A Trip To The Junkyard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love places like that also, but with all the local government regulations and people moving to the county from the city want them to all disappear they are on the endangered list. Snyder County Pa. had just such a place, the man's last name was Pyle. When he died he put his daughter in charge of the estate instead of his boys who new what the stuff was worth, anyway she had a crusher come in and now it's just a big open field!

30Chevy006.jpg

The road to Windy Hills runs past Scott's place. I met him this morning answering a Craigslist ad. He has stuff in his back yard.

30Chevy004.jpg

There was a fair amount of Model A sheet metal laying around. Most of it pretty rough. This was a good piece.

30Chevy003.jpg

Amazingly, no broken glass on the gauges. They are restorable.
Watters1117''s 3? Chevy Roadster Pickup struck me as a terrific build. When Don posted his roadster pickup made from a sedan, I was pushed over the edge. So, that is the direction I intend to go with this. It will be a while because I need to finish some other projects.

Last edited:
Bob....You are an animal! I really like following your builds and I'm sure this one will be as nice as the other ones...Oh yeah...by the way. Nice score!

I wish there was stuff like that around here. I was thinking about picking up another project or two..... Maybe it is time to hook the dually to the wedge and make a road trip to you!!!!

what made you choose the pieces you did? I think i would have gone with the 28-29 model a cowl and doors... I would like to build a roadster truck some day..

31ChevroletRPU.jpg

Corpo, I've questioned my choice a time or two. This pic is possibly what I'm shooting for. I didn't want it to look like a home made Model A RPU. Just wanted different lines. Might try to hang fenders on too.

I'll be going to Windy Hill in a couple weeks to look for doors I can adapt. This weekend is free drag racing at Brainerd. There was a NHRA National meet there last weekend so the track could be pretty sticky.

scan0007.jpg

Or possibly this look. This has become one of my favorite hot rods. Wish I could find more pics of it. First saw this pic here on RRR.

both are great looking rods!... I know I have seen some more pictures of that second one you posted up.. Ill look around and see if I saved them... Im jelous you have such good yards up by you.. not that I have the space to start another rod.. ( i did find a body on ebay i am doing my best not to bid on though :eek:)

Good luck i will be watching!

All this stuff is for sale on Minneapolis Craigslist. Select the Autos for sale by owner and type in Watkins. You'll see everything he is currently listing.

NewProject001-1.jpg

I'm so weak! Went to the Roadsters (car club) Swap meet Sunday and saw this very rough sedan body. Today I trekked to north central Wisconsin, loaded her up and brought her home.

Now, I need help figuring out what it is. For now we're calling is an Essex.

NewProject002.jpg

It has big quarter windows. The dash, which is inset about 4" from the upper dash rail is missing. Notice the unusual curve in the lower rear corner of the quarter window and the interesting body side beads. Looks like it could be a nice short sedan or phaeton with the back doors removed.

NewProject004.jpg

Its got a bit of a crease in the cowl and firewall. I won't be working on this project til next winter. Lots of time to determine a direction.
I might copy Bonehead and make a removable roof. Or maybe I'll widen the front doors ala zzrodder. Or possibly a roadster pickup cab.
Under my bench is a 300 cu. in. Ford 6 and a couple 292 Chevy 6's. One of those could find its way into this project.

Help me identify this rusty hulk.

Latest posts

Back