About to gut a 2004 GMC Yukon XL... Looking for guide

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRON MAIDEN

A buddy of mine who owns a tow business is letting me gut a car he's gonna be either crushing or selling to a salvage yard. Good low mile Yukon with the 5.3L Vortec (LS). Iron block.
Anyone know of a good tear down guide for salvaging LS motors out of these donor cars and trucks?
I have a 46' Harvester K3. Longbed 130"+ wheelbase.
I am planning to take the motor, trans and harness/ecu
I'm also gonna grab the driveline, front torsion bars to modify and use on my Jaguar IRS.
The gas tank/fuel system.
I'm also wondering if the entire wiring harness in the Yukon could be used. It's roughly the same length truck. Wondering if I could just strip it out of the Yukon. Label the connectors as I remove them. Then just install it in my Harvester. I know some things like power windows/locks and such wont be hooked up until I slowly upgrade the truck.
Any reason this wouldn't work?
Any advice on my gutfest?
Just looking for some more info on what to make sure and grab and advice on using the entire electrical/gauges and such.

I am answering from with the experience of 12 years as a GM tech: If you have access to the GM Service Information (all the factory schematics etc) then I would say go for it as far as reusing the factory harness. You can then have climate control, outside temp on your mirror, cruise, keyless entry, memory seats etc. But believe me when I say there is 11 miles of wiring in there. If you don't have access to it you will want to throw yourself off a bridge 1/2 way through it.

As for gutting the Yukon here is what you need for the drive train swap:
Engine, trans, drive shaft etc
engine wiring harness (more than 1/2 of the existing wires will by tossed)
TAC module (for the throttle pedal. up by the brake booster)
throttle pedal
PCM
underhood fuse box (can reuse but it is bulky. can easily be tossed)
don't bother with the fuel tank / sending unit unless you know it will fit in your chassis
unless you are going to tackle the etire body harness swap then don't bother with the steering column, instrument cluster, radio etc.
torsion bars will be way to stiff for a rear spring
strip it of all of the fuses and relays

Hope that helps

Latest posts

Back