8 track

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never knew anything about the shimming you guys are talking about. Did the cartridge get loose in the slot or what ?

Don

When the tapes got old and stretched or the head got dirty, shimming the tape case up, down or sideways could get it to play better (sometimes), also pulling the tape out and whacking it on the dash a few times sometimes did the trick. :D
When all those sophisticated techniques failed, the last resort was the aforementioned left handed window toss...:mad:

Didja know that the 8 track was invented by Mr. Lear who also built Lear jets, a prolific inventor.

Oh yeah, I remember having to smack them on the dash to free up the spools. I think the plastic turning on plastic after a while wallowed out the bearing surface and they would start to stick. I also remember using head cleaners occasionally to get the residue off of the heads.

I also had a 45 rpm underdash record player that skipped like mad over bumps. Not bad when you were parked but lousy going down the road.

Don

Haha, I remember pulling the tape out of mine a bunch of times when it would jam up, but I was "Mr. Cool" with my Beatles, Sly and the family stone, and other 60's groups cranked up all the way. :D:cool: Every so often the tape would twist and you had to turn those little sprockets to feed it back into the cartridge. I also remember having to use a Q tip and alcohol to clean the heads every so often. Ah, the good old days.

Don

If you got the technique right, you could pull the tape, let it go and it would wind back into the case itself.

If you got the technique right, you could pull the tape, let it go and it would wind back into the case itself.

Yeah I remember doing that to tighten up the winding of the tape.......you would pull out about a one foot loop and grasp one side near the case and give it a quick yank and let go, if you had the right side of the loop the tape would spin itself back into the case tightly.........if you had hold of the wrong side of the loop you now had about two feet of tape hanging out :eek:

Threw a few out the window too...............I remember throwing Fleetwood Mac Rumors out the window with the tape still stuck in the player.......in retrospect, not a good idea........had to pull over with a hundred yards of tape strung out down the road and cut it loose :eek:

Didja know that the 8 track was invented by Mr. Lear who also built Lear jets, a prolific inventor.

I often wondered if there was a connection. This does nothing for my fear of flying, mind you.

"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. I apologize for interrupting your movie, but does anybody have a book of matches or a rat tail comb?"

Ron White engine failure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRJpRu2RsSs

Any of you ever have one of these when cassettes made it big?
8trackadapter.jpg

At first I thought that was one of the FM convertors that plugged into the 8 track and gave you FM radio, but I see it is an adapter to let you put smaller cassettes into an 8 track machine.

Don

Ahh yes, back when there ws no BASS.

Anyway my '72 Nova with power "nothing" cranked the tunes via an Audiovox 8-track player. Sound coming through the rear deck with only a single 6x9 speaker that probably had a 2 ounce magnet. But the dual plastic chrome organ pipe speaker grills looked Bitch'n! Yah I said it, BITCH'N!

I still have an under-dash record player stashed away in the garage. I might get it out and clean and polish it up before next cruise-in season. I've never had it in a vehicle , so I don't know if it works or not.Neither my '40 Chevy sedan or my '56 F100 have a radio , and the record players played thru the radio speaker.
I get a lot of questions and comments about the "swampcooler" ac/humidifier that hangs on the outside , passenger side. The record player will probably have a lot of people talking too.[S

I remember my only 8 track was a Craig unit installed in my 65 Chevy stepside. My next car was a 73 Monte Carlo that I installed a Sanyo cassette, Sparkomatic amp and Jensen triaxial speakers. Its no wonder my ears ring all the time.

Yup, the $39.95 Craig under dash in my 64 Cutlass, jammin the Beatles and Steppenwolf as loud as it could go through those $19 speakers. Volume knob went to 10 but somewhere around 7 you lost the ability to identify what you were listening to, lol.

Jensen triaxial speakers......The only speakers to have in the 70s. House system, Sansui 9090 and HPM100 speakers, i would sure like to have my hearing back.:(

Jensen triaxial speakers......The only speakers to have in the 70s. House system, Sansui 9090 and HPM100 speakers, i would sure like to have my hearing back.:(

I remember JBL 88s and 100s being the coveted house speakers. I never owned a good sound system, put all my $$ into going faster!! (And partying)

Latest posts

Back