50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, no test drive yet, but very close...

11 hours in on the rat yesterday, video of the start up with the headers from yesterday below.

Having a brake pedal pressure issue with the vacuum line hooked up, I posted in the Q&A section, but I did wrap up quite a bit of stuff, just not enough to test drive especially with the potential brake issue.
(So far, the options seem to be bleed them more, and a potential bad booster)

The motor sounds totally different with the headers, so much better sound than the stupid log manifold the factory puts on it...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203959221603901

Filled up the trans, and I need to pick up a quart of oil, I'm a tinge low...
I have a TON of wiring to clean up later, but for now it will have to suffice, the oil, water and tach work, hopefully the speedo as well... Going to need some dash massaging to fit the new cluster into the dash, probably remove the housings, and put a piece of plexiglass over it to make it all fit..... but that is for another day...

Last edited:
Your making a lot of guys envy you. I haven't had a 11 hr day on my project(s) in years. Need to make time but just never happens. Looking great Rich.

Last night I mounted the power steering reservoir, and hooked up lines, hoping to test that tonight... Was hoping to sort out some brake issues, I had a couple very slight leaks that I tightened up and fixed and re-bled the brakes, good pedal with no vacuum, but no feel when the engine is running, however the brakes are stopping the wheels when I try to turn them by hand. I'm going to call today and ask some questions at MPBrakes. I'm starting to wonder if this MC has the capacity with these disc brake calipers I'm using...

The other question is whether or not I can properly bleed them without the steel plug in where the safety switch is (to illuminate the brake warning light when one circuit loses pressure).

Sounds like your making progress DR.
Keep us posted on the brakes as there seems to be a lot of these types of brake issues popping up lately.
Torchie.

Last night I played with the brakes some, we will see after bleeding them tonight what they yield, worst case I'll disable the booster if it gets me a more confident non rear end puckering pedal feel.

I also made the pieces I need to have the bumpers on, so those are temporarily installed, still need some reinforcement, but they are on. Taillight housings are going on tonight, but probably without lights just yet...

Hoping for a short test drive tonight, fingers crossed for no leaks, including the power steering which I need to fill and test yet.

residual valves

if the pedal on the brakes is really "squishy" and won't pump up try some residual valves in line. l had to this for the 193OISH sedan, we could not get a solid pedal and l fought for a week till l went and put the residual valves in line, one in the front & one in the rear.

remember disc brake and drum brake to different pressure to operate correctly.

try here:

http://www.mbmbrakeboosters.com/ind...tent&view=category&layout=blog&id=8&Itemid=16

hope this help.

Later

Skull, I have 2lb residuals both front and rear, and I'm running disc disc.
MP Brakes is going to send me a new booster.

Video of the drive back from Billetproof:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202683632505787&l=8904905431859444253

I'll try to get pics of the show up, maybe tonight we took about 215 pics yesterday!

Only major issue is that somehow I had it in my head how the lines for the PS were supposed to go off a couple pics I looked up, and I had them backwards... not a good thing... I ended up just draining the fluid and running without PS for the short drive...

Was a great day, we got real lucky on the weather!

Attachments

• DSC05445.jpg
    DSC05445.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC05443.jpg
    DSC05443.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC05441.jpg
    DSC05441.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC05444.jpg
    DSC05444.jpg