Cars in fields..?!?!?!? WTH GIVES..??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What really ticks me off is when folks will stop by and take a look at the stuff I have up for sale and then ask for a bottom line price. I tell them what I want for the car, part, truck cab or whatever it happens to be. They look at me like I am nuts and offer me way less than what the scrap yard would give me for it. Perfect example of this is an older 351W HO engine that I have up for sale, $150.00 takes the beast along with a transmission and some other odds and ends, one guy couldnt believe that I wanted so much money for an engine and transmission. I told him to leave and come back after he got prices from some of the local yards for this engine.

I understand that folks want a bargain, who doesnt, but lets be realistic about this. The stuff I have didnt fly into my yard and land in nice neat rows. I had to haul it in and I will be the first to tell you that some of this stuff took days of sawing trees out of the way and only then could I get at it with jacks and winches to get it onto the trailer for the trip home.

I hate to set my prices based upon what I could get for scrap prices, but what is to prevent someone from offering me half of scrap and then turning around and hauling it in themselves?

That being said, keep looking as that perfect project is way closer than you could ever imagine. Let me know what you are looking for, who knows, I may just have it for you.

i hear ya! i'm like you,stuff didnt just appear in my yard either,it takes time(and effort) to gain a collection of stuff.just the other day,i had a guy say...and i quote.."you should be SHOT for trying to sell stuff here!!" and this was craigslist....the price was very fair,hell it was close to what i paid!its fair to say that there is all kinds of people and all kind of price ranges,and its hard for people to agree on 'em,but people should buy what they can afford and pay what they think is fair and move on.....oh well,getting shot is not in my plans and i really just want to "spin a tire",and maybe still be able to buy the next project....the hobbie goes on!

I agree with ya burns, this past weekend, I had a kid show up wanting a "ford truck tranny to fit my truck that aint broke." After several minutes of Q&A to determine exactly what it was he had and what he needed, I told him I had what he needed in stock, but to come back when he had some cash as I wasnt going to give the tranny away. His jaw dropped and he slowly walked back to his mom's minivan and drove away. I hate to do that, but again, I cannot give this stuff away especially if I have some time or cash invested in it. No I am not mean or anything, I would have worked with the kid, but he has a reputation for screwing people over, so I wont deal with him or his folks.

I agree with ya burns, this past weekend, I had a kid show up wanting a "ford truck tranny to fit my truck that aint broke." After several minutes of Q&A to determine exactly what it was he had and what he needed, I told him I had what he needed in stock, but to come back when he had some cash as I wasnt going to give the tranny away. His jaw dropped and he slowly walked back to his mom's minivan and drove away. I hate to do that, but again, I cannot give this stuff away especially if I have some time or cash invested in it. No I am not mean or anything, I would have worked with the kid, but he has a reputation for screwing people over, so I wont deal with him or his folks.
its a funny little game for some people,i dont mind a little head games(which we all get sonner or later),and i feel the "pinch of the economey as much as the next guy,but you are right also.i just let a guy get a great 302 with trans,rims,and a good,workable car(1988)for.....get ready!....$190.00.trying to help guys out,and you know what?found out it went straight to the scrap iron yard:eek:......so being "the nice guy"can bit you right on the rear.i perfer to hoard my stuff as long as i can,i read people alot more closer...

When scrap was at its highest a full size crown vic ford drained of all fluids, radiator pulled, cats cut off, and no tires would have brought $400.00 at the scales here, so yeah, burns, I see your point about being a little ticked off for trying to help a guy out only to see it get crushed for a few dollars over what was paid for it. I often wonder about folks who do that, once word gets around, they usually wind up out of business around here.

Most of what I have isnt really for sale, its stuff that I picked up here and there as I have needed parts. Sometimes, I have found it cheaper to buy the whole car/truck to get one used part then it is to just buy the one part. Some of the stuff I have, I didnt really want, but had to take to get what I really wanted, but what can ya do.

So I guess if stuff doesnt sell for my asking price it can sit out back until it sinks to China. I hate to do that when I know that some folks cannot afford it, but I have been burned too many times to just give stuff away anymore. Thats not to say that I wont give a sincere car guy a deal, but I do read people a lot better than I used to do.

Latest posts

Back