51 F1 Rat Rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you read that right. I bought it from a fellow out in Ayr. He had originally perchased it from his mechanics widow. I believe she was from Paris. There wasn't much left by the time I got to it. Basically just the suspension, a runable flat head 8BA V8, two thirds of the cab and the hood.

Yes, you read that right. I bought it from a fellow out in Ayr. He had originally perchased it from his mechanics widow. I believe she was from Paris. There wasn't much left by the time I got to it. Basically just the suspension, a runable flat head 8BA V8, two thirds of the cab and the hood.

Hmm, I live 20-25 minutes from both Ayr and Paris. Remember an old wrecking yard auction in Ayr about 12-15 years ago. Good stuff in this area's all picked over, though. You were lucky to get what you got when you did.

Yes I remeber that wrecking yard well. It belonged to a fellow by the name of Harry Griffith. Nice fellow once you got to know him. He would let me rumage around in there to my hearts content when I was a kid. ( I grew up in Ayr) Unfortunetly there wasn't much of any good tin left in there by the time I was old enough to do anything with it. It's been closer to 20 yrs now since the yard closed down. He was a car guy right till the end. He was found by a friend, sitting at his desk in the shop one day when he hadn't been heard from for a few days.
As far as finding something to build around here. Yeah, it's getting pretty scarce, and what you do find is usually really ruff. However there are still cars in barns and garages left to be found. You just have to get your nose to the ground, and talk to lots of people for leads.

Roddgy1, you sure have had your share of troubles guy! Glad you hung with it. Gonna be a great truck. Wish I had your determination and inventiveness. Perley

Thanks Perley, I stick with it cause I enjoy it so much. Seems my stars are changing too. I can now anouce that I'm opening up my own rod shop. It is called RiotZ Creations. I'm very excited and looking forward to the future. The first project coming into the shop is a 1937 MG TD. This is to be a total frame off rebuild. Yeah I know it's not a rod, but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

Thanks Perley, I stick with it cause I enjoy it so much. Seems my stars are changing too. I can now anouce that I'm opening up my own rod shop. It is called RiotZ Creations. I'm very excited and looking forward to the future. The first project coming into the shop is a 1937 MG TD. This is to be a total frame off rebuild. Yeah I know it's not a rod, but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

Congratulations and Good Luck!!

best of luck

just read you build, you certainly had more than your share of setbacks but sounds like that will be a sweet ride when you get her there. Congrats on the shop opening, with you talent it will be a sucess......tc Tim

What happened to the build . Just finished reading on KB ,don't know what happened there.

He hasn't posted here either,just wondering about the truck,if its done. I want to see how it turned out.

Sorry for the lack of progress guys. I am still working on my box but there's nothing to really see for progress pics. I've also been very very busy with my new shop. I'm working on a 38 MG TA which I'm building and entire new body for in steel to replace the old wood reinforced junk. I'll be posting a tread on that in a couple weeks. If anyone is interested I also have a new web sight up for the new shop. It's still under construction but you can view it now. Here is the link.

www.riotzcreations.com

Please be patient guys I can only do 7 things at once. :D

Randy ,,good luck with the new business,I know it will keep you very busy after seeing the quality work you do. I am not too far from you, wouldn't mind checking out the truck if I'm down that way, if thats OK. Got to do some work in Kitchener in a while.
Harald

Well at long last I have a few update pics for you guys. I'm hoping that I will be able to get more frequet opprotunities to work on this rig, but here is a little more for now.

I had changed some of my ideas on this build and made a shorter box than originally planed. This meant that I needed to remove 5" from the frame rails. So I took the cab back off, which was just mocked on at this point and layed out my cuts. (Pics 1 and 2)

Once the frame was separated I used the 5" I cut out as sleeves and plug welded them into place on the rear half off the frame. (pic 3)

The front half of the frame was preped and then the rear half was drawn into place with a come along. It was a nice tight snug fit. A heavy brace rail was clamped into place to keep things straight. I then made all my plug welds on the front half of the sleeve.
(pics 4 and 5)

Attachments

• 51 Ford 180.jpg
    51 Ford 180.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 51 Ford 179.jpg
    51 Ford 179.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 51 Ford 182.jpg
    51 Ford 182.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 51 Ford 183.jpg
    51 Ford 183.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 51 Ford 185.jpg
    51 Ford 185.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 69
Here all the welding is finished and the box floor is in place. (pic 1)

Getting the box screwed back together for it's first test fit on the truck.
(pic 2)

The last three pics are the truck back on the trailer as we were headed off to a local car show of which we were a sponsor.

There is still so much work left to bring things into proportion. Such as the cab needs to be channeled down 2" more and the lower back of the box needs to be trimmed up once the bullets under the tail lights have been fitted. However, you can start to see where I'm going with this now.

Attachments

• 51 Ford 186.jpg
    51 Ford 186.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 51 Ford 189.jpg
    51 Ford 189.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 51 Ford 192.jpg
    51 Ford 192.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 51 Ford 194.jpg
    51 Ford 194.jpg