A Trip To The Junkyard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
Picture011.jpg

My friend Jim is visiting from Atlanta , GA. I took him to Windy Hills junkyard which is about 125 miles from the Twin Cities. Windy Hills used to have thousands of old cars but they have crushed many in the last few years. Here's a Chrysler coupe body we saw.

Picture010.jpg

Unfortunately the body is cut off straight down fron the rear window. It was pretty nicely done. It looks like an over long truck cab. The driver's door is missing but I spotted a door that could be adapted. I'm actually thinking of getting this thing but don't know what to do in the back of it. Truck bed? Nothing. Old accessory trunk?

Picture040.jpg

A couple deco Mopars. There is probably a hundred cars and truck from the mid 20's through the 40's. Very few are complete enough to rebuild but a person could make a roadster pickup cab out of a 30's or 40's sedan body, for instance.

Picture046.jpg

Anybody up for building a single seat rod out of this? Or maybe a drag car?

I'll post up some more pics later.

You could take him to Angus to the Glass place. I think they've still got a mess of old tin still there. May even find him a project. :D

Picture016.jpg

WHen I got my Crosley body there a couple years ago there was 5 or 6 mid 30's Internationals. They're all gone now. All the gaps between the hulks pictured were at one time (not too long ago) occupied by vehicles of early vintage.

Picture025.jpg

All the 20's and 30's stuff is very picked over. I don't recall a car or truck that could be built, too many parts missing.

Picture041.jpg

The yard is at least 160 acres. A friend of mine has an aerial photo that shows the yard completely full. And, it wasn't that long ago. There are late 40's and 50's sedans that could be saved. In another thread, Picnic at Greg's, I showed a '39 Chev truck that a young guy built. He got the cab at Windy a year or two ago. Old stuff does keep coming in so it is worth checking out every once in a while.

Picture034.jpg

I looked at these rows of wheels, this is a very small portion, and thought of each wheel as a tombstone for an old car that has been converted into Chinese steel, eventually becoming a Kia, or Preius.:(

That place is amazing... I sure wish we had something like that out here... Do you think they have a web site with photos of what they have for sale (I doubt it, but it would be nice)... if anyone knows of a similar palce in california, please post...

i do need some of those wheels any one wiling to buy em and ship em to me ill pay the shipping and cost of what it costs ya to drive out there and what not??

Great pictures Bob. I haven't been to a place like that in 30 years. Too bad places with all older stuff like that are slowly drying up.

Thunder

52bombshell, I've only been there a couple times. But, let me know what wheels you are interested in and I'll see if any are "in stock" next time I go. Shipping could be expensive though.

Back