A Close Call !!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
A few days ago a thread was started that contained a REO Speedwagon truck in So. Dak. I got all excited looking at the pic. In my mind, I chopped, channeled and dropped the thing on the ground. The mental picture I created was soooo cool, I knew I had to find one and build it.
As luck would have it, within a few hours I found one for sale in southern Minnesota, only a hundred fifty miles away. Contact was made with the owner and a trip to see it was arranged. Then, reality set in.:( I've got a '50 GMC project scattered all over the shop. I'm helping my grandson Zach final assemble his '38 GMC. Also, I'm working for a neighbor, installing new front & rear suspension, trans crossmember, motor mounts, floor and rust repair in his '40 Ford Coupe. The biggest problem is I'm suffering from LOF (lack of funds). I need to sell something to move ahead on the truck project.:confused: And, I'll have to sell something else to build anything new.:(:
So, what's the meaning of all this rambling? First, it is nice to still get really excited about the prospect of a new project, even though I'm older than dirt.:)
Secondly, are any of you suffering from LOF too? Projects on hold? Good deals you can't afford to buy? Are you thumbing through rod parts catalogs wishing but not able to get what you really want? Maybe we need a support group for those of us in this predicament.:D

Last edited:
I think I know you you feel Bob. I still see a potential project and get all kinds of visions of how I would like to build it. I know that I'm already burried in projects (most of which belong to others) and I have a couple of cars of my own, but I'm still always on the prowl for another car to start on. I just can't help it. I'm somewhat suffering from the lack of funds thing too, especially around Christmas when I buy gifts for everyone on my list. I spend a lot of money on my rods but I'm not wealthy by any stretch. I work 60 to 70 hours a week and I sacrifice in some other areas to be able to do it. I'm thankful that I'm able to do that. But even so, the tough times are making it difficult.

Left to my own devices with some extra money and storage space, I'd probably have a couple of large warehouses stacked to the rafters with potential project cars and parts and such. Not to mention some cool automobilia like old gas pumps, signs, pedal cars, and anything else like that. I'd be dangerous. I've got a real problem. I should seek professional help.

Last edited:
I totally know what you mean. I keep buying cars getting them going and never really seeing them to the end. Then I sell it off to someone else and lose my butt on the work I have put in. I think we may need to form a support group. I think my problem is that I really dont know what I want.

well i am at the running and driving stage and no funds to get there! just take a little more, but my family needs me right now,, mom and pop have descided to heat with wood this year so i am taking this week to get it cut and bust for them, also my sister did the same, she aint got no man around to help so it falls to me,, being the only male in the family, my pop just got to far down the road to do that kinda work,, i dont mind doing it , but it cuts into my funds, cause i have to spend this week tryiong to get enuff for the whole winter for my folks and sister,, i love my family and want to help out as much as possible,, i just really would like to finish soon on the truck,, lack a few peices on the brakes , radiator, battery, fuel ,electronics, tires, little exhaust work, , and floor pans, mount the frame to the cab, minor body work and what little paint , and ill be done, sounds like alot but all stages are close just a little bit to finish,, lof it the biggest, oh yeah if ya read my tread you will also see i am doing it outside, cause i aint got no shop yet, so weather has been a factor.. but stil i tread on !!!!!:rolleyes: at least in my mind

I want to bring home every piece of old tin I see and there's alot around here. But when I see one and go OOOOH, I get that look from the wife. :rolleyes: I've been fortunate, knock on wood, more of a lack of time issue. I've currently have 1 project, 1 waiting, and 6 to maintain. I do really prefer to build them than drive them, especially driving the Muscle Cars way to much invested in them.

Left to my own devices with some extra money and storage space, I'd probably have a couple of large warehouses stcked to the rafters with potential project cars and parts and such. Not to mention some cool automobilia like old gas pumps, signs, pedal cars, and anything else like that. I'd be dangerous. I've got a real problem. I should seek professional help.

I bought a 52 GMC Army truck today. I have 12 acres, my wife is okay with the stuff I buy. But mine is an issue of time vs money I usually have one or the other, but not both.

Last edited:
well i just dont have money and im running out of time FAST damn military haha so i have pretty much both problems. i know what i want to build and i only have one build but so many ways to do it it just bogs me down.....

I'm the Village Idiot when it comes to cars, so I know how you feel. I will never finish the ones I have already and yet I keep wanting and buying more stuff. :confused: If I were smart I would start thinning out the herd, but I NEED all of them. :eek:

Must be something we were deprived of when we were little Boys. :)

Don

I'm only 22 and can relate to all this all too well... We ACTUALLY started a thread like this over at s10forums b/c our site went down for nearly a month to be redone... By the time it come back up we were like feeming crackheads...

Hi... My name is Doug... And I have a problem...

I think ANY motorhead has funds problems... We wonder where our money went then go look at our rides and realize its settin in front of us... I seriously think I have a problem when it comes to cars... The first thing I think bout when I get my paycheck is what can I do to my truck with this... Or when I see something riding down the road I think, wow, that'd look nice chop topped and body dropped on some steelies... And I do it constantly... I'm always on the lookout for stuff like Bob said, peddal cars, radio flyers, off the wall car parts... If I see an interesting hub cap on the side of the interstate I'll either come to a screeching halt or hit the offramp and go all the way back around just to pick it up... I'm always on the look for junk cars I think I could fix up and make em look cool and turn em back around for some extra cash but I run into problems with money... I need a money tree... Or a psychologist or something...

Bob, I have to fight the urge every day. When I moved to Alaska in 83, I had accumulated 25 cars in about 2 1/2 years with ideas for every one of them. I have owned literally hundreds and really only ever finnished maybe a half dozen and none of them were done where I wanted to be except for my 70 shovelhead.
I have to just bit my lip and make myself steer away from potential projects.
My currant build has turned into such a dragged out affair I am about ready to get a couple quick builds done, just engine swap and basic stuff. The 49 fleetline is definately on my radar. I had to let a good 235 drivetrain slip away this week because of funds. Which would have made it a sweet deal.

I think once we get hooked into rods, rats or Kustoms we're just flat out hooked. It is a creative vice that just keeps sucking us in.
I had an uncle who had the cartoon character "content" painted on his custom van and I could never figure out how a car guy could be content.
It seems to be when times are tough people start unloading their projects and prized posessions. But times are tough so some of us cant afford those deals:(.
I still keep looking:D

I got enought to keep me busy. But I am sure I look like Homer Simpson does when he looks at a doughnut every time I see a potential project. HHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMrrrrrrrrruuuuuussssssttttttt.

Attachments

• Homer.jpg
    Homer.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1
In the last 6 months I have just been looking at my project.I picked up a couple 9" rears and some new welding equipment.But there is just no money to buy any parts right now or anytime in the near future.I was telling my wife just the other day.That I have never been this broke in 15 years.After loosing my business to this falling economy things have really started to fall around here.Now its just looking at paycheck stubs at the end of every week hoping that I can continue to pay our mortgage.I really hope that there will be some light at the end of this tunnel real soon.Or it may just end up in disaster for us.

i guess that i would qualify for D. all of the above. Time and money im lacking because of day to day stuff such as redoing the house i bought last dec. and being a newly wed, and having a kid due in less than a month. In all honesty i know that i dont need any more projects. Im 25years old, and right now i have a '71 Jeepster, my rat project, a '66 impala thats only half finished, a '65 GTO that the house put to a halt, AND i bought my wife a '50 Chevy, so i know I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE PROJECTS. But i get these urges. You all know what im talking about.

For example; customer comes into the shop today and starts drooling over my rat. Now this is a guy who gets it. Lets just say hes been in the business for quite a while. He tells me that if i wanted i could go pick through his private collection for parts. Then he tells me that he has a '46 Cadaddy he wants $600 for. Now i know i dont need it, but have you guys ever seen a '46 cadillac? Thats when cars had style! I havent seen it yet, but without even looking at it i know i'll want it. I allready know where theres a '61 Caddy with a good engine that i could drop in this baby.

I am trying to thin some of this out. If anyone is in the market for a '65 GTO project PM me.

One thing my father taught me was to focus. I figure out exactly what I want and don't stop till it's complete. Plus, it saves on money.........:D

About six months ago, before the economy affected our area significantly, I had to slap myself in the face.

All the while since I started my project I had been living paycheck to paycheck. My bills are paid, but working on the truck and impulse buying parts that weren't necessarily compatible with my project because I can invision when and how I might use them in the future, was sucking me dry. I have a serious problem when it comes to cars and parts.

Finally, six months ago, I got my **** together and started selling off everything that wasn't truly necessary: A Cafe bike project, a random motor I bought, an intake here, a tranny there...

I consolidated everything down to my two cars, my 37 Ford and my 72 Plymouth Duster, and the parts that go with them. If I can continue to keep myself 'consolidated' I might make it :D

Oh, and if I can get my hours back up at work too...

I have had to really hold myself back from great deals i got to many non running projects that i end up trading or selling the "lof" sucks i have it to

A few days ago a thread was started that contained a REO Speedwagon truck in So. Dak. I got all excited looking at the pic. In my mind, I chopped, channeled and dropped the thing on the ground. The mental picture I created was soooo cool, I knew I had to find one and build it.
As luck would have it, within a few hours I found one for sale in southern Minnesota, only a hundred fifty miles away. Contact was made with the owner and a trip to see it was arranged. Then, reality set in.:( I've got a '50 GMC project scattered all over the shop. I'm helping my grandson Zach final assemble his '38 GMC. Also, I'm working for a neighbor, installing new front & rear suspension, trans crossmember, motor mounts, floor and rust repair in his '40 Ford Coupe. The biggest problem is I'm suffering from LOF (lack of funds). I need to sell something to move ahead on the truck project.:confused: And, I'll have to sell something else to build anything new.:(:
So, what's the meaning of all this rambling? First, it is nice to still get really excited about the prospect of a new project, even though I'm older than dirt.:)
Secondly, are any of you suffering from LOF too? Projects on hold? Good deals you can't afford to buy? Are you thumbing through rod parts catalogs wishing but not able to get what you really want? Maybe we need a support group for those of us in this predicament.:D

i dont know about the rest of you, but i sure wish i could build a project as quick and a cheap in real time as i can in my mind builds!

Latest posts

Back