Cheap alternative to Dynamat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VERY GOOD POST!!! I was just online looking for some type of insulation and sound deadening material to buy for the 48. Then, stumbled across this thread. Very cool.

Peel and seal

Surface needs to be free of any grease or oil. And you need to have a heat gun and a small roller. It's been on the ceiling of my 56 for a year....ain't moved.

I had the opposite experience with the Peel and Stick - It sticks to everything. I didn't use a heat gun, but it was plenty warm. All my surfaces were media blasted, freshly primed and painted - so, no dirt or grease. The stuff has been on the back of the cab and inside the doors for 3 years with no odor and has stayed stuck.

I thought it was a bit difficult to install because it would stick to the scissors and knife. If it touched a surface before it was in place it was a real pain to get loose and repositioned. If it gets stuck to itself -sticky to sticky - there was no getting it unstuck.

I put it on the roof and doors. Roof peeled off, doors worked fine.

I think the peeling has to do with where I live, high humidity and high temps.

I put it on, rolled it and heated it. When it came off the roof it was more like it melted off.

I put it on the roof and doors. Roof peeled off, doors worked fine.

I think the peeling has to do with where I live, high humidity and high temps.

I put it on, rolled it and heated it. When it came off the roof it was more like it melted off.

I bet it left a sticky mess

there is a post on another forum that is many pages long about this. the alternative to lizard skin is a gallon of latex paint with 2 lbs of micro baloons mixed together, then your choice of sticky back to cover the painted surface. lots of comparisons. seems to work well. I'm going to use it in my roadster.

Peel & Seal

Great info on the Peel & Seal at Lowe's, only problem was when I asked for it, they looked at me like I lost my mind. Finally found it on my own in the roofing section. What I plan to do is use it over the coating (similar to Lizardskin with microspheres in it) that I have already applied and then pad and carpet over that in the '56 Pontiac Safari I'm presently restoring. On another note, I helped friends retore a '32 Ford Model B pickup and we tried coating the inside of the cab with a mixture of microspheres (bought from Wick's Aircraft Supply) and exterior latex paint (mismatched paint at Home Depot) and it worked very well. Can't remember the difference in temps when we checked it with a heat lamp on the outside and checked the temp inside, but it was really good. Happy trails.....

I had the opposite experience with the Peel and Stick - It sticks to everything. I didn't use a heat gun, but it was plenty warm. All my surfaces were media blasted, freshly primed and painted - so, no dirt or grease. The stuff has been on the back of the cab and inside the doors for 3 years with no odor and has stayed stuck.

I thought it was a bit difficult to install because it would stick to the scissors and knife. If it touched a surface before it was in place it was a real pain to get loose and repositioned. If it gets stuck to itself -sticky to sticky - there was no getting it unstuck.

I can't believe this tech is still helping people. Since the first time I did it I have used it more times than I can count. I always make sure the part I'm doing is very clean. I have never had an issue with it falling off. As you said, it sticks to everything.lol.. Only bad part is buying scissors. After a few times they are shot. They stick together and I can't get them open. This stuff work great.
The one that was having problem may have been from rusty or dirty metal. That or maybe you ended up with a bad roll that was really old or something. Hard to say. Every time I do one I have the black stuff everywhere. My pants, shirt and I have to wash my hands in gas to get it off. It's worth it though.:D

Just bought two rolls at a local Lowe's. Thank you so much for this thread it came up when I Google'd "Dynamat alternative" and am looking forward to finishing my car stereo installation this weekend.

Thanks

In my 59.9 years I've never heard of this stuff.... thanks for the heads up and you can bet that my 63 Bonne will be lined prior to the new carpeting....

Yup, I used it by last build and I'm currently putting it in my 34. The only problem now it's so cold I have to use the heat gun to warm up the floor and the peel and stick so it will stick!

Peel n seal is great

We use this stuff where I work and I can highly recommend it. We use it to seal and patch holes in mobile office roofs and storage containers as well as seal the mate line on doublewides.

This stuff works great , it was a little cold before we installed the peel and stick in the '36 dodge . I put my under desk heater in the cab for about an hour before installation to warm everything up .

HPIM1167.jpg

HPIM1170.jpg

Grey_Beards_Logo.jpg

Looks good!
One other thing I like about this stuff is the acustics. The cars sound hollow or like you are in a big room with no furniture. Put this stuff down and that goes away. I can tell a big difference just by the sound when the door closed. No more tin can echo.

Latest posts

Back