Affordable?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole discussion got me to wondering how much (as a percentage of our incomes) we throw at our projects. I budget $1,500 or about 1.25%/yr of our income for all 3 of my vehicles (together).

My truck or my Olds will probably be around 5% (each) of our income by the time I'm done with either.

I usually spend $4-$6K per year on my playing with cars, junk collecting, building and driving-- usually a large percentage of thats tools and consumables (gas metal etc.)-- this year I've spent appx $4K which is a little lower than normal. When I was racing I'd spend $10K or better each year.

I'm kinda stocking up on tools and parts to try and retire in a couple years with enough to keep me busy on a fixed income till I quit this.

I do swap and trade a little, but I try real hard to keep this a 'not for profit' deal. It keeps things light--easy going . 'For profit' tends to get a little sharky--harshes the mellow:p. I've lost some great hobbies for Money--such a waste.

I live debt free and I don't do anything but cars and shop stuff. No hunting/fishing or booze or smoke or women, and the wife always knows where I'm at. It blends into a lifestyle and the $ spent is the cost of being who you are. So it works out well.

PA41

I spend probably $10K-$20K+ a year. But, I also make an extra $10k-20k a year selling cars and parts on the side. When I was racing back in the 80s and 90s I was spending $5k-10K plus sponser's money per year.

I spend $5,000-$8,000 per build. And I build one a year. Now that the economy is tight, I sell a car in order to pay for building the next one. So really I'm at close to zero out of pocket a year.

When I saw the "affordable" tag on that 50's Chevy magazine build, my first reaction was that's a pretty expensive project. However, in this day of 6 figure hot rods it is pretty reasonable. Price escalates rapidly if a desireable body is acquired (as opposed to an abandoned truck cab), more aftermarket parts are used, and professional shop services are contracted. RRR is inhabited by a lot of self sufficient builders who can make a rat rod out of junkyard parts and their own inginuity. That saves lots of greenbacks and provides lots of miles, and smiles per mile.

I've always figured that the money I save by not hiring bodywork, paint and interior will finance at least two more builds.

Down to poverty level income now so anything hobby related requires a sacrifice. Not being married makes this possible. Anything i build is not marketable so there is no income generated from it. I just had a brainstorm!
I'll put out donation bins on the corners.... Donate Your Unwanted Car Parts To Support Disadvantaged Rat Rodders. :D

Wow i really have to find one of these 30,000.00 houses.I paid 200,000 for mine about 7 yeras ago and if i wanted to replace it now it would cost me 350,000.I have about 1500.00 in my 26 t sedan build and i think i will be into it for 10,000 before it's done.Thats doing most of the work myself,bartering,selling off other parts,etc.For instance i bought a 67 t-bird with a rusted out body and frame but a good running 390,c-6 trans for 300.00.Pulled the engine,tranny and 9 inch rear end.Sold off a bunch of interior,trim,lights,switches,etc. and made 1000.00 on ebay.Think i got 100.00 for the scrap metal,about enought to pay for the gas to haul it to the wreckers.My 54 pontiac i traded off my 94 jimmy 4x4 toy that i had about 4000.00 into.I got my 54 pontiac 4 door and a second 54 pontiac sedan delivery plus some cash in trade.I probably have another 1000.00 in the four door and it's 90% roadworthy at this point.Now i've bought another 4 door and a second delivery for 800.00.Probably have 10,000 into the delivery restoration before it's done.Now if my lottery investments pay off i'll be down at barett jackson buying toys but until then it depands on how much is coming in the door month to month and how much i can sneek past the wifey.

Latest posts

Back