club coupe + business coupe = 3 window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoking

Ok guys, I have done 2 important things. Made the obligitory newbie post and read the four simple rules of the road. Additionally, I do not have anything for sale...so I better post something to share. smile

Please find the following build thread of removing a 1948 Ford Club coupe roof before replacing with a business coupe roof that was chopped 2.5 inches and moved forward a foot to make the proportions work. The donor car "A" pillars were reversed on opposite sides to create new "B" pillars. I can share that there were many times that I just thought the car was totally ruined and that I wasted my time with the effort. Lot's of encouragement from friend and mentor Dutch Comstock + his skills made the start of this project get a great foundation to build upon. It has been 3 years , the chassis is complete with the engine now running and the body is at the paint shop.

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/GC7KK7VR

I hope you like the project.

Regards,
George King
Parker,Co.

354 Chrysler Hemi out of a 1956 Dodge school bus. Bored .030 over to clean up slight ridges at cylinder top. Mild Cam and new air gap intake from Hot Heads. My guess is that the factory 240hp is now up to about 270hp. Getting more hp than this was going to be a lot more money. This is enough hp for a 3200 lb car.

Tranny is a TKO 500 (5 speed) mated to a Hot Head adapter, to a Mopar 318 bell housing with a Keisler hydraulic clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. Note that the throw out bearing gap to the pressure plate fingers is critical.

Rear end is a Ford 9 inch with 373 gear set and large bearing set up mounted with new parallel leaf spring kit.. 31 spline heavy duty axles. way too much for low hp. But fun just the same.

Front end is a mustang II kit from Weimer garage with chrysler ball joints and chevy truck disks and calipers. note: the kit required some trimming of upper hats to get them parallel rather than canted forward. no biggie..just a little troublesome until figured out. ( now noted in their instruction set)

regards,
george

l like it[cl

what motor/tranny/rearend/front suspension?

Later:cool:

It will be painted VERY dark charcoal black in base coat clear coat . Paint is Sikkens and the body work has been a nightmare after so much surgery. Even an un modified black is worrysome. Painting it black after this much whack and weld is almost foolish. The theme is plain, sano attention to detail.
For example: would you notice the hood badge change shown in the pictures below. Nothing fancy...just a little tweak. grin.

Nice piece of work right there. How is it going to be finished up? Welcome to the board and thanks for posting George.

Attachments

• Optimized-hemi354badge.jpg
    Optimized-hemi354badge.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Optimized-superdeluxe8.jpg
    Optimized-superdeluxe8.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 29
That's impressive work right there!:cool:[;)

I really like that you gentlemen have taken the time to notice proper loft of the top as well as hitting the proportion with the shortening procedure. It's turned out looking very much like a similar era Plymouth 3-window... Which is to simply say, your coupe customized has turned out looking like it was born that way. I can think of no higher compliment.

Thanks for taking the time to share your build with the "armchair-and-laptop" builders like myself. I've really enjoyed viewing it and look forward to seeing what you guys come up with next.[P

Regards,
Shea:)

Bumpers,brackets..script 46',47',48 Ford

Ok, so I want to use a "script" rear bumper as part of my theme. Did Ford make a script rear bumper in 1947/48? I have a shiny new 47/48 bumper withOUT the script AND a set of 46 brackets that I have now ascertained don't fit 47/48 bumpers.

Once I figure out what I need , then I can chase it.

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
George
303 847 9980 cell

Progress...

All figured out! 1946 was the only year with a Ford Script rear bumper and the bolt pattern to mount it is different than a 47/48. No problem. I found a used 46 bumper and will weld up the holes that do not work on the 47/8 bracket. Then I will drill a couple of holes where they need to be and file them out to square. This will fix my desire to have a script bumper with a wide pattern mounting hole spacing to go with 47/8 bumper guards. Then off to the chrome plater.

New Item: See attached picture of first paint. It is slick and I am happy with it. The color is "Black Grey" Dodge Big Trucks 2004-2010. NON metallic. It will look great with lots of stainless and my red wheels.
regards,
George

Ok, so I want to use a "script" rear bumper as part of my theme. Did Ford make a script rear bumper in 1947/48? I have a shiny new 47/48 bumper withOUT the script AND a set of 46 brackets that I have now ascertained don't fit 47/48 bumpers.

Once I figure out what I need , then I can chase it.

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
George
303 847 9980 cell

Attachments

• IMG00093-20110805-1253.jpg
    IMG00093-20110805-1253.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 32
Hell of a show. Love what you're doing and am in awe of you guys who can work metal like that. Banging out compound curves to be that smooth isn't learned in an eight hour day, I'm sure. Anxious to see finished project. Nice to see something other than Ford or Chevy coupe. Applause and kudos to all involved.

more ford coupe pictures

sorry Fleetline it's a 48 Ford..smile but I am pleased you like it anyway. thanks

Hell of a show. Love what you're doing and am in awe of you guys who can work metal like that. Banging out compound curves to be that smooth isn't learned in an eight hour day, I'm sure. Anxious to see finished project. Nice to see something other than Ford or Chevy coupe. Applause and kudos to all involved.

Attachments

• fenderpaint.jpg
    fenderpaint.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 17
  • paintprogress.jpg
    paintprogress.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Bumper +wing tips

Hello, I started a little project to add Wing Tips to my front and rear bumpers last night. I had already been collecting parts and have been thinking about an approach. You just never know until you just jump in and have at it.
The pictures show the front of a Wing Tip. Then the bracket that hangs the Wing Tip on the top of the bumper in normal installation. The next picture is my first process. I used a grinding wheel to cut the welds on the bracket. Next is removing the bracket and sanding the residual weld of the back of the Wing Tip using a 2 inch coarse grit ro-loc on my angle grinder. I then bolted the Wing tip to the bumper and used my horizontal band saw to cut through both the Wing Tip and the bumper in one pass to have a perfect mating joint for welding later. You can see in the last picture that the top of the wing tip is now matched to the bumper perfectly including the face of the bumper. The issue I have for resolution is that the bottom of the wing tip goes about 3/8ths below the bottom of the bumper. Therefore , my challenge this weekend is to section the wing tip enough to allow a smooth line across the bottom of the bumper and the wing tip.

I will post progress pictures soon.

Attachments

• wingfront.jpg
    wingfront.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 10
  • wingbackbracket.jpg
    wingbackbracket.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 8
  • bracketremoval.jpg
    bracketremoval.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 7
  • bracketweldsmooth.jpg
    bracketweldsmooth.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 8
  • wingclamped.jpg
    wingclamped.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 11
bumper wing progress

3. Therefore , my challenge this weekend is to section the wing tip enough to allow a smooth line across the bottom of the bumper and the wing tip.

Started the weekend shop time after dinner last night. I picked a spot for sectioning the first wing tip of the four I need to do by making sure there would be enough material left on the smaller piece to be able to handle and clamp to.
1. added tape for a line
2. use my horizontal cut off saw in the vertical positon to enable cutting the radius
3.made the first cut...no turning back now! (pictures1 and 2)
deburred for handling the parts without sharp edges for saftey!
4. remounted the wing tip and clamped it to the bumper for placement.
5. Took the cut off piece and used it for a locator by getting the bottom line even with the bottom of the bumper keeping everything parallel to the floor.(picture3)
6. scribed the Wing Tip for the second cut
7. put tape against my scribe line because I am getting older and it is hard to see(picture4)
8. Band saw cut the section piece off. (picture5)
deburred sharp edges again
9. used my floor belt sander to smooth up both sides to be fitted together
10. put everything together and checked for fit. needs some very slight sanding but I had a long day and am satified with tonights progress (Pictures 6 and7)

Regards,
George

Attachments

• wingfirstcut.jpg
    wingfirstcut.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 5
  • winglookinggood.jpg
    winglookinggood.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 9
  • wingpartsfitted.jpg
    wingpartsfitted.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 10
  • wingsectionedpiece.jpg
    wingsectionedpiece.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 6
  • tapedscribeline.jpg
    tapedscribeline.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 6
  • firstpieceusedforscribing.jpg
    firstpieceusedforscribing.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 5
  • wingonthebandsaw.jpg
    wingonthebandsaw.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 5
more bumper progress

I sectioned the passenger side front bumper wing tip this morning and have everythin ready to weld. See picture with both wing tips sectioned and fitted.
regards,
George

Attachments

• wingsreadytoweld.jpg
    wingsreadytoweld.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 10
welded up and off to the bumper plating shop

Hank from Hanksville Hotrods came by last night to help me by skillfully TIG welding my wingtips for me. Now dont get the idea that I sat around and watched. It was truly a two man job for 3 hours. I ground welds and removed chrome as carefuilly as possible to avoid taking too much material away. We both were paying particular attention to keeping the bumper face joint very flush and the arc consistent with the original bumper flow.
Hank tacked and we both looked it over. If it wasnt right ....( no one's perfect the first time) we cut the tacks sanded for a different fit and tried it again. When all was said and done at the end of the night, we were within a 1/16th of being the same distance from the floor to the bottom of the bumper from the two ends. I have included a close up of Hank's nice welding. The next step is to do the rear bumper once I get a good 1946 unit. The first one I purchased arrived and is just too twisted to use. bummer. Now waiting on another one.
Regards,
George

PS. The bumper guys requested I leave the weld seam alone as they like to cover that detail themselves.

I sectioned the passenger side front bumper wing tip this morning and have everythin ready to weld. See picture with both wing tips sectioned and fitted.
regards,
George

Attachments

• wingwelded.jpg
    wingwelded.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 12
paint is getting close

After waiting a long time, the paint is finally coming together.
regards,
George

Attachments

• coupepaint1.jpg
    coupepaint1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 12
  • coupepaint2.jpg
    coupepaint2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 12
  • coupepaint3.jpg
    coupepaint3.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 13