8 track

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyf

Told my wife I wanted an 8 Track player for my car for Christmas

I got this look [S[S

She said I was crazy "where am I going to find a brand new 8 track player?"

I just laughed:D

anyone using one?

Haha, I remember pulling the tape out of mine a bunch of times when it would jam up, but I was "Mr. Cool" with my Beatles, Sly and the family stone, and other 60's groups cranked up all the way. :D:cool: Every so often the tape would twist and you had to turn those little sprockets to feed it back into the cartridge. I also remember having to use a Q tip and alcohol to clean the heads every so often. Ah, the good old days.

Don

Still use mine every now and then......

NewfloorLarge.jpg

.....that stereo on the wall in my shop has a turn table, dual cassettes and an 8-Track ! I've got a stack of vinyl about waist high, a suitcase full of cassettes and a couple dozen 8-Tracks......even have a selection of pencils, combs etc. to shim the 8-Tracks with, remember doing that? LOL

Also have my XM out there too..........can't have too much music.:cool:

Beach Boys were at the local fair a couple years ago... I hadn't listened to that music for years... I was singing along, when I suddenly realized I knew where all the tape "clicks" were missing :eek:

BTW... I always used match books for the spacer... those are even pretty rare these days...

How many of you guys had a reverberator in your cars ? We thought we were so cool and when you turned it on you got that "TWANG". :D That was high tech back then. I also had colored truck clearance lights under the dash............had to impress the chicks. :cool::D

Don

my last one was a Pioneer component system, had seperate amps & an EQ... but still had the 8 track "click" though...:D

Does anyone remember the old four track tape players, they were not around very long. Some of the early eight tracks would play the four track tapes.

Yep, the 8 tracks were a big improvement.........just like the latest I phones are way better than the older ones. How about those big cases of tapes you had to carry around with you ? A few years ago I bought 2 big cases of 8 track tapes and dragged them around for a long time before I finally sold them for something like $5 at a garage sale.

Did anyone ever join the Columbia Record Club where they would send you new tapes every month, even if you hadn't ordered them. There was almost no way to stop the flood of them coming, no matter what you did.

Don

still have my 8 track and reverb . I took it out of my '65 Econoline when some guy said he liked it . Thats how i lost my old 8 track when i lived in Chicago .
Herb

I remember when everyone had a $39 Kraco hanging under the dash.

I have several large boxes of 8 tracks I got at auction for $1

Somebody busted into my buddies truck and stole his beat up old Kraco unit once. We always wondered who would bother? [S He was mad because his Lynyrd Skynyrd was still jammed in it - and had been for a month.

Had one in all my early cars....

How many of you guys had a reverberator in your cars ? We thought we were so cool and when you turned it on you got that "TWANG". :D That was high tech back then. I also had colored truck clearance lights under the dash............had to impress the chicks. :cool::D

Don

How many of you had a record player????

My brother had a 63 Buick that had the reverb box in the trunk - thought that was the coolest thing ! My last 8 track player was one of those Craig Powerplay floor mount ones in my 65 Cutlass, it actually sounded pretty good for it's time with 4 speakers. Parked for 2 minutes in front of by friends muffler shop and someone absconded with my big briefcase full of 8 tracks from the back seat :mad:. At least they left the tape in the deck - Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon - played the crap out of it 'till no match book, pencil or rat tail comb would make it work. Finally broke down and bought one of them new-fangled cassette decks...

man i'm gettin old. i had a 72 f100 with an am radio, fm converter an 8 track player,and a cassett player mounted under the dash. i didn't much leg room but i had tunes.

Latest posts

Back