Best and worst state for hot rods and bikes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nebraska has VIN inspection on out of state vehicles
No safety or emissions testing

We used to

Until a person who had just had their car inspected got in a wreck when the brakes failed.
They Sued
The said in court their brakes should not have failed because the inspection declared them safe.
They won the lawsuit and with the backing of the used car industry and several other interests they got the legislature to repeal the inspection mandate so the state would not incur further liability

One of the big reasons I left Pennsylvania (besides snow) was that they had such overly restrictive motor vehicle laws. You literally could not legally make any modification to your car at all. However, I see now that they have finally loosened up a little and don't require fenders or hoods any more if you get street rod plates.

They also had very strict inspections, but if you knew the guy at the inspection station and slipped him a few bucks he would slap a sticker on it for you.

Don

I would love to get out of calif, I liked living in Bellingham Wa (10yrs) it was great. but moving at my age its not going to happen......But Guys and Gals....enjoy your freedoms and fight for them and know your envied by this old man.:)

You notice Florida is missing from most of those lists. We have it great down here...........Y'all come on down !!!!!!! :D:D Being able to drive our cars pretty much 365 days also helps, in fact, I'm taking mine out today and it is December 2nd. :D

Don

Since Mr. Crown volunteered for all the chores, I can come down and just lounge around right???:D

NH has emissions only on cars 1996 and up. On the ones 1995 down it is only a visual inspection of the cat, air pump and PCV valve. Bill of sale and a VIN verification card for registration on stuff 15 years old and older. VIN card can be done by cops or safety inspection licensed person. MA has a form that you can fill out and get a title if you bought the car from a NH resident and have the current registration in had from them. [cl

In montana three years ago I needed a inspection on a bill of sale. They came out to my place and were knowledgeable and help full. After they left three weeks later I got a clean title in the mail.

In montana three years ago I needed a inspection on a bill of sale. They came out to my place and were knowledgeable and help full. After they left three weeks later I got a clean title in the mail.

Sounds like they are pretty friendly in Montana staying on with you for 3 weeks and all :p

Missouri is a pain in the keester to get a vehicle registered without a title.
Got to have a title, bill of sale (for a builder), plus inspection and proof of insurance (proof of insurance is a good thing) for a driver.
If it's an out of state vehicle ? plus (id od)vin id and an odometer verification, no matter the year of manufacture.
The title part, is the real killer

Maryland

In Maryland you can title & register a vehicle as either "Historic" or "Street Rod". Both have little or no title search, no inspection and really cheap registration & no emissions testing. [cl

Getting a title here is a bit of an arduous process. And, we have a long winter. But summers are generally mild and the sun sets at 10:00pm.
We have Back to the 50's with 13,000 cars. There's at least a half dozen shows every weekend. Rusty tin can still be found.
The cops aren't interested in us, just the ricers and the 200mph bikes.

This year there will be a Billetproof a mile from my house. Should be able to get to that one.

Lots of nice state and county highways to cruise, but watch out for deer.

When I built my 1962 Cushman from a box of parts several years ago all Georgia required was a bill of sale, even got a personalized plate for an additional $25.

I figure this is a good indicator of which state are easiest to deal with. The other would be title and registration laws.

No Inspections:
Alaska
Arkansas
Iowa
Kentucky
Michigan
Minnesota
Montana
North Dakota
South Carolina
South Dakota

VIN Inspection on out of state vehicles:
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Kansas
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Washington
Wyoming

Safety Inspection on Out of State Vehicles:
Nebraska

Safety Inspection Before sale:
Alabama
Maryland

Safety Inspections:
Delaware
District of Columbia
Louisiana
Maine
Massachusetts
Mississippi
Missouri
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Texas
Utah
Virginia
West Virginia

Emission Inspections:
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Georgia
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Louisiana
Maryland
Massachusetts
Missouri
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Rhode Island
Tennessee
Texas
Utah

Indiana has a vin inspection on out of state titles. And Lake county has emission testing
Lungs

Illinois is real unpleasant if you dont have a clean and clear title. They have procedures in place for constructed vehicles but the hoops to jump through are many.:mad:

Some do....but not all.

Some parts of Tennessee have inspections, some counties don't. The problem now is if you apply for a builders title, it comes back titled in the current year. A friend applied for a builders title on a 23 Mack ratrod. It came back as a 2011 Mack. He said it didn't matter to him. Sure would matter to me!!!!:(

I live bout 20 miles from Pigeon Forge....talk about car shows! Wouldn't want to live anywhere else.:D

Lynn

Latest posts

Back