50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good! Whats the flare from?

These are from 90s I think Blazer fenders that I cut up.
I can't quite decide, I'll probably sleep on it for a couple days and see if I just want to extend the current wheel well some, or add the flare... flare = more work, but probably worth it.

I wouldnt lose any of the poncho arrow area, I would cut the flare around that if I were to go with it...

Today & Tomorrow = headers fabrication, if things go well maybe other stuff too, but considering this is my first full header build it may be a couple day project.

Thanks for the positive comments, in looking at the truck I'm fairly happy with it except for the wheel gap, and the rocker areas need to be filled in and match the bottom of the cab angle which is definitely on the list of to-dos..

Last edited:
These are from 90s I think Blazer fenders that I cut up.
I can't quite decide, I'll probably sleep on it for a couple days and see if I just want to extend the current wheel well some, or add the flare... flare = more work, but probably worth it.

Thanks for the positive comments, in looking at the truck I'm fairly happy with it except for the wheel gap, and the rocker areas need to be filled in and match the bottom of the cab angle which is definitely on the list of to-dos..

I'm sure that what ever you do will fit the build.:)
Looking at the rear quarters with the tires sticking out like that reminds me of all the young bloods who jacked up their 57 chevys and early camaro's and 69 Nova's to get some meatballs under their fenderwells back in my day......[cl
Torchie,

I'm sure that what ever you do will fit the build.:)
Looking at the rear quarters with the tires sticking out like that reminds me of all the young bloods who jacked up their 57 chevys and early camaro's and 69 Nova's to get some meatballs under their fenderwells back in my day......[cl
Torchie,

Indeed, I had my Nova jacked up a bit too to fit meats under it!

Anyhow, I got one header fabbed and ready for TIG weld, I worked on the harder of the two, so hopefully the other side will go easier with nothing in the way.
Jegs header kit is about a 7/10 bends were pretty good for the most part, but could have been better. The collector is utter crap, and if I do another set of headers with a kit I'll be ordering a good collector...

I did angle the collector toward the inside so its easier to go under the frame when I get exhaust on the beast.

Anyhow, pics for the pic hungry:

Attachments

• DSC05417.jpg
    DSC05417.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC05418.jpg
    DSC05418.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC05420.jpg
    DSC05420.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC05421.jpg
    DSC05421.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 35
Headers ready for TIG

Just what the title says, I'm cooked.
Header "kit" is not what its cracked up to be, but it was not terrible.
Just piping lengths between bends being slightly off really jacks up how the 4 pipes come together at times... That and crappy collectors don't help either, lesson learned, don't skimp on collectors...

Tomorrow, O2 bungs go in, and TIG welding all the seams...

Attachments

• DSC05422.jpg
    DSC05422.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC05423.jpg
    DSC05423.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC05424.jpg
    DSC05424.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC05425.jpg
    DSC05425.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 44
Wow! I made it partway through your build and I wish I had half, no a quarter, of your innovation and welding skills!! What an awesome truck/car/rat!

John L.

Just what the title says, I'm cooked.
Header "kit" is not what its cracked up to be, but it was not terrible.
Just piping lengths between bends being slightly off really jacks up how the 4 pipes come together at times... That and crappy collectors don't help either, lesson learned, don't skimp on collectors...

Tomorrow, O2 bungs go in, and TIG welding all the seams...

I went through that with the "kit" I bought for the coupe. The collectors were by far the worst excuse for header collectors I've ever seen. I finally, after a bunch of hammering and shaping, got them on, but what a hassle! Good job on those, they look good. [cl

Wow! I made it partway through your build and I wish I had half, no a quarter, of your innovation and welding skills!! What an awesome truck/car/rat!
John L.

Thanks for the kind words!

I went through that with the "kit" I bought for the coupe. The collectors were by far the worst excuse for header collectors I've ever seen. I finally, after a bunch of hammering and shaping, got them on, but what a hassle! Good job on those, they look good. [cl

Yes, much hammering, especially with angling them inward...
They fit like crapola between the pipes on the outside until they are split and hammered in...

Whenever i build headers I tack the 4 tubes and remove the collector, trim and clean as necessary, weld inner edges and put the collectors on, I always use the wedge end of my body hammer and get the collector fitting better

Whenever i build headers I tack the 4 tubes and remove the collector, trim and clean as necessary, weld inner edges and put the collectors on, I always use the wedge end of my body hammer and get the collector fitting better

I agree, if the collectors would have had a better shape I would have been happier. If I were to trim the tubes themselves I imagine it would have fit better, but seeing as how you have to weld the tubes on the outside seam anyhow, I felt like splitting the collector between the tubes was the best bet for getting a nice fitment to weld the collectors up.

I did try to re-shape the collector prior to installation but that was not happening with the gauge of steel and the strength of the shape they formed it to... Once I got the collector tacked in place with the splits, I could tack weld it and form it around the tubes more easily.

I like the over-all shape of your headers. You are saying that I should stay back about 20 ft. and not be crawling around right up close with a magnifying glass, right. Sometimes, when we see the finished picture in our dreams we don't see the long, rough path we have to take to get to the final picture. You've walked the walk and you're there at your finished picture of the headers.
Keep on tinkering

I like the over-all shape of your headers. You are saying that I should stay back about 20 ft. and not be crawling around right up close with a magnifying glass, right. Sometimes, when we see the finished picture in our dreams we don't see the long, rough path we have to take to get to the final picture. You've walked the walk and you're there at your finished picture of the headers.
Keep on tinkering

Thanks MM! I think they turned out nice enough that I plan on getting the coated once the exhaust guy adds the extra bends and the pivot assembly for the exhaust down the road some time...

Pivot assembly? [S What is it and what's its purpose?

Ehhh, wrong terminology, It is a collector ball flange... (see Pic) Allows some flex, but I'll probably have a flex joint put in somewhere as well.

I need to add a couple bends then the ball flange.

Anyhow, as promised, the headers are TIG welded, and O2 bungs installed... ready to go back on...[;)[;)[;)

Ehhh, wrong terminology, It is a collector ball flange... (see Pic) Allows some flex, but I'll probably have a flex joint put in somewhere as well.

I need to add a couple bends then the ball flange.

Anyhow, as promised, the headers are TIG welded, and O2 bungs installed... ready to go back on...[;)[;)[;)

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification. You said pivot assembly and I had some weird picture in my head of a swing-away exhaust :p

Headers on, some of the harness installed

Just some re-assembly tonight, and started installing the first part of the harness. This part will require no adjustment other than extending the harness for the O2 sensors.

Starting to map out what I need for the battery cables and such as well.

Tomorrow the cab is getting marked up for clearance areas that need to be added to the cab, then its coming off for final patch, weld, painting of the bottom and firewall, and sealing up everything. The cab has to go back on as soon as possible so I can work on wiring.

Anyhow a couple pics

Attachments

• DSC05426.jpg
    DSC05426.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC05427.jpg
    DSC05427.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC05428.jpg
    DSC05428.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC05429.jpg