'65 Rover Half Cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admire the fact that you got out of your easy chair so you could 'slap' your top down! I wouldn't have wanted to meet you in a dark alley 30 years ago![cl

Well, that didn't work. Too much stretched metal and no place to move it to. I trimmed the roof cap so a 2" flange remains. With a plastic hammer and dolly I put a bit of a radius on the flange. Now in the process of fitting and sculpting styrofoam to use as a form for a fiberglass roof. I does need a bit of crown and it needs to be symetrical from side to side and front to rear so I'll need a couple templates, or a good eye.

No one can accuse you of being afraid to try something!

The fiberglass roof will probably work out better anyways. My thought was to skin the top flatter and rivet, as you did with the back panel, making something that looked like a T-Bucket Top, but in metal. Whatever you end up with I know will look killer.

I've been gradually creating some contour to the roof using drywall joint compound. Also picked up some 3/8" thick foam core material which will be bonded to the inside of the fiberglass roof to add strength and rigidity.

If this doesn't work, it'll be back to trying to make a metal top.

Thank you for the positive comments on the back panel.

You actually might be on to something there with the fiberglass top Bob. If you do it like a boat (glass sandwiching foam) it will be strong as heck, light and will have excellent insulating properties. Just think of how hot the aluminum skin would have been radiating down on your head. [P

Hi love the build very cool.I am no expert by any means.Just wondering why you mayby didn't us a piece or roof from another vehicle with mayby a different flatter crown.Im shure you have thought of that and have your reasons why.Opps sorry been mentioned before

Sometimes life gets a little difficult. I was typing on the RRR and my screen announced it was going to sleep. Then I smelled that acrid odor of electrical parts burning. Smoke curled out of the grill. Finally took it to the shop and it needs a power supply.

Took a shower and the water went from the upstairs to the main level tub. Oh oh, a septic system problem? Yes, I dug through four feet of snow to expose the tank lids. Both tanks full. Checked the lift station and repaired an electrical connection. The pump runs but water and other stuff from the house takes a long time to
make the journey. We have made adjustments like, I go to the local home improvement store to go Number Two. Boy, they got upset when I sat on a display model.

Things are not going well on the roof cap. Sorry,no pics as I am using an iPad and don't have a clue about posting them.
Had to remove the joint compound as it would not harden because I applied it to thick. Switched to Bondo. For the bulk of the build up. Laid up one layer of glass and it remained too flexible. Bonded the foam core to the back but it did not stick well. Switched to polyester resin and it is okay. The whole works is still too flexible so I laid more glass on top. Now waiting for it to set up. All hope of having a nice textured fiberglass surface are gone as there are too many imperfections. It will need filler and sanding.

Still not sure it will even work.

Gotta go bail out the laundry tub. She just washed clothes.

Still no computer. Doing this on an iPad and I have no clue regarding posting pics. When the power supply blew in the computer it wreaked havoc on the hard drive. Still in the repair shop where they are trying to recover the hard drive contents.
I disassembled the whole car and put most of the body in the basement.
Finished welding the frame and primered it today. Everything will be stored until fall when work will resume. Oh, I did get the newly contoured roof almost done. Enough so I can see what it looks like.
Now, it's back to the dragster and Reo projects

I ditched the XP computer for windows 8 and feel like I'm ten miles behind.[S

To quote slick Willie, "I feel your pain"

Finally got the computer back from the repair shop. Here's the first pic. The fiberglass cap I made didn't exactly fit. It was supposed to go on top of the aluminum surround. Ended up trimming it and using it as an insert from the underside. Then I fiberglassed it in place, top and bottom, added foam core on the underside and glassed over that too.
Had to use some duraglass and bondo to get the contours right. All in all, way too much work for a simple roof cap.
Yes, Todd I've heard complaints abot Windows 8. This machine is using Windows Vista.

s
Frame is primed and painted. The rear end and cowl/firewall are loaded and will go to the sandblaster Monday. After priming and painting those pieces, it will all be put away til fall.

Resumed work on the Reo this afternoon. It should be driveable in a month.

Bob, that flatter roof panel looks exactly as it should have from the factory, the modifications you have done make this project look so much better than what the factory put out!

nice work! Looking forward to seeing more of the Reo project!

Latest posts

Back