Building DYI windshield frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

I haven't worked on this speedster in awhile but now it's time to finish it up. It really needs a split V windshield, like a Duval type. The body is my design, so there isn't an off-the-shelf frame that will fit it.

Any ideas of what to use? I was thinking small C channel, maybe 1/4"?

Other plans are to brush the aluminum & seal it, racing numbers and a better seat.

Attachments

• VR1.jpg
    VR1.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 95
  • VR2.jpg
    VR2.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 61
Maybe C-channel. How about stainless 1/2-3/4" tube with a slot cut in it? It could be bent to whatever curve you need.

Im about to tackle this on my cart build - thinking of using 1/2" box tubing with one side cut off. The glass is about 1/4" thick so that leaves about 1/16" on each side of the glass, fill that with window urethane or black silicone.. I just need to come up with a simple way to attach the frame to the posts ..[S

This is what I mean - looks like round tube with a gap cut for the glass.

Attachments

• IMGP6582sml.JPG
    IMGP6582sml.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 74
I found an old windshield frame for $1 at a swap meet. Chopped 2 1/2 inches and then notched and Veed it. But I did do that before I built the top of the cowl so it was all designed together.

Wow - that stuff is perfect! Thanks for the great ideas fellas. I was considering buying a model T frame and then modifying it.

WB3 - windshield looks great, kinda what I'm looking to build

The biggest issue with getting it to look right is a Duval style windshield is laid back on an angle. The bottom of the frame sits flush on the cowl. So if you use round tube or square tube laid back then you get a gap at the bottom where it meets the cowl in the front. You could use the square tube to hold the glass and then add a flat piece to the front to mate the frame to the cowl giving it a nice finished look. Also the Duval style frames bolted down through the cowl under the frame. Being a V shape and laid back there is no need for posts at all as the frame supports itself. [P

Well I finally got around to building this windscreen. Ended up using 1/2" square tube with one side cut out to form a C channel. Used 1/4" plexi and rubber window seals that fit pretty well with some modifications.

I actually made tops to the frames but I think it looks better without.

Attachments

• photo-1 (2).JPG
    photo-1 (2).JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 65
  • photo-2 (2).JPG
    photo-2 (2).JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 81
  • photo-3 (2).JPG
    photo-3 (2).JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 64
  • photo-4 (2).JPG
    photo-4 (2).JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 63
  • photo-5 (2).JPG
    photo-5 (2).JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 61
Yep. Looks great! How well do you think the plexi will hold up? Doesn't look like it'll be too bad to replace if needed. Any thought about curving the top a little?

Thanks guys.

I don't think the plexi would hold up well at all actually. But I rarely drive this and it stays out of the elements. I'll eventually pop out the plexi and have some windshield glass cut in the same shape.

Rounding the tops might look cool too...hmmm [S

Right here in H-town many moons ago when the MGTD VW based kit cars came out a guy built one & took this rich guys' daughter on a cruise one night & he decided to go really fast. When they hit about 100... the windshield came loose & decapitated them. Her father sued the company that made the kits & put them outta biz! Always think about that when I see these type of windshields! :eek:

BoB

i got to make a windshield for my roadster too, but i can't make up my mind as to what i want. i like what you did, and i think it looks good on your car, good job.

Right here in H-town many moons ago when the MGTD VW based kit cars came out a guy built one & took this rich guys' daughter on a cruise one night & he decided to go really fast. When they hit about 100... the windshield came loose & decapitated them. Her father sued the company that made the kits & put them outta biz! Always think about that when I see these type of windshields! :eek:

BoB

Man! Thanks for the downer! Just kidding, something to think about. Maybe I need to put the frame tops on, to keep the panes from flying out.

I only putt around the neighborhood at 40 but it sure would suck if one of those came out and hit me in the face.

Latest posts

Back