And now for something completely different.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pics today but I got my shifter done, exhaust on, and brake lines hooked up, along with having the seats finished this weekend. I'm hoping for a short road test next weekend. My wife got me a garage fan for Fathers day; it sure made it easier to work out there. We've had 95+ degrees for over a week with no signs of letting up in the near future.

well if you dont like the heat move to alaska were at a steady 55 65 deg.:cool:

well if you dont like the heat move to alaska were at a steady 55 65 deg.:cool:

Man, if my kids and grandkids weren't here, Id do it in a minute! I always thought Alaska was one of the most beautiful places on the planet.
Today should be test drive day; here's a shot of the cam break in going on as we speak! Over the last weel I've been getting brakes, exhaust, plus a bunch of little details lined out. I'll let you know how it goes!

Attachments

• IMG_2634.jpg
    IMG_2634.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2633.jpg
    IMG_2633.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 37
Well, no burnouts yet; I want to get some time on the engine before we attempt it. Still a long way to go to be finished but I'm pretty happy so far. Funds are getting low, too. But there's plenty to do that wont cost a bundle. I still have to paint the doors, hood, bumpers, inside panels, and rebuild the roll up rear door plus get all the glass back in but I'm happy where its at after only about 8 months of work.

Over the last few days I got the head/tail/brake/signal lights all working, built a battery hold down, did some more adjustments on the brakes and took a few more spins down the road. It's definately getting better. I pulled it out and cleaned it up after I got home from work today, it's gotten really dusty.

Attachments

• IMG_2636.jpg
    IMG_2636.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2638.jpg
    IMG_2638.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2639.jpg
    IMG_2639.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2640.jpg
    IMG_2640.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 25
Next I guess well start on the doors and bumpers. I've got a friend working on the hood.

Attachments

• IMG_2641.jpg
    IMG_2641.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2642.jpg
    IMG_2642.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2643.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 21
I've got some carb issues to work out but as soon as I do, we'll get that burnout video going, Postal.
I got my rails for the rollup rear door cleaned up and put back on, along with the top rear panel they attach to. I also got a start on the doors; welded up some holes where some padlock hasps had been, straightened a few dings, and getting them ready for primer. Tomorrow, I hope.

Attachments

• IMG_2645.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2647.jpg
    IMG_2647.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2646.jpg
    IMG_2646.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 24
My friend got the hood straight for me and I've been working on the doors and inside panels. I got some of them primered this morning. Gotta stop for today, my oldest daughter is moving into her first apartment so I've got to go load up.

Attachments

• icecreamtrk 001.jpg
    icecreamtrk 001.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 18
  • icecreamtrk 002.jpg
    icecreamtrk 002.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 17
  • icecreamtrk 003.jpg
    icecreamtrk 003.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 15
More primer; I'm just about done with the inside panels. I hope to get everything primered by next weekend except for the rear roll up door and start getting the painting finished up. It's been so hot here it almost kills you to work outside but today was a little better, only got up to 95.

Attachments

• IMG_2652.jpg
    IMG_2652.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2654.jpg
    IMG_2654.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 8
Lots of surface area on your baby! You must have to use some slow thinner in that heat. Sure is looking good and coming along nicely.

Thanks, Bob. It's coming along, but I'm looking forward to the end. I'd like to drive it before summers done! I used a 1:1 epoxy primer, it worked out OK in the heat as long as I didnt leave any in the gun between 30 minute coats.

I was off today so I got some really tedious jobs done. The back bumper and several 1" metal angles and strips that hold in the window glass and the wiring harness to the roof all had several coats of paint. I sat in the chair all morning with a 2" grinder and a box of paint stripper discs and got them all cleaned up and primered on the front, black Rustoleum on the back. I painted the inside of the hood black. The front bumper got dropped at a local shop to see if they could get the kink out of one end. The motor had a miss under a load so after messing with carb adjustments for a while I decided to put a better coil and ignition module in my $59.95 Ebay HEI distibutor. Much better now; I guess the Chinese company that built it used some bottom of the barrel ignition parts.

Attachments

• IMG_2655.jpg
    IMG_2655.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2656.jpg
    IMG_2656.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2657.jpg
    IMG_2657.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back