52 GMC build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies. I haven't been on the computer in a while. I'm finally getting a job using my newly acquired degree in psychology so I've been pretty busy.

I did get the cab completely mounted to the chassis. I ended up using some rally wheels off of an 80's chevy van on the front because they are about an inch narrower and have a larger backspacing. I'm starting to build the core support, then i can start to work on the ride height. I'll try and post some pics tonight.

I hadn't seen this thread before. Looks like a good one!
I bet there's lots of people planning simillar builds now that you've made it look so easy with such cool results.

Keep the updates coming.

Hat

I noticed you had not been around in a while.
At least you are stayin busy.

The wiper motor works and so does the radio you sent me. Big thanks again.

Glad to hear it Flat.

I was surprised that I couldn't find one example of this suspension swap on the internet.:confused: I've been wanting to do it for years, but held back to see if anybody else had done it. I just eventually gave up and decided to go ahead and face the problems head on. Luckily so far I haven't found any! I thought the width of the front end was gonna give me trouble, but using those van wheels are perfect.

Here's pics of the rear mount installed and primed. The cab is as sturdy as from the factory now.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 38
good luck with the build ,their is a kid driving one around here all the time to the cruise in like that,looks good but the front wheels stick out quiet a bit and i dont think you could lower it any .
he says it drives great though,and i see him every where in it too.

Hey, next time you see the kid could you pick his brain for me? Ask him which wheels he's running and if he had any problems with the conversion. Oh, and see what motor he's running and how he did his core support. I'd really appreciate it. For all I know there could be a huge problem waiting for me at the end of the tunnel.

Be glad to check on info for ya ,[i have a 50 and a 52 myself ]it may take a little while ,i;ll have to track him down .I'll try to get some pic's for ya if i can.
also i herd of another one done the same way across the motain ,i'll check up on it too .
there are alote of 48-54 chevys around here [real popular for some reason]and ive worked on 3or 4 besides mine ,have seen alote of differant ideas .
Just finished working on a 51 that some one put the body on a 94 caprice police car frame they cut the center out and replaced with3''x4'' tubing.
Worked out really well all but the front,the wheels rued [17''s]we had to order special wheels and still ended up reraidcing the wheel wells.
but the truck set real low and wasent lowwerd yet .
But this gave the truck 4 wheel disk ,anti lock brakes,quike stering box,tilt stering ,digital dash ,a computer and fuel injection plastic fuel tank ,and one heck of a big mess of wires .took me most of the summer to figure it out and fabracation was a nightmare too .
On core supports ,the local dirt trakers usally have some neat ideas for clean easy fabraction on them ,and usually now what works and what don't,becase they build some all the time!

I'm at work so I don't have any pics, but the 80 frame has been striped of all the 80 sheetmetal and the body of the 52 is securly mounted. I just put in a 292 six and four speed with new clutch and flywheel out of a 1985 chevy. I just need to get a radiator and have a driveshaft made then I can run the fuel lines and wire everything. I'm just glad it's finally spring so I can get some work done. She should be going here really soon.:D:D

Well this is a thread from the past but I'm back at it with the 52. With the help of some buddies I've made a lot of progress. I flipped the rear which lowered it about 5 inches in the ass but it wasn't enough so I ordered some 4 inch blocks from speedway. I'm gonna put them in tomorrow. I also patched the floor and dressed up the motor a bit. All of the little things are coming together and if I keep up this momentum without interference, I'll be rolling soon. This truck has been waiting for me to finish it for a really long time and it's been long enough. I built a chopper and now I need a parts chaser. [ddd

Looking forward to seeing how your truck is looking "nowadays," when you get the chance!:cool:

This swap has had a fair bit of documentation on the Web, the aforementioned Stovebolt site is a good place to search-I used to be a member over there. Check their "Hi-Po Shop" forum.

There's another site which comes to mind, something like "Joe's '50 Chevy Site," I'll do a quick google and post back.

Love these Chevy AD's (and GMC ND's) and always enjoy seeing builds. Thanks for sharing.:cool:[P

Regards,
Shea:)

Sorry, I needed a pee and smoke break.:eek:

Anyhoo, the site I mentioned earlier no longer exists. I found a link you may find interesting, though:

www.chevytrucks.org/tech/63-87_ifs_upgrade/index.htm

Many folks have swapped over the IFS crossmember onto the stock early GM frame with some success. It appears that the biggest issue is, as you already noticed, tire to fender clearance.

Check out the other threads here in the "Builds" section, I believe there's a fella here by the name "Rat Rod Fireman" who's done this same swap onto a Chevy Suburban chassis. He widened his front fenders to add tire clearance, turned out looking pretty good, too!:cool:

On the topic of fenders-You will find that the "big truck" front clips from this era of truck-i.e. 1-1/2 ton or 2 ton- are WIDER, LONGER and have LARGER wheelwell openings. The hoods and grilles are larger, too. You could make it work, but you would likely need to move your cab back on your chassis in order to maintain front wheel centering in the wheelwell. I'm sorry, I don't know the EXACT size difference measurements, again I would refer you to:

www.stovebolt.com

Check their "Big Trucks" forum.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back