Another fenderless 53

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the pedal assembly bolted in thought I would share a few pics.

53rattake2013.jpg

Heres the master cylinder

53rattake2015.jpg

And finally the seat frame I repaired and painted. The seat covers are coming along and I'll try to get some pics of that this weekend.

53rattake2016.jpg

I hope to get the cab off this weekend and start finihing the frame

The seat is coming along nicely. My neighbor Rob is doing the work for me. Here is what he has so far.

53rattake2018.jpg

He used the remains of an old mattress for the foam padding

53rattake2019.jpg

We are trying to think of some sort of graphic to put on the back.

53rattake2017.jpg

Here's a before and after shot of the header tubes after TIG welding. I let these set for several months and they got a little too rusty for the TIG. I ran them thru the bead blast cabinet. Hope it helps.

53rattake2020.jpg

I got the left header put together other than the exhaust system outlet.

53rattake2022.jpg

Also while I was at it I trimmed off the lip that the fender used to bolt to. I made it transition to the hood. I think it looks much better than before.

53rattake2023.jpg

The right side presents much more of a problem with the crease and the rust.

53rattake2024.jpg

That's where I'm at so far.

After beating,banging and pulling I decided to cut the whole crease area out and make a patch panel. It was rusty as crap anyhow.

53rattake2029.jpg

In had to cut the inner panel out also as it was all ate up. I'll need to go score some sheet metal to make a patch with tomorrow. I had enough to start patching the floor back together.

53rattake2030.jpg

The seat is coming along well also.

53rattake2025.jpg

I'm pretty tired now.

If you back up a couple photos you can get a before and after shot of the kick panel. I thought this turned out pretty good considering sheet metal is not really my thing.

53rattake2032.jpg

Got some more welding to do here but it's looking better than the cancerous mess it was.

53rattake2034.jpg

I have one more panel to fabricate then it's back to the other side.

Awesome

Awesome build. KEEP the pics coming. Will be picking up my own truck to build soon as the owner gets a few trees cut so can get it out of the woods. It's surrounded by trees ranging from 2" to 6" in diameter. No trees growing up thru it though.

Yes I made my own patch panels. Have you seen the price of store bought panels? I have $35.00 in sheet metal. A freind of mine has a bead roller that I used. I'll need to make one for the right side also so I saved some cash.

Yes I made my own patch panels. Have you seen the price of store bought panels? I have $35.00 in sheet metal. A freind of mine has a bead roller that I used. I'll need to make one for the right side also so I saved some cash.

defiantly a better way to go. :D

Heres my seat finished.Talk about a diamond in a goats butt! I'll need to put it up until I get done or it will get dirty.

53rattake2035.jpg

To anybody out the that has ever built their own headers, it's a ton of hard work but worth it when they ask where you got them at.

53rattake2041.jpg

Grind and grind some more! Heres the little star thingy inside the collector

53rattake2042.jpg

Almost done here

53rattake2047.jpg

See you later I'm heading to Arkansas in the AM

I went to Arkansas today. I took a few shots of 2 old Chevy trucks that are buried several inches or feet in the ground down in a holler. One is a 54 I think and the other is a 56? long bed.

53rattake2051.jpg

My nephew cut the front off the 54 and made a smoker out of it.

53rattake2050.jpg

53rattake2055.jpg

53rattake2063.jpg

There are parts from the 54 on my truck. Not much left but I like to visit these old trucks as they slowly return to the earth. I wonder if the fools that pushed them down there realized what they might be worth to someone someday?

very nice build tw. i like how you did allot of things, but you bumbed me out. i had a whole 78 caprice and thought about using the 4 link off of it. but i didnt and scraped the car. now i wish i had them after looking at yours, lol.

also the headers are sweeeeeeet.

keep it coming

The factory 4 link did work out slick. I added the adjustable upper arms but It wasn't really necessary. I got a few more things done today before I ran out of argon and was not able to weld anymore. I started on the hook ups for the exhaust system. I plan on running 3' all the way to the back and exit out the cab corners like I did on my 56. I'm going to make my own mufflers or baffles I should say. This is something my dad used to do come to think of it.

53rattake2066.jpg

Heres one about 1/2 welded on.

53rattake2067.jpg

I made the panel for the fender area yesterday while I listened to KSU bumble their way to a ugly win.

53rattake2069.jpg

I'm going to add a outside roll bar in the back. There will be another cross bar below the window and 2 that extend to the back of the frame when I get though.

53rattake2036-1.jpg

I guess I'll grab another bottle of c02/argon after work tomorrow. I'm about to go broke keeping the welding supply's replenished. Later.

I worked on the roll bar today. I had to build some mounts from 2x3 tubing. While I had the bed off I finally added some fish plates to the frame.

53rattake2074.jpg

I'll need to take the bed off again to weld the roll bar into place. I intend to add some 1 1/4 bars from the middle cross brace back to rear off the chassis.

53rattake2078.jpg

Since 14" tires are so hard to find I bought some new ones from Discount tires that were being sold at a good price. I think they look nice on here.

53rattake2071.jpg

I just like this shot, just wish I had some suitable head lights.

53rattake2070.jpg

later

That thing looks so good without lights, maybe you could use some very small halogen lights and make them removable. Only install them when you have to. I'm not sure how you're local law enforcement would look at this but its a thought.

I opened a can of worms here today. After spending some time filling holes I decided it was time to tackle the windshield frame and inner doubler. Years of water leaking threw the clearance light hole, a good dose of rat wang and debris left it in pretty sorry shape.

53rattake7002.jpg

And the inner doubler

53rattake7003.jpg

I was lucky that a friend had given me this roof with the big hole in it. all I had to do was remove the doubler and cut the lip off of it.

53rattake7001.jpg

Here's the lip

53rattake7004.jpg

I cut the bad area out

53rattake7006.jpg

Working on welding it all back together

53rattake7007.jpg

53rattake7008.jpg

I'll need to put a respirator on and melt some of the lead out. later

Latest posts

Back