52 GMC build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At first I didn't understand about the offset, but now I see why. Whenever you get ready to put it down far enough to decapitate the ants in the road just let me know. It really isn't hard to do on the front or rear. Just time consuming. You will need the bed out of the way to make it a little more easy on yourself.

Your progress looks good soo far. Keep pluggin away at it.

Thanks Flat, and that brings up a question. Did you change your spindles or did you just cut the springs? I'm gonna need a lot of drop to get this thing down.

All I did was cut the springs and cut off the bump stop mount from the LCA to give me ample suspension travel. If you are going to cut as much spring as I did, you won't be able to jack up the front end in the center. Mine now has to be done one side at a time. Reason being, 2 rounds is really too much to cut. When it gets jacked in the center, both springs come unseated and just about fall out completely.

When you get ready to notch the back, save up the money and buy a bolt in unit from Clint Peetree @ K P Komponents. It would reallly save you all the headache I tried to get around.

The only reason it rides a little rough is because the bed is off so the weight is not on the rearend.

If you need any help with yours, PM me your # and I will be glad to help over the phone as much as I can...

Cool man. While I have it all apart, I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the 2 1/2" drop spindles and get the 2" or 3" drop springs for the front.

I will flip the rear and notch the frame. That guys kit is hardcore!

More mockup done. She's starting to look like a truck again!

I went to the local metal store and picked up the round tubing and flat stock to make the new body mounts. I should be able to knock those out sometime this week. Once the body is mounted, it's slam city!!!!!!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 44
Starting to look like a truck man.
I got a question for ya...instead of buying new wheels w/different offsets, is there any way you would be able to space out the fenders (mayb 1 1/2 in.) in order to tuck the front wheels ?????

Just tossin out ideas...

I thought about that also. I also know where I can get a front clip off of a 2 ton? chevy and gmc of the same year. That front end looks like it has bigger fenders. Does anybody know for certain? I can probably get the whole front clip for $150, but would it look funny on my cab?

Here's a pic of the gmc front clip.

Oh, and I went to Chevy Duty today and picked up the new cab mounts so I can start making the spacers.

Attachments

• 04-27-07_1118.jpg
    04-27-07_1118.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Cool, maybe I can get the core support from that thing for my truck. I think the grille was the same size too. I'll go out there this week and measure some stuff.

Alright, I made some good progress this weekend. The cab is mounted to the c10 frame. Here's how I made the blocks, in case anybody wants to do it in the future.
1) Here's the 1/4" plate and 1/8" wall 3" diameter tubing that I started with.
2) Here's the plate cut down to squares in order to cap the tube sections.
3) Since I don't have a plasma cutter, I cut off all the metal I could to cut down on grinding time.
4) I placed the tubing on the squares and used spray paint, so I know how much to grind off.
5) After A LOT of grinding I got the caps to fit the tubes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 42
Alright, got the other pics.
1) On the inside of two of the plates, I drilled a hole and welded the captive nut on.
2) Then I tacked the plates on
3) and welded them up.
4) Then I welded a piece of strap to the tops, that will be welded to the cab.
5) Here's the finished spacer sitting on the stock 80 mount.

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 87.jpg
    87.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 73
1) Here's where I cleaned the bottom of the cab to weld the new piece in.
2) and a pic of the spacer installed

It's just resting there, this was taken before it was all lined up and bolted down.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 57
Now I made the rear mounts. Since I wanted the cab as low as possible w/o cutting up the floor and it was sitting on the stock 80 mounts, I decided to build a brace for the inside of the cab for the rear mounts to bolt too.
1) Here's the back floor of the cab.
2) Then I cut some 1"x2" 1/8" wall box tubing to run from the seat frame to the back of the cab. Drilled a hole for the body bolt and welded a sleeve in for stability.
3) Then I welded a nut to the top side of each piece.
4) and cut a piece to go in between the two. Then welded everything together.

This is where I'm at now. I just need to clean up the back mount brace, along with the inside of the cab and then weld it in.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 28
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg