A Close Call !!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
more, more, more?

I've been the same way. When I shared the shop with Pete (rustywrench) I had a LOT of room. You all know that I take in orphan engines like stray cats. Pete was my "dealer." I still have three cars that he'd dragged in, and lots of parts from others. If I'd lived closer to him, I'd have about 5 times the parts piled up and more cars, too. When I moved, I had to sell some stuff and ended up abandoning some there, too. And my new shop is full.

I quit buying the local Auto Trader and other classifieds. I do NOT stop to look at cars for sale on the side of the road (And I've seen a few that I WANTED to stop and look at!). And yet somehow I still accumulate parts and projects.

There should be a support group. Junk Collectors Anonymous, or something like that.

Oh, yeah, and LOF caused me to sell two projects so far, one of which was finished, more or less. That kinda sucked, but at least we can get some of our money back.

Rock on!

440shorty

A few days ago a thread was started that contained a REO Speedwagon truck in So. Dak. I got all excited looking at the pic. In my mind, I chopped, channeled and dropped the thing on the ground. The mental picture I created was soooo cool, I knew I had to find one and build it.
As luck would have it, within a few hours I found one for sale in southern Minnesota, only a hundred fifty miles away. Contact was made with the owner and a trip to see it was arranged. Then, reality set in.:( I've got a '50 GMC project scattered all over the shop. I'm helping my grandson Zach final assemble his '38 GMC. Also, I'm working for a neighbor, installing new front & rear suspension, trans crossmember, motor mounts, floor and rust repair in his '40 Ford Coupe. The biggest problem is I'm suffering from LOF (lack of funds). I need to sell something to move ahead on the truck project.:confused: And, I'll have to sell something else to build anything new.
So, what's the meaning of all this rambling? First, it is nice to still get really excited about the prospect of a new project, even though I'm older than dirt.
Secondly, are any of you suffering from LOF too? Projects on hold? Good deals you can't afford to buy? Are you thumbing through rod parts catalogs wishing but not able to get what you really want? Maybe we need a support group for those of us in this predicament.:D

I can totally relate to what your going through Bob! I wrote the book on LOF!!! I haven't been able to buy one single part for my truck in almost two months!!! I have the cab, frame, grill, shifter knob, headlights, a brake light, and a steering wheel along with a bunch of practically useless miscellanious crap. Now that winter is here my paycheck just doesn't go far at all. I also desperately need to buy another daily driver because we're down to one now. LOF is a major factor there too. To add to the frustration I'm having a real hard time convincing myself I need to invest in another car while my project just sits neglected out back. Talk about needing a support group? I need a 12 step program to get my mind right! Every time I bring up my project my wife gives me the look too! I HATE being practical!!! :mad:

Thunder1

Rev Tex, I decided to heat with wood this year too. Been picking up dead falls and cutting & splitting them. Since I am retired, I just look at it as a part time job. Saving money is the same as earning money.
At the steel yard yesterday, I spotted some tubing that is the right diameter and wall thickness for a roll cage for a nostalgia drag car. While I have no concrete plans, or funds to build one, I had to get the tubing, since it was in the half price rack.
I still have the REO as my desktop background. Can't get over the image I have in my mind of what it could look like. Only $650 too.
For the first time ever, I'm building a project I'm not crazy over. That is the GMC truck project. There's just not enough creativity needed in putting one together. Just a lot of work.
So, I'm building a '50 GMC truck I'm not in love with, cutting wood, working on the neighbor's '40 Ford (for money), buying steel for a future drag project, and dreaming about a REO Speedwagon.
I'm old, I'm retired. I should be down south somewhere, in a reclining lawn chair with a tall glass of ice cold Diet Pepsi.:D

Latest posts

Back