Affordable?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdubya

Picked up a current issue of a popular "rodder" magazine. They had an article on building an affordable model A. Even showed a couple of examples of an affordable fixer upper. One was $29,000 the other $25,000
I'm obviously not the target readership for this mag, because to me, $29,000 and affordable don't belong in the same sentence.
Man, I love this sight. Thanks for keeping it real fellas.

P.S. But on a positive note they did have some lovely billet items advertised.

I want to see a magazine for the $3000 spread out over a few years builders :)

"P.S. But on a positive note they did have some lovely billet items advertised."(quote)

I had a few thousand in the budget for some lovely billet items but decided against it :)

I guess that's affordable compared to others. Speedway sells a complete 32 roadster kit for $50,000. You can have any color you like as long as it is Posies Red.

I wonder how many of those they sell.

I want to see a magazine for the $3000 spread out over a few years builders :)

They only last one issue because everyone is too cheap to buy 'em.

This Months Issue of Cheap Azz Rat Rodder:
Ten Day Build for a 10 Dollar Part
My Cluttered Garage Picture Spread
7 Kinds of Rust
Scrap Haulers - Friend or Foe?
What the Heck is This?!?
Everything is a Hammer
Readers Unfinished Builds
How To - 10 Tricks to Getting Junk Past Your Wife

7 Kinds of Rust
What the Heck is This?!?
Everything is a Hammer

My barn could be the feature of MY cluttered garage picture spread.

7 Kinds of Rust
What the Heck is This?!?
Everything is a Hammer

That's awesome. :D

samfear the editor-in-chief.....[cl[cl

29k is not much for people who make 6-digit incomes and only look at cars as "investments":rolleyes:

i wanna do a tech article or 2 for samfear's new mag

"special body and paint issue"

* rust-out in that floor board-how much can i have before i lose my passenger

* 3 lb shop hammers-do you need anything smaller?

* picking the proper rattle can -is $2 too much to pay for one?

*is there any other color i can paint my wheels besides red?

man i could have alot of fun with this stuff:p[ddev

The last magazine that had real tech articles (not just installs of advertiser's products) was Rodder's Digest while they were published independently. It was a great magazine.

I don't know if any of you remember Hot Rod Mechanix magazine, published by Tex Smith. Tex was great about building low buck but cool cars. The magazine featured lots of how to's that the average guy could relate to, and it lasted for quite some time, but finally folded. It merged for a while with Rod and Custom magazine, and I have a few issues that were 1/2 R & C and 1/2 Hot Rod Mechanix. It never worked out though and the merger ended after a few months, I think.

Tex actually won an Americas Most Beautiful Roadster award one year for a car called the XR 6, a car he built himself, using a VW front suspension and a slant 6 engine.

Don

$29k for a budget build? I would have to live in it, because I paid 6k more for a house and a shop. 2.9k would be more than I could afford. .29k is more like it and that about once every 2 years.

Magazines

:cool:All three of the biggest magazines are owned by the same company. One copies the other and all three are blaming the internet Forums for their loss of sales,Duh,this is 2010 get with the program,print something worth reading,not 95% ads trying to sell China repop parts and then the other 5% highlighting fiberglass cars that are just a glorified kit car.:cool:

samfear the editor-in-chief.....[cl[cl

29k is not much for people who make 6-digit incomes and only look at cars as "investments":rolleyes:

i wanna do a tech article or 2 for samfear's new mag

"special body and paint issue"

* rust-out in that floor board-how much can i have before i lose my passenger

* 3 lb shop hammers-do you need anything smaller?

* picking the proper rattle can -is $2 too much to pay for one?

*is there any other color i can paint my wheels besides red?

man i could have alot of fun with this stuff:p[ddev

How to fix those rusted out floorboards with road signs.

I don't know if any of you remember Hot Rod Mechanix magazine, published by Tex Smith. Tex was great about building low buck but cool cars. The magazine featured lots of how to's that the average guy could relate to...

I really liked that magazine. I always loved Tex Smith's articles. And his sense of humor. Anyone remember his "Walter P. Chrysler" build? His articles were always all about actually building or modifying a part rather than dialing 1-800 BUILD A STREET ROD.

I really liked that magazine. I always loved Tex Smith's articles. And his sense of humor. Anyone remember his "Walter P. Chrysler" build? His articles were always all about actually building or modifying a part rather than dialing 1-800 BUILD A STREET ROD.

Anymore, the 'buy it builders' are the only ones that have money to spend on a car rag.

Oh, and I actually bought our house for less than $29,000!

Latest posts

Back