96 GMC rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's been a while but....

Ok...got back into the barn after a ton of family stuff going on.....
and a set back with my Ponitac....but that's another story...
I started to cut in the one fender, and pulled the doors off to cut them in paint as well...kinda mocked up the desoto grill I picked up. Will fab up a new hood latch bracket so I can set the teeth back as they need to be....couldn't fit all the teeth into the space which surprised me....but then I can start on the surround for the grill and headlamp areas....also found out that I'll have to roll the fender lips on the front to keep them off the tires....but not a big issue.....still have to finish the filler work...hate that and it makes a mess so I've been dreading getting back into it....Not much but at least I got in there to do something other than work on other peoples stuff....another part of the long family stuff story....

Attachments

• desoto grill mocked up...jpg
    desoto grill mocked up...jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 98
  • side view after bed on.jpg
    side view after bed on.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Front fender in prime.jpg
    Front fender in prime.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 74
Sarge, I didn't mean you should round off the hood, but just extend the front lip down a inch or so over the headlights. Kinda like the older BMW's:
E46_m_m.jpg

Saw it for a song on Craigslist and it kinda popped into my head

Mmmm... chewy! :D

I don't know what possessed you to think Desoto grill, but I like it!

drove an hour to get it....thought it looked like something I could and it kinda screamed out to me to pick it up...53 i think but with the headlight moved like they are, I'll have to do some shuffling..thought it would be cool to make the park/turn light functional in the desoto location...just not sure how yet..

Still working to pull that off.....

Sarge, I didn't mean you should round off the hood, but just extend the front lip down a inch or so over the headlights. Kinda like the older BMW's:
E46_m_m.jpg

I'm going to fill the fender areas where the side markers were at anyway so I can roll them in slightly then make a lower valance below the teeth and exten the hood down a bit...should make the grill look recessed / sunk in....Haven't given up on your idea ..just trying to put the pieces together on how to make it work....I do understand what you mean on the hood..think that will work out good to oblong out the grill area....just thought the desoto teeth would look good kinda semi floating in the middle....

Lookin good Sgt!

On a side note, I'm parting a 98 suburban. Need any small bits fior yours?

I really like the grill!!! I agree that you should run the hood forward a bit, maybe the fenders too... Bet you could graft a couple inches into each with out much effort, pretty cheap too, the look would be amazing!

Guys.....I'm not leaving a tooth black or gold...lol

Just so happened the guy I got it from blasted and primed all but two of the teeth....the ones still black as he got it...I'm thinking a bright silver for contrast....all black would be way too much....
Neverdone...extended not so much as closed in a bit....I've already moved the hood latch reinforcement and braced up the core support to avoid any deflection of the hood latch as it closes....opened up a really nice gaping hole to fill....:D and painted the radiator a nice flat black as well...

Don't know how I missed this one Sarge.
Looks great.
I dig the Desoto grille. If you wanted to carry that theme thru the whole front end look at some 52-53 Buick headlight bezels. Or also some late 50's Lincoln
headlights.
Canting them would be cool.
Or if you wanted to go with more of the early 60's show car look you could easily fab up a drawer knob grill with the angled headlights. Like the truck pic posted.
The custom guys also like to use the Desoto Teeth with out the bar going across.
So many options....
Torchie.

Attachments

• 1953_buick_special_2-door_sedan_-_blue_-_fvl.jpg
    1953_buick_special_2-door_sedan_-_blue_-_fvl.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 1959_Lincoln_Premier_2-door_hardtop.JPG
    1959_Lincoln_Premier_2-door_hardtop.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 3023012185_04e1785bd8_z.jpg
    3023012185_04e1785bd8_z.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_2980.JPG
    100_2980.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 21
Sarge, draw me a picture............ I can't vision it.................

I am not saying to change the hood latch, I am saying extend the hood and fenders a 2 or 3 inches to french the grill a bit.....

Sarge, draw me a picture............ I can't vision it.................

I am not saying to change the hood latch, I am saying extend the hood and fenders a 2 or 3 inches to french the grill a bit.....

I think what Neverdone is suggesting is that you build what customizer's would call a "grill surround". Many times the masters would take parts from another Grill or take sheet metal and fab a kind of "Picture Frame" around the grill insert. May have included but not limited too extending the hood leading edge as well as the front fenders/headlight eyebrows. (which you truck doesn't have).
If you go with the Desoto grill you will need to fab up something to fill in that large opening where the original grill/headlights were so things flow.
As always, just my two cents worth.
Torchie.

I think what Neverdone is suggesting is that you build what customizer's would call a "grill surround". Many times the masters would take parts from another Grill or take sheet metal and fab a kind of "Picture Frame" around the grill insert. May have included but not limited too extending the hood leading edge as well as the front fenders/headlight eyebrows. (which you truck doesn't have).
If you go with the Desoto grill you will need to fab up something to fill in that large opening where the original grill/headlights were so things flow.
As always, just my two cents worth.
Torchie.

Yep..... sounds like you know what I am talking about. Just couldn't get my simple mind to spell it out.

Latest posts

Back