CA Plates

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepyjake

Just getting back after more than a few years. I picked up a couple of 41 CA matching plates and am going to try and use the #'s and get personalized new plates from the DMV. Anyways, I want to paint the raised #'s yellow and the background black. My question is has anyone tried to refurbish old plates. What kind of paint should I use, I was thinking of using engine block paint. Should I paint the raised #'s first or the background first? Thinking of using pin striping tape to mask with. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thought I would add a pic of my truck, some of the old timers might remember me.

Attachments

• 2010 California Hot Rod Reunion (CHRR) My truck off of Byrons Gasser Madness site..jpg
    2010 California Hot Rod Reunion (CHRR) My truck off of Byrons Gasser Madness site..jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 30
There are a lot of other threads on this, and many different methods to use. Some (most?) states and provinces consider even restoring a plate a felony, so if you do it make sure it's not noticable.

Just getting back after more than a few years. I picked up a couple of 41 CA matching plates and am going to try and use the #'s and get personalized new plates from the DMV. Anyways, I want to paint the raised #'s yellow and the background black. My question is has anyone tried to refurbish old plates. What kind of paint should I use, I was thinking of using engine block paint. Should I paint the raised #'s first or the background first? Thinking of using pin striping tape to mask with. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thought I would add a pic of my truck, some of the old timers might remember me.
Are they a good decent legible matched set? If they are why don't you use the YOM program to run them? It's not that hard to do, I have done it on two vehicles so far.

Regarding painting them, my friend has done it by first painting the black in automotive two stage paint, then had a pinstriping master we know do the letters and numbers.

Me, I think it more appropriate to run them original and with some age, unless they are so beat DMV won't allow them. I just run the tags right on the plate.

Confused? Fake black plates? Really not sure how the cops will like that, or if they'll just won't care. Did CA ever start re-issuing black plates or did they stop at yellow?

Ask Willowbilly3 - he collects plates and might know refurbishing secrets.

I'm guessing originally, the background was painted and then the raised letters were roller painted.

I don't know of any state (which allows YOM) that won't let you run "restored" plates for YOM. Maybe some but if they are done right, just don't tell them because they shouldn't be able to tell them from unissued. But painting plates a different color than they started as isn't going to fly anywhere IMHO. Also remember most (all?) recent plates are reflective and even the professional restorers don't do reflective plates.
I have done a few with hand lettering but I'm too shakey. I have a friend who does that for me and he gets them perfect.. If a plate is real straight, I have laid down the letter/boarder color first, then paint on the background color, then carefully sand down with 400 on a hard block until the letter color just starts to show and finish with some finer grit and clear coat when done. I usually just use rattle can and put lots of coats on and for display only, not sure how well the rattle can paint would hold up to rock chips and general wear. But then original plates don't always hold up that good either. I had a set of 69 Texas plates I was running YOM on a daily driver and after 3 years the front one looked like hell. They were unissued when I started.

Confused? Fake black plates? Really not sure how the cops will like that, or if they'll just won't care. Did CA ever start re-issuing black plates or did they stop at yellow?

Ask Willowbilly3 - he collects plates and might know refurbishing secrets.

I'm guessing originally, the background was painted and then the raised letters were roller painted.
I believe California hasn't started re-issuing any plates yet, but I do know when they do, they will be flat, won't have the raised lettering that the old plates had.

I know some guys in town running current plates painted to look like old plates on their cars. So far, I haven't heard that anyone has had issues with them. At least they haven't been stopped for just the plates.

But who knows what the popo would do if they happened to stop you for something else......

As of the first of this year Calif DMV began offering/reissuing vintage 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's plates (provided they got enough applicants).

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/10/04/dmv-to-offer-vintage-license-plates/

Also, here's a pic of the restored '69 plate on my Dart. I met some guy at a swap meet who restored plates. He was based out of Pennsylvania. Took him a couple of weeks but it came out perfect! It cost $35, but that was 15 years ago! I've since lost all his contact info so basically, I'm of no help!

I believe California hasn't started re-issuing any plates yet, but I do know when they do, they will be flat, won't have the raised lettering that the old plates had.

I know some guys in town running current plates painted to look like old plates on their cars. So far, I haven't heard that anyone has had issues with them. At least they haven't been stopped for just the plates.

But who knows what the popo would do if they happened to stop you for something else......

I'm pretty sure sure if you asked the DMV about repainting a currant plate a different color, what the answer would be. Just because someone else is getting away with it wouldn't be good enough for me personally.

CA plates

Thanx for all the responses. The way I got the idea was a friend with a restored 41 found a clean set of plates and used those numbers when he got personalized plates. He doesn't use the new ones, just put the old ones on his truck. I'm just tired of having white plates on the back of my rusty truck! The plates I have are a little rough and painted solid black, like someone was going to restore them. I definitely don't want new, restored looking plates. I guess I'll do a little tinkering in the garage. I want them done in time for the March Meet out here in Bakersfield.
Again, thanks for all the helpful responses!

Is the yellow still under the black? You might be able to sand or strip the black off the #s.

Keep in mind the rest of the states have the plates transfer with the owner, not the car. So what you can get away with in Cali is likely gonna be different.

Thanx for all the responses. The way I got the idea was a friend with a restored 41 found a clean set of plates and used those numbers when he got personalized plates. He doesn't use the new ones, just put the old ones on his truck. I'm just tired of having white plates on the back of my rusty truck! The plates I have are a little rough and painted solid black, like someone was going to restore them. I definitely don't want new, restored looking plates. I guess I'll do a little tinkering in the garage. I want them done in time for the March Meet out here in Bakersfield.
Again, thanks for all the helpful responses!

From what I was told, DMV may catch or not allow the use of numbers like that as personalized plates now. But the YOM method worked like a charm for me.

Latest posts

Back