Auto darkening helmets

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is sweet. I will have one eventually. My dad and I have been talking about one for years, but for the last few years we have backed off on building cars. We have just been working on farm equipment so the hot wrench works just fine( no detail required). But now that I am starting work work on vehicles again I can start to rebuild my arsenal of tools.:D

Helmets are good, but not for $350 plus.
If you are looking for a good home project helmet which will only be used here and there, don't take this as a slap to all of you, but I have found the $50 helmet from Harbor Freight has been the best inexpensive tool for the money. The thing is solar powered and does the job well for what I use it for.

Maximo

new welding helmet

[/ATTACH]:d:d helmet2.jpg

1225081116[1].jpg

Thanks bonehead, I got to use it yesterday my dad broke the hitch off of his wood splitter. I used it to extend the the receiver on the splitter. It works great. Man I should have bought one years ago. lol

Oh yeah I couldn't resist the cool graphics, besides I couldn't get that one in flat black and I really wanted the Elite.

Helmets are good, but not for $350 plus.
If you are looking for a good home project helmet which will only be used here and there, don't take this as a slap to all of you, but I have found the $50 helmet from Harbor Freight has been the best inexpensive tool for the money. The thing is solar powered and does the job well for what I use it for.

Maximo

Do you really want to trust a $50 chineese made helmet? I don't! But if it works for you that's your choice.

yes i do. Ive worked as a fabricator for years with jackson and miller helmets, I burnt my eyes pretty good one day with one of them after tig welding for 8 or 9 hrs straight. I have a cheapo harbor freight helmet in my girlfriends garage for fooling around building choppers and doing body work. I haven't had a problem with it at all. Worst case scenario you buy one and dont like it, then u let your friends use it while holding stuff in place while you weld.

If you are worried about the auto darkening helmets, then try an Accustrike. I am about to purchase one to replace the cheap HF auto, which burns my eyes. The Accustrike is about $110. Check out there web site www.accustrike.com . It is an amazing helmet. Has anyone here had the experience with one? Let me here from you. Thanks

I am curious about the Lincoln Vista helmets. The Vista 1000 is about $162 at Weldingmart.com and the Vista 2000 is about $190. 0.1 millisecond darkening time. Has 4 sensors, 5 amp Tig and you can grind with it I believe.... V1000 has a smaller lense.

Anybody have one?? I am curious about the solar charge - does it require that you put it under a light or something before you use it??? That would suck - I have a regular Lincoln auto-dark and I can never just go out and weld because you have to charge the freaking thing....

Any comments on that?? Do you have to do that w/ the Vista or a Miller hat ??

What's your opinion on best hat for the $$ ??

Last edited:
i love miller i have the old miller elite right now, goin on 3 years with everyday welding) im a welder haha...but im about to buy the new one with the different settings its just a quality hood (miller)

Hey guys it has been a while since I have logged on I have been a little busy good thing is that I have had a chance to break in the new helmet and it is a life saver. My welds are alot cleaner since I never have to take my eye off where I am welding. It was worth every penny.lol

Hey guys it has been a while since I have logged on I have been a little busy good thing is that I have had a chance to break in the new helmet and it is a life saver. My welds are alot cleaner since I never have to take my eye off where I am welding. It was worth every penny.lol

Which one did you get? I am curious about the Lincoln Vista or an Accustrike (not AD, but different design).

Latest posts

Back