Cab removal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am lucky enough to own a skid steer that does all my heavy lifting, but I have also taken bodies off frames using jacks and blocks. A cherry picker will also lift a cab, but you may have to take the tires off the truck to get it low enough to lift.

what kind of cab is it.

My 35 and 39 Ford cabs. I would strip the cab out and take the doors off drop the frame down to the grown . Being that they had a wooden floor I would get inside the cab grab the top of both door opening and walk it off the frame.

My 40 and 48 cabs I put eye bolt in the two front mount holes and the rear mount holes on the 40 and the rear seat holes on the 48. open the door slide the engine left in and attach straps from the eye bolt to the left hook and left it and slide it off the side of the frame. You will have to balance it.

Cab lift off tool

I used two 8' 4X4's paralel to each other with 2X4's holding them together. Here is pictures. I then put this through the side windows and hook a chain to each end over the top of the cab. I then used a chain house connected to my rafters to lift the cab. Simple and cheap.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2510.jpg
    IMG_2510.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg