96 GMC rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep....I dig that....attached a photo of the front

I think what Neverdone is suggesting is that you build what customizer's would call a "grill surround". Many times the masters would take parts from another Grill or take sheet metal and fab a kind of "Picture Frame" around the grill insert. Torchie.

with the grill mocked up....if you notice the headlamps are now round and canted....the removal of the hood latch support opened the grill area right to the rad....I will do a valance between the bumper and core support then if you look at the front fender side pic you see at the front fender has about a 2.5" top edge and that gapping hole is where the stock grill comes around with the side marker lights...that will be filled in which in essence will be part of the "surround"....so it should work out...then with the hood extended down a bit it should "picture frame" the grill pretty well....hope I've explained that as well as Torchie.....lol....but I do know what you guys are saying...I think I'm on the right track in how I'm thinking...:D

Attachments

• IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 110
Find a couple more hoods. You can flip one and use it to bullnose the hood, and use the other for the lower valance. They will already have matching curves.

If you can Sarge, take a pic with the camera level with one of the headlights and off to one side a bit so you get the whole front end and some of the side. Maybe some photochopping would be helpful. With the hood in place too.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention the hoods....

I have 3 actually....and I'll see what I can do with the pics....I totally screwed up a hood already....or at least it might be..haven't tried to fix the warpage yet .....got a bit hasty on the welding of those louvers...has a few waves in it....:( got po'd and put it in the storage side until I wanted to either deal with it or start again....have a second set or may cut out the others....but have plenty of hoods as spares.....but i'll see if I can get one mounted and get it outside....raining cats and dogs here right now....crap!! did i say cats???....dagnabit!!..
got a new phone with a good camera so maybe better pics....lol..:D No time till this Saturday to work on it....just too much stuff going on...won't bore ya with the details....

Ok.....need some ideas or Ideers

ok, I was able to extend the fenders to fill the gap where the side lights used to be in the wrap around stock grill....they are welded in, ground down and first bit of filler...(looks like more than it is from the pic)...I put in a front photo of a half fast mock up....as you can see was able to make new turn signal boxes as the originals were too long and hit the lower headlamp bucket...this pot metal actually is pretty easy to cut and grind on....here is my plan....I want a floating grill...I want to raise it off the "filler" panel I'll made between the top of the bumper and the core support....I want to do the dropped / bullnosed / extended hood to close the gap between the hood and the grill teeth....so the grill teeth are centered so to speak...also, I'm going to fab up a phantom grill insert that will conform to the new hood line and the grill teeth / turn signal box shapes...the boxes are made to hold the led's in the pic.... so help me out with how to do the hood and get things centered..... please..:D

Attachments

• fenders Nov 13 3.jpg
    fenders Nov 13 3.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Front grill shot.jpg
    Front grill shot.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 68
  • tooth with led box.jpg
    tooth with led box.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 47
Sorry forgot the other fender shot...

so here ya go...also a shot of a crappy drawing of what I had in mind...please be kind...I'm not an artist... ;)

Attachments

• fenders Nov 13.jpg
    fenders Nov 13.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 38
  • grill front Nov 13.jpg
    grill front Nov 13.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 48
Forgot this pic too...

LED turn park light I'm using.....pretty trick how I made it light up without the wires hooked to something..... Like David Blaine....LOL

Attachments

• led box lit up.jpg
    led box lit up.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 39
so here ya go...also a shot of a crappy drawing of what I had in mind...please be kind...I'm not an artist... ;)

Ok Sarge. here's my 2 cents. If i am understanding what you re asking......
For the bull nose on the hood I would look at using round rod(maybe 1/4 inch) to form the edge of the hood and perhaps the contour as well. A frame as it were. Cover with sheet metal..
Also I would think about making the entire bull nose piece the width of the front of the hood. Not just adding something to the center. You could taper it towards the corners and get a better flow.
For the area around the headlights I would look at using some sort of extruded metal. You can find it at Home depot I think they call it perferated. Very commonly used by cutomizers to fill areas and give some details.
Hopes this helps.
Torchie.
p.s. I'm no artist either. But I can draw flies..........

Just a few problems....

Ok Sarge. here's my 2 cents. If i am understanding what you re asking......
For the bull nose on the hood I would look at using round rod(maybe 1/4 inch) to form the edge of the hood and perhaps the contour as well. A frame as it were. Cover with sheet metal..
Also I would think about making the entire bull nose piece the width of the front of the hood. Not just adding something to the center. You could taper it towards the corners and get a better flow.
For the area around the headlights I would look at using some sort of extruded metal. You can find it at Home depot I think they call it perferated. Very commonly used by cutomizers to fill areas and give some details.
Hopes this helps.
Torchie.
p.s. I'm no artist either. But I can draw flies..........

I like the 1/4 rod thing but think it might be easier with flat stock...maybe..I have an issue on the outboard side of the hood as if I nose the entire hood it will cover the tops of the upper head light ......of course could be a good thing...like the old headlamp shield does...I'd have to look at the extruded metal...not sure what you mean....will look it up...appreciate your input....maybe I'll get someone to do a "rendering".....LOL..:D thanks Torchie...

Ok..will try to get in before work tomorrow..

Hey sarge a side profile pic with the teeth in please.

Only have the left fender in place right now...the right was new...the teeth will be behind the inner bumper edge and not really visible from the side directly.....now it is because I've not had time to do any mods on the teeth...to explain briefly as I can....teeth are supposed to sit flat with that longer bottom ahead of the tooth itself....these won't....mod to the teeth will be removal of material on the back edge to sit further back to the core support and at the bottom to keep them back from the inner bumper edge...crap..now I gotta take pics of a tooth to show what I mean....lol..

Last edited:
Sorry Sarge, I'm at a loss. I have never liked canted headlights. I do like the idea of the hood covering the top bit of the headlights. I think you should get the letters from a early 60's GMC to put in the area above the teeth.

I would rather have constructive criticism

Thats what I would say too. It's OK buddy we won't judge. Well.... at least not judge and post it up anyhow.

Glad to see you back on the board!! Seems like it has been a tick.

then nothing.....and it's ok to post it....if you hate it and have a good idea then please post it..... :D.... I'm thick skinned....I can take it.... I am open and willing to consider any and all comments.... just be kind.... :D

Sorry Sarge, I'm at a loss. I have never liked canted headlights. I do like the idea of the hood covering the top bit of the headlights. I think you should get the letters from a early 60's GMC to put in the area above the teeth.

You mean in lieu of the bullnose / extension? or part of the extension? Sam..not like you to be at a loss...

Last edited:
I like the 1/4 rod thing but think it might be easier with flat stock...maybe..I have an issue on the outboard side of the hood as if I nose the entire hood it will cover the tops of the upper head light

I was referring to your statement above. I like that look.

I also like the center area on your drawing. I think you should keep the phantom screens as simple a shape as possible.

Latest posts

Back