Cheap alternative to Dynamat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have been looking and thinking about a good and cheap way to cut down on the sound in the cab of my 27 chevy pickup.
i looked at dynamat and the asphalt roofing sheets some folks have used.
i have four demands of whatever i use
1 super cheap
2 it cant soften in the brutal heat of the southwestern u.s.
3 it cant stink
4 it needs to actually work
it is my understanding that the sound deadening is achieved by cutting down on the harmonic vibrations of the sheet steel (among other things)
then i had a brainstorm.
last year i repaired a mobile home roof with a rubber based patching material that dries into a fairly hard but flexible rubber (think tennis shoe sole)that doesnt melt in the sun.
it is applied with a trowel.
so i am going to use this stuff.
i paid $12 a gallon.
trowel some onto the inner roof and doors as well as everywhere else before i put a heat barrier layer .
then put some kind of paneling in.
anyway i just thought i would share my idea.
any thoughts?
bill
p.s.
heres the stuff.

Gardner Gibson 0311-GA LEAKSTOP roof Ptch 3.6qt

I have personally used the Peel n Seal stuff and it works great. It does not stink at all and holds up under very high heat. I used it on the underside of my speedster hood...so it was getting plenty of engine heat, plus TX sun, plus it was hanging upside down!

I just layered the trunk of my Fairlane with it. Love it, easy to work with too.

I have personally used the Peel n Seal stuff and it works great. It does not stink at all and holds up under very high heat. I used it on the underside of my speedster hood...so it was getting plenty of engine heat, plus TX sun, plus it was hanging upside down!

I just layered the trunk of my Fairlane with it. Love it, easy to work with too.

that was my concern.
thanks buddy!

I use Fatmat in all of my builds.Its alot cheaper and works just like the double the price Dynamat. It comes with an applicator roller and trim razor knife. I used one kit that is 50 Sq. Ft to cover my 1950 Chevy truck firewall,floor and about 18 inches up the back of the cab. I couldn't tell a difference when putting it down.

I plan to use peal and seal where I can

But don't think I'd use roofing tar it tends to get sticky when hot. They make a heavy aluminumized paint "cool seal" that might help heat but I wouldn't use it either

last year i repaired a mobile home roof with a rubber based patching material that dries into a fairly hard but flexible rubber (think tennis shoe sole)that doesnt melt in the sun.
it is applied with a trowel.
so i am going to use this stuff.
i paid $12 a gallon.
trowel some onto the inner roof and doors as well as everywhere else before i put a heat barrier layer .
then put some kind of paneling in.
anyway i just thought i would share my idea.
any thoughts?
bill
p.s.
heres the stuff.

Gardner Gibson 0311-GA LEAKSTOP roof Ptch 3.6qt

Years ago I was big in the car audio scene, and we used a bunch of roof sealing stuff in the body panels to dampen areas we couldn't get to with things like Dynamat. I used to spray the stuff using a Wagner power painter, which worked out alright. If I recall correctly we put close to 10 gallons of the stuff in a Ford Explorer.

Good luck!

anybody ever try the micro ballons in the latex paint

thing??? somebody told me that regular latex paint is the same base as the sound or heat insulating base for lizard skin and that they just add micro ballons or bubbles or something like that....anyone got any info as to if that is true or false???

I think you are generally right about that. The insulation comes from the micro ceramic balls and the paint goop just holds it in place.

Side note- I read those micro balls are small and light enough to be breathed in, and once they are in your lungs they ain't a' comin' out. So need to wear a mask at all times. A little scary...:eek:

Well, that could get ugly....

I think you are generally right about that. The insulation comes from the micro ceramic balls and the paint goop just holds it in place.

Side note- I read those micro balls are small and light enough to be breathed in, and once they are in your lungs they ain't a' comin' out. So need to wear a mask at all times. A little scary...:eek:

Don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon.....besides, I kinda like to hear the exhaust rattle the floors and the drone of the motor at speed....why have it if you can't hear it???:D

update
the rubberized roof patch goop did work as far as adding mass to my door panels.
but as soon as lowes opens this am i am off to go get some peel n seal.
i will be covering the entire interior (except ceiling).
i'd love to cover it too but it gets insanely hot in that flat black cab and i dont want that crap falling off and making a terrible mess.
i will post pics

I got my Nova floor covered with it and would compare it in quality to any of the dynamat installs I've seen. I had it in the front floor and fire wall area of my 40 Studebaker for a few years and I can tell you it made a difference in there

I did the floor in my 38 chevy P/U and it made a world of difference. I covered it with carpet and it seems to have made it quiet enough to talk in a normal voice with windows down.
It is getting hard to find it in my area of OKLA lately. I heard they were not going to carry it here anymore. {at Lowes anyway}

It will stay...

I've had it in my truck (daily driver) for 3 years. Ceiling too. Ain't come loose yet! Just gotta be clean where you put it.:D

Lynn

Latest posts

Back