to spend, but I don't want to have to take apart the rear again...

Trying to take steps in the right order so I don't have to assemble and disassemble things another 20 times...

bills

D. R '' ugh, more money than I wanted to spend''

l keep telling everyone, if that pesky house payment & light bill would stop taking our money we could build more toys.[;)

need some pics, yore slackin[ddd

Later :cool:

Thanks guys for the compliments! I'll try to snap some pics tonight if I have time. Gotta get some yard work done after work and then off to a party...

So if not tonight, sometime tomorrow! :)

Well we skipped the party.
Anyhow, pics as promised, a little mock up on the shocks...
Going to rotate the shocks a bit to get the end links closer to the upper arm.

Attachments

• DSC05180.jpg
    DSC05180.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC05182.jpg
    DSC05182.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC05181.jpg
    DSC05181.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 58
Not a lot of progress today, I did however get the rear axle cleaned up, and painted, as well as the panhard bar...

You always say "not a lot of progress" but ya know what??? any time you work on it that is progress and it is getting it closer to done AND closer to the street!!! Keep up the good work bud you are doing just fine!

Ok ok =)
A little progress tonight, disassembled one side of the front suspension to verify my shock concept will work. All seems good, tomorrow I'll start cutting & fabbing the shock mounts.

I kinda got rained out, the truck is so long I have to work with the garage door open to work on the front suspension and its raining like crazy tonight...

Anyone contemplating using the TR6 rotary shocks, I think they are great so far, but I'll have to see how well they dampen once they are solidly mounted.

My parts are in at the Ford dealer as well, they called me this morning.
So now I need to get some paint laid down on the frame soon if I'm going to get this thing back on the suspension... still need to make a couple pieces to keep the springs centered on the rear spring mounts, but that should not be a big deal. I have to work with the spring isolator which is one of the parts I ordered upper spring isolators.

It is coming together... still have a few loose ends to tie up, but I'm feeling good about the progress...

Real Progress again. =)

Picked up my spring isolators, they are going to fit in the spring buckets by just trimming one edge!

Also picked up the brackets for the rear sway bar, all that has to be done now is the links that would normally go to the body have to be extended, and some mounts have to be welded off the frame.

Probably need to get some bump stops setup too, but thats not priority.

Made the front shock end-link mounts that will be welded to the upper arms, and also sorted out the shock mount mostly, I'll be trimming it down a bit more, and adding some more pieces to it for strength.

I got the end caps welded in on the last part of the frame I needed to weld.

All in all a good productive night. :D

Attachments

• DSC05183.jpg
    DSC05183.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC05184.jpg
    DSC05184.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC05185.jpg
    DSC05185.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC05186.jpg
    DSC05186.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC05187.jpg
    DSC05187.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC05188.jpg
    DSC05188.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC05189.jpg
    DSC05189.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC05190.jpg
    DSC05190.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 47
Couple more pics

I fabbed up the other shock bracket for the driver's side, and welded up the end link mount which will get welded to the upper arms...

These pics show the concept, but not in position yet, just sitting on the jack.

Attachments

• DSC05192.jpg
    DSC05192.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC05193.jpg
    DSC05193.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC05194.jpg
    DSC05194.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 43
Progress, I got the front shock mounts welded in, just need a couple gusset plates, and maybe a cross bar for some stiffness between the brackets. The end link mounts are welded on the upper arms, and are ready for blast and paint.

Got the rear suspension put back together, and damn I just about dropped the whole frame off the axle when one of the springs shifted and fell over... differential housing is tough and caught it... Anyhow, I'll snap some more pics when I get it all back together.

Not sure when I will work on it again, as vacation starts after work saturday.. I need a week away, thats for sure... Heading up to Caseville for a week.

Latest posts

Back