Cops visited us tonight.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned it takes a certain kind of person to be a cop,you have to be one who likes to have control and power. Their talking to you about your cars and stuff, sure isn't about wanting to know about your stuff, it's more to find out where you obtained it. I think some take "important" pills daily.

Are you for real?

Gassser,
Real shame you didn't tell them how you *really* felt... haha! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB
I once had a Captain tell me he didn't like me stopping cars on the freeway, it's the CHP's job. So explained to him that I needed to take the freeway to get to the contract city and if he was ordering me not to take any police action at an offense committed in my presence, I needed it in writing. He said he couldn't do that, so I told him he had no reason to talk to me. My name came off of the promotion list (LOL).

He was so hated, someone poured battery acid on his car when he was a lieutenant. When he came back as a Captain, someone poured peanuts into his gas tank. Both incidents before I got there (LOL).

Who was it on here that the Cops showed up when they were cleaning their car and the cleaner fumes made the neighbors think it was meth and alerted the police???

Who was it on here that the Cops showed up when they were cleaning their car and the cleaner fumes made the neighbors think it was meth and alerted the police???

That's right, I forgot about that ! :D If I wanted to be a pain about it I could have told them they were at our door, we were inside, and it was the same if they had come to our home.......no warrant, get out. However.....in the real world I like to drive our hot rods around and have never had an issue with the police and don't want any of them as enemies. :eek:

Hope I don't have a drug raid at my shop over the cat nip !!! [cl

Don

Ok....here is my 2 cents....(devil's advocate so to speak)

Not all cops are good "people persons"... just like other people who work other jobs.... Some cops are very "black and white" when doing their jobs....they take their training literally and there is no gray area....again, team this with poor people skills and there you go.... they do not teach public relations in the academy....most teach that you are "in control of every situation and you ask the questions"....add that to poor PR skills and there you go.....
Those cops were doing their job..... seek out and investigate suspicious activity....or, they got a radio call of a complaint by a citizen...Officers have the right to enter private property when investigating......if they feel there is more to it...take my word for it, the cavalry will be called, the area secured and a search warrant obtained.....you won't have to ask for it....lol...
I am not saying that there aren't bad cops out there, I'm saying that in this case the officers saw what they perceived was suspicious activity...based on either their observations or a complaint by someone who saw something they thought was suspicious.....they checked it out and when satisfied that there was nothing illegal, they left...had they thought that something was up, they would have done what I suggested previously....secured the area, got back up and gotten a warrant..... the only thing they didn't do, was be personable.....something they are not trained to do.....right wrong or indifferent..... the job is dangerous and everyone you might is a potential threat....you know you aren't but they don't..... enough said about that....although I'm sure that some of you will disagree.....but isn't America wonderful?? We can speak our minds and give our opinions without fear of reprisal....Gotta love it....

To "Protect and Serve". Seems like that is written on the side of the squad cars around here. Who pays them? Tax payers. Once they determined that Don and Sons were not suspects, then Don & Sons became their employers, in part at least. At that point Don & Sons deserved to be treated with respect. It goes both ways.

And no Sgt., Don & Sons didn't feel they could speak their minds in America the Wonderful, to these two guys because they didn't want any future trouble. If the law biding public fears intimidation and reprisals then something is broken. Maybe "Charm School" should be part of the Police Academy coursework.

In my 70 plus years I have only encountered one police officer that behaved like a jerk. (And in court I proved it was an unjust ticket and won). Police officers have helped me even when I didn't deserve it. I am very appreciative of good officers. I have been on a couple ride-alongs and was impressed with the professionalism. But, just like teachers it seems too difficult for departments to correct bad behavior or fire individuals that aren't suited for the job.

You should talk to your 'buddy officers' and have them 'check them out! Make sure 'they are legit'. Put a 'word' in for you!!?(if they are legit)

outlaws/crooks can 'act' like cops!!

JMHO to your post.....

To "Protect and Serve". Seems like that is written on the side of the squad cars around here. Who pays them? Tax payers. Once they determined that Don and Sons were not suspects, then Don & Sons became their employers, in part at least. At that point Don & Sons deserved to be treated with respect. It goes both ways.

And no Sgt., Don & Sons didn't feel they could speak their minds in America the Wonderful, to these two guys because they didn't want any future trouble. If the law biding public fears intimidation and reprisals then something is broken. Maybe "Charm School" should be part of the Police Academy coursework.

In my 70 plus years I have only encountered one police officer that behaved like a jerk. (And in court I proved it was an unjust ticket and won). Police officers have helped me even when I didn't deserve it. I am very appreciative of good officers. I have been on a couple ride-alongs and was impressed with the professionalism. But, just like teachers it seems too difficult for departments to correct bad behavior or fire individuals that aren't suited for the job.

If I had a dollar for every person I arrested or wrote a citation for that either said, "you should be out catching the real criminals" or "I pay your salary" I'm have a lot more money....LOL.. Yep, citizens pay taxes for us to "protect and serve" but they only want us when there is a problem.....part of the job is also doing property checks, patrol of residential areas, and generally looking for "unusual" activity that normally isn't happening at that hour or in that location....not just cruising the streets looking for speeders and drug deals going on.....did Don really feel disrespected or simply wasn't happy with the officers demeanor???? If they had or have a complaint, call the department...nearly every dept I know has a citizen complaint form or procedure to follow....if a person feels the officers were disrespectful then call....and don't believe all the stories you hear about officers "going rogue" and stalking you if you lodge a concern....it's BS....at least 99.9% of it....

Charm school no, being schooled by their Field Training Officer on proper contact with citizens during their rookie time...YES....those are the people who should be teaching the officers PR skills......shame on them if they don't....

If you have only encountered 1 bad apple in your 70 years, I would have to say that you are the majority and not the minority.....but that one bad apple spoiled the whole barrel and that is unfair.....one bad doctor doesn't make them all bad, and same goes for one bad auto tech or other profession...but people don't scrutinize those occupations....

And you are right.....some cops have chosen the wrong profession and unions keep them working until they screw up once too often....but so do the auto unions and every other union...they protect the sick lame and lazy.....but that's another topic......we've already covered before.....

I was waiting for you to show up Sarge.

You have to think of dealing with police like it is a business transaction, not a social gathering.

Get on with life and smile if the cops are watching your joint for thieves :D

If those same grumpy cops had turned up when someone was doing some midnight shopping at your place would you really be worried if the cops weren't very polite to the thieves. :)

My post was largely supportive of the police. Maybe my point was buried and missed to a degree. Second and last try:

Once the "suspects" are determined to be law biding citizens there is no longer any need for the cops to play tough guy. If they maintain that demeanor, they run the risk of alienating themselves with the public. Do you want to be feared by honest people?

My post was largely supportive of the police. Maybe my point was buried and missed to a degree. Second and last try:

Once the "suspects" are determined to be law biding citizens there is no longer any need for the cops to play tough guy. If they maintain that demeanor, they run the risk of alienating themselves with the public. Do you want to be feared by honest people?

Bingo. That was the part that got to us. We were absolutely accomodating to them and even thanked them for being so watchful over the shop, but they were not very friendly back. I think they were kinda ticked off that we weren't up to something, at least that is the impression we got.

Over my lifetime I have had a lot of contact with the police (in a good way) and 99.9% of them are just regular guys and gals who you can usually have decent conversations with once they know you are a solid citizen. Why those two were like that is something we may never know.

Don

We could argue this forever but it all boils down to personality and integrity...some have it, some don't. We all have police stories to recall.some good, some bad.. bottom line is you cant let a couple of knobheads color your view of all. I had one lie to the judge about a simple traffic violation and then laugh in my face outside...colored my view of him but not all. Just my 2cents!!!

They mighta just been having a bad day too. Better they acted like stiff jerks than to take it out on you.

....Or they really were jerks. Hopefully you never find out.

Yeah, I seem to be drawn to these posts...lol

I was waiting for you to show up Sarge.

You have to think of dealing with police like it is a business transaction, not a social gathering.

I just hate to see people lump us all into one big group...the dep's that had contact with Don were certainly not acting the way they should have....no question....and BobW, I knew you were supportive.....didn't take it the other way, just expanded upon your info..(my 2 cents)...and yes, once they found there was nothing up.....turn off the "all business" sign and go into the "have a nice evening" mode.....but some just can't turn it off and on so well....at least they were doing their job.....watching out for the signs of something being amiss.....can't fault them for that....besides, I just got back from a great vacation in Punta Cana at the Hard Rock and I'm about as mellow as I can get....:) :D

About a cop friend of mine- what you dont know....

I talked to him some time back and he's in couseling after responding to a call where some cracked out woman put her baby in the microwave - and turned it on.

I want to say that I heard this in some bad movie some long time ago but... he's in the counseling. I think/noticed/fealt that he talks about his kids differently - Anyhow, he said before whenever I asked him about being a cop where he told me that he acts "that way" because he's seen people do so much wierd crazy stuff and he doesnt know what to expect.

Latest posts

Back